Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match thread: Charlton v Accrington | Sat 19 Jan 2019

Charlton: Phillips; Solly (C), Bauer, Sarr, Purrington; Bielik, Pratley, Cullen, Williams; Grant, Taylor.

Substitutes: Maxwell, Dijksteel, Lapslie, Marshall, Reeves, Fosu, Ocran.

Comments

• Options

Josh Cullen returns to the Charlton team for today’s game against Accrington Stanley after just over two months on the sidelines.

The centre midfielder suffered a dislocated shoulder in the Addicks 2-0 win at Walsall in November and today slots into the Charlton midfield in place of Albie Morgan, who is set for a spell on the sidelines after sustaining an injury in training on Thursday.

Cullen is the only change from the starting XI that beat Shrewsbury Town 3-0 last week with Ben Reeves returning in place of Billy Clarke on the Addicks bench.

Charlton are expected to line-up in Lee Bowyer’s preferred diamond formation with Dillon Phillips in goal behind a back four of Chris Solly, Patrick Bauer, Naby Sarr and Ben Purrington.

Bielik will likely play the holding role in midfield with Cullen and Darren Pratley ahead of him. Jonny Williams, who sparkled in his full debut for the club last weekend, will play behind 28-goal duo Lyle Taylor and Karlan Grant.

Bowyer did start the Addicks in a 3-4-1-2 formation last week and he may do the same this week, if he did, Bielik would likely move into the back three with Solly and Purrington pushing higher as wing backs.

Live commentary of the game is available on Valley Pass
  • Options
    Pratley Cullen and bielik are all cdm naturally quite odd to see them all starting
  • Options
    Who is Ocran please? Another academy product?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I think the 3-4-1-2 makes sense again here unless Bow is pushing Cullen further forward than before the injury.

Otherwise you have both Bielik and Cullen competing for the spot at the base of the diamond.
  • Options
    Ocran ahead of RHF
    Henry still crying
  • Options

Yes - 18 years old. Came from Barnsley last year. Hackett-Fairchild injured.
  • Options
    Apparently they play with wingers so might be to combat the width
  • Options
    Gammon said:

Pratley Cullen and bielik are all cdm naturally quite odd to see them all starting

Does seem we lack width in Midfield. But there's empty space to take advantage of when attacking.

Last week at Shrews, we saw Jonny Williams frequently making runs out to the wing - Pratley's goal came from such a move.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Accrington: Maxted, Johnson, Hughes, Sykes, Gibson, Clark, Finley, Barlaser, McConville (c), Armstrong, Kee

Sub: Evtimov, Brown, Wood, Sousa, Rodgers, Mangan, Conneely
  • Options
    Ocran being on the bench shows it was silly to loan Ajose out before a replacement was lined up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At least there's some creativity on the bench. Pratley has improved slightly in recent weeks but I'm not convinced he should be starting with the fit players we have
  • Options
    Wilberforce Ocran is going to score today. An overhead kick
  • Options

Wilberforce Ocran, a foward.

Bring him on for the last few minutes when we're already 3-0 up and let him score.

Charlton Life goes into pun and word-play meltdown ...

"Can you feel the 'Force?"
    "The 'Force is strong in this one"
  • Options

Ocran being on the bench shows it was silly to loan Ajose out before a replacement was lined up.

Or is it worth taking a look at him regardless to see if it saves the need to even bring another Striker in?

Bowyer did similar with Taylor Maloney earlier this season
  • Options
    If I were the opposition i would a little scared of that team, especially the front 3
  • Options

Perhaps Bowyer couldn't pass up an opportunity to get rid?

Only joking, of course. :smile:
  • Options
    Gammon said:

Would say Cullen is similar in a way to Reeves... i.e. not saying he can play that No.10 role but more of a playmaker who sits in front of the Defence and can defend too

His pass for that first Bradford goal is one example of that
  • Options
    Ocran shows why a replacement is needed, Ajose, Vetokele and RHF would all be better options but none are available, hell even Umerah would have been a better shout, but I believe he is also injured at the moment
  • Options
    RHF would be a better option? Given his sum contribution in games we've seen him in (zero) then I think young Wilberforce needs a go before we start saying that about him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

"Cullen is the only change from the starting XI that beat Shrewsbury Town 3-0 last week with Ben Reeves returning in place of Billy Clarke on the Addicks bench."

Re yesterdays posts on the Billy Clarke thread, looks like he really is offski, then?

• Options
    barstool said:

If I were the opposition i would a little scared of that team, especially the front 3

Yes that’s a good side
  • Options
    Desperately need that additional striker. I imagine Fosu would be used off the bench before Ocran
  • Options
    Anyway, if Wilberforce fails to produce, there's always Wassum Aouachria waiting loftily in the wings
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Leuth said:

RHF would be a better option? Given his sum contribution in games we've seen him in (zero) then I think young Wilberforce needs a go before we start saying that about him

Both of them aren’t ready for League One football. There is no better option between the two.
  • Options
    Fosu for Pratley and it looks a good side
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Taylor involved with 19 goals this season, (scoring and assists), more than any other in the division

Yay! Welcome @ross1!

Afternoon sir, good to see you reporting for duty.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Don't panic.
    Fosu can do the business from the bench in a forward position if Taylor or Grant are knackered or have a knock.

Fosu is inconsistent but can still rip up this division in the rest of season.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Anyway, if Wilberforce fails to produce, there's always Wassum Aouachria waiting loftily in the wings

He's already been loaned to Welling?

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!