Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What do we do without Taylor!? (Ed. Ban maintained)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2019

Had the real pleasure of meeting King Arthur a few years back. Smashing bloke and true gent.

It wouldn't just be King Arthur we would need. Merlin and Excalibur to give us a cutting edge and some magic up front.
  • Options
    Taylor missing for three requires the midfield to step up Not sure Grant can score without Taylor holding and creating; he misses too many chances as it is and for sure there will be far fewer without Taylor. Maybe Williams (but with no height), maybe Tarique ( but with inconsistent form) maybe a new striker ( but who will surely need time to see how we play) Hopefully Bowyer has a plan B.
  • Options
    Taylors absence will severely weaken Karlans effectiveness imho.
    Hackett-Fairchild is nowhere near ready and Igor still injured.
    Said before that losing Taylor will leave us mortally wounded.
    Hope somebody steps up to the plate and proves me wrong, but if I was Bowyer I would be pulling out all the stops to bring a striker in pronto
  • Options

thenewbie said:

I see what you are saying but I think that combative, aggressive side to him is what makes him effective - yes he gets wound up but does plenty of winding up himself. Take that away from him and I think he'd lose some of what makes him so good. A spell on the sidelines is the price he (and we) pay for that.

I realise that too.....but it’s a real problem that needs addressing in some way....Jacko must have a word at the very least, although you’d have thought he would have already.
    Not really Bow’s field of expertise........if you get my drift!

Oddly, after being spoken to by the ref before the corner I commented to my mate that he needed to come off the keeper. Having said that, I still don't know what he did wrong.
  • Options

might as well put Fairchild up front, see if he can Hack It ((:>) .. at least he can keep their back four occupied and give Grant and the midfield some space .. one up front just will not be good enough

At the moment he looks a little lightweight....but he certainly has ability.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

thenewbie said:

I see what you are saying but I think that combative, aggressive side to him is what makes him effective - yes he gets wound up but does plenty of winding up himself. Take that away from him and I think he'd lose some of what makes him so good. A spell on the sidelines is the price he (and we) pay for that.

I realise that too.....but it’s a real problem that needs addressing in some way....Jacko must have a word at the very least, although you’d have thought he would have already.

Oddly, after being spoken to by the ref before the corner I commented to my mate that he needed to come off the keeper. Having said that, I still don't know what he did wrong.
    I didn't see it, but I have been told that the second he and the keeper went to ground, he did a little kick out at the keeper. This was before their players rushed in. If true, we haven't got much chance of winning an appeal, but I haven't seen it in any of the footage.
  • Options
    What's Yann doing at the moment?
  • Options
    We can use it to galvanise us more. Use a positive mindset.
  • Options

If Pearce is fit then we could do a lot worse than play Sarr as a striker for three games - although I doubt Bowyer would do it.

Those with long memories would remember a certain Alan Kernaghan regularly switching from centre-back to centre-forward whilst on loan from Boro in 1990/91.

Those with long memories probably still have nightmares about Phil Chapple playing as a striker too.
    And Eddie Youds. That one felt particularly desperate.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Those with long memories would remember a certain Alan Kernaghan regularly switching from centre-back to centre-forward whilst on loan from Boro in 1990/91.

Those with longer memories will remember Paul Went, Eddie Firmani and John Hewie playing in both positions for us as well. John Charles was world-class in both positions. His brother Mel Charles was also good as both. My best example is Roy Bentley, who got too slow for CF and became an excellent CB.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sarr is not a centre forward. If we are chasing the game and pumping balls in, he is worth considering. There is no manager who would start with him up front though.
  • Options
    I am really straining the memory banks here but I am pretty sure that Phil Chapple only started one game up front for us, it was a midweek game up at Sunderland and he played up top with Kim Grant?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Leuth said:

As I said above, the closest to replicating Taylor's link play without disrupting the team too much is probably Pratley, unfortunately

You are now reduced to making up very unlikely scenarios just to dig out Pratley.....fucking ridiculous!

• Options
    I've given Pratley 8/10 and 7/10 in our last two player marks threads! I almost think he could do a job up front
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I've given Pratley 8/10 and 7/10 in our last two player marks threads! I almost think he could do a job up front

He is big enough to hold the ball up, experienced enough to draw a foul. There have been worse ideas mentioned tbh
  • Options
    We need to get someone in on loan. What's Dany N'Guessan up to now days he was ideal when we had him last time.
  • Options
    Was thinking more of a Rob Hulse figure
  • Options
    Naby up front as target man/battering ram, KG and JW running in constant orbit around the Nabster and chasing defenders. Relentless long diagonal balls, determined Dons style “ in the mixer” bombardment.
    Awful to watch but it’ll only be for 3 or 4 games and when done at hi tempo with unwavering commitment it is effective
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do we know when the appeal process starts/ends? From memory they’re usually done and dusted well in time for the weekend?
  • Options

addick05 said:

thenewbie said:

I didn't see it, but I have been told that the second he and the keeper went to ground, he did a little kick out at the keeper. This was before their players rushed in. If true, we haven't got much chance of winning an appeal, but I haven't seen it in any of the footage.
    I heard that too but like your good self, I didn't see it. To be fair the ref blew up almost as soon as the ball was in play. If, as you say, he did kick out then it's pointless trying to appeal.

• Options

Those with longer memories will remember Paul Went, Eddie Firmani and John Hewie playing in both positions for us as well. John Charles was world-class in both positions. His brother Mel Charles was also good as both. My best example is Roy Bentley, who got too slow for CF and became an excellent CB.
    Back in the day I was at The Den when Paul Went played up front - and scored two goals; of course the Spanner's scored three!
  • Options
    Let's face it, we have no-one who can adequately replace Taylor. I guess LB and JJ will have to adjust the squad depending on who we are playing on the day.
  • Options

If Pearce is fit then we could do a lot worse than play Sarr as a striker for three games - although I doubt Bowyer would do it.

Pearce isn't fit and anyway, will miss those games that Taylor could be suspended for.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

might as well put Fairchild up front, see if he can Hack It ((:>) .. at least he can keep their back four occupied and give Grant and the midfield some space .. one up front just will not be good enough

But look at all the different combinations at formation being used in the Premier League by top sides. I know we’re only league one, but to play Reeco, and leave out Fosu or Marshall, seems criminal. There must be a better way.
    Reeco failed a fitness test on Saturday - and unlikely to train this week.

• Options
    I feel like Gary Doherty is probably still knocking about in the bowels of the building. Could dust him off if all else fails.

The obvious solution would be Billy Clarke playing off Grant but I don't think Bowyer fancies that way of playing. Don't really know what the plan is otherwise but I imagine it involves either playing the same way with a square peg or changing the formation to something a bit more Robinson-y. Uh-oh.
  • Options
    It looks to me like Clarke isn't ready. That can take time after a serious injury. Obviously I don't know, but Bowyer isn't using him which suggests this. Away from home you can get away with setting up with an extra midfielder as you don't have the same onus on you to force things and our next two games are away.
  • Options
    Naby as target man? :smile: I believe it's important not to mess with the defence - it's looking pretty steady at the moment. or

Bowyer won't really want to mess with team shape and gameplan. But his hand could be forced.

Funny thing, v Stanley we found that Bielek and Cullen both wanted to play DM at the base of the diamond. And maybe, away from home in a 4-2-3-1 against a promotion challenger, that may work depending on the 3 attacking midfielders in front of them ..... you'd think it would be Reeves Williams and Fosu?

It's more or less how we played the last 10 mins against Accrington, but with Cullen pushed more forward in place of Williams.

Grant playing off the shoulder of their defence, Darren Bent style, might create a big threat, if those AMs could thread the early killer pass .... and get forward to support and get beyond Grant.

My biggest worry is that not having Taylor up front, would mean there's no hold up play - the ball doesn't stick, and it comes straight back to pressure our defence. Short of a loan striker coming in, we've got to find a way to keep possession and to carry a goal threat.

However, the random call for Pratley to move up front might just work. He's got a good engine and a physical presence and could be a hell of a nuisance to oppo CBs. Just don't expect the guile and subtlety of Taylor - but you would get height and strength to attack and defend set pieces. That could be important.

Here on CL we may not know what to do; Bowyer might not either at this stage - but you can be damned sure Peterborough will be training this week to combat our diamond. Maybe we surprise them?