Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+*+*+*+*+*ANDY MURRAY TO RETIRE AFTER WIMBLEDON+*+*+*+*+

Comments

• Always liked Murray and huge respect for his achievements.

But greatest British tennis player of all time?

Frederick John "Fred" Perry (18 May 1909 – 2 February 1995) was a British tennis and table tennis player from England and former World No. 1 who won 10 Majors including eight Grand Slams and two Pro Slams single titles, as well as six Major doubles titles. Perry won three consecutive Wimbledon Championships from 1934 to 1936 and was World Amateur number one tennis player during those three years. Prior to Andy Murray in 2013, Perry was the last British player to win the men's Wimbledon championship, in 1936,[4] and the last British player to win a men's singles Grand Slam title, until Andy Murray won the 2012 US Open.

He also won the Davis Cup four years in a row

Perry was a great, but it's impossible to compare players from different eras.
    However, Perry didn't play in an era alongside probably the three greatest players of all time. He did win more Majors though, so it wouldn't be unfair to rank them as equals, not that we really need to do that.

I'm fairly sure Murray will have the op, but whether that'll allow him to compete again at the highest level is questionable. But we all know that if he doesn't he'll be very unlikely to be in better shape at Wimbledon than he was in Oz, and might ended up going out to some unknown, which wouldn't be a fitting end. Post op he might end up pain free like Bryan, so would be in much better shape for Wimbledon 2020.
  • Has had the op... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46916064

We'll now wait and see if that means Retirement or whether we'll see him again one day

Not surprised he's taken this option - The bloke is a fighter, its one thing you need to be able to get to the top of the Sport that you're involved in so imagine he'll want to retire solely on his terms rather than being forced to
  • Supposed to take six months to get back to playing after this op, so I suspect he’s hoping to have an outside chance of making Wimbledon.
    That’ll make the farewell Andy video shown at the Australian open a bit embarrassing!
  • Riviera said:

_MrDick said:

He’s had a similar operation to me. I was pain free after 3 months rehabilitation. 10 years and counting and I’m more active than ever

Have you played at Wimbledon since the op?
    Yes, but his tennis career was never the same afterwards. He did reach the 3rd round one year before losing in straight sets to Jimmy Connors though
  • Riviera said:

_MrDick said:

He’s had a similar operation to me. I was pain free after 3 months rehabilitation. 10 years and counting and I’m more active than ever

Have you played at Wimbledon since the op?
    You know I’m a rugby man. Tennis ain’t my thing :wink:
  • edited March 2019
    Well this could get awkward Andy... We'd all said goodbye, especially Australia lol!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/47466258

Great news regardless though
  • Pain free walking is great for him, but he hasnt been allowed to try any proper training yet, that will be the test to see if he is pain free whilst playing
  • If I had a drink.

I would have thought Richard Murrary is pissing off after AFC Wimbledon at home next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just won his first match back in the Queens doubles.
  • Was well impressed with him today, for a first match back. Some great shots and touch, and no sign of a limp

Even if he couldn't make it back in singles, with his skills you'd fancy him to win loads of titles in the doubles
  • Good to see him back. Saw the last 6 games of 1st set including the tie break.
    Seemed to move well but wonder if he will try to make come back in singles ?
     At this stage of his career with 2 Wimbledon's and 1 USA slam does he want to go through the crazy training he did before and more 5 sets and 4 hour matches ?
  • _MrDick said:
    Me too. I had a hip replacement and then after 2 years started running. 
  • edited June 2019
    Can't see him playing singles in competitive men's tennis again, but professional athletes are a driven lot.  Doubles is far less damaging to the body and he could well have another few years playing if that is the route he chooses to go down.  As a very wealthy man in his early 30s with a family I would say the chances of a few years more followed by a life of impaired mobility and pain versus a couple of years doubles and possibly going into coaching with a healthy body is a no brainer.

I hope he and the very sensible people he obviously has around him choose the healthy option.
  • Andy, just watched your conference. Please don’t stop trying. Keep fighting. I can imagine your pain and sadness. I hope you can overcome this. You deserve to retire on your own terms, whenever that happens. We love you @andy_murray and we want to see you happy and doing well. 🙏
    Have you written it twice for people who can't read twitter?
  • edited June 2019
    Andy, just watched your conference. Please don’t stop trying. Keep fighting. I can imagine your pain and sadness. I hope you can overcome this. You deserve to retire on your own terms, whenever that happens. We love you @andy_murray and we want to see you happy and doing well. 🙏
    Yes I always do with tweets

I post the tweet itself, then copy and paste what it says for the people who cant see the tweet
  • Andy, just watched your conference. Please don’t stop trying. Keep fighting. I can imagine your pain and sadness. I hope you can overcome this. You deserve to retire on your own terms, whenever that happens. We love you @andy_murray and we want to see you happy and doing well. 🙏

I post the tweet itself, then copy and paste what it says for the people who cant see the tweet

I post the tweet itself, then copy and paste what it says for the people who cant see the 

Great idea.
  • Yes. It’s very helpful as at work the embedded tweet doesn’t show as it is a blocked site. 
  • Playing in the Mallorca challenger event this week, if anyone is based locally...
  • Sponsored links:

• Was about to say bearing in mind Wimbledon is 10 months away - how can he know he will retire after it this far in advance?!
  • Was about to say bearing in mind Wimbledon is 10 months away - how can he know he will retire after it this far in advance?!
    He's retiring after this year's Wimbledon.  

But he hasn't decided how many years after this year's Wimbledon it will be. 
  • Everyone knows I dont like Andy but this is very sad to hear. I was just reading and he is in constant pain every day, which is horrible to read. All the best Andy and I hope you manage to have a good run in Australia and France and Wimbledon if u make them
    This is news to me, had no idea you wasn't a fan! Should have said before.
  • been a great champion .. BUT, if he hangs around too long he will become a bit of a  bore .. his singles title winning days are over and I am sure he doesn't really want to be remembered as a superb mixed double player .. or perhaps he does
  • Like most people I think Murray wants to retire on his own terms. 
    The Aussie Open was pre hip operation and he thought he was done physically.
    He had the op and has gradually tested out the hip by playing doubles.
    He is now ready to try some lower level singles and get his match fitness back.
  • edited August 2019
    Call me cynic but his doubles foray was about money, Wimbledon wanted something to shove at the end of the schedule and teaming up with Serena was a crowd puller.  The problem with his singles career is he will have to get his ranking back which demands hard work so I don't think he has much intention on putting himself through that so will just enjoy the doubles meal ticket
  • Call me cynic but his doubles foray was about money, Wimbledon wanted something to shove at the end of the schedule and teaming up with Serena was a crowd puller.  The problem with his singles career is he will have to get his ranking back which demands hard work so I don't think he has much intention on putting himself through that so will just enjoy the doubles meal ticket
    You’re a cynic.
  • edited August 2019
    Call me cynic but his doubles foray was about money, Wimbledon wanted something to shove at the end of the schedule and teaming up with Serena was a crowd puller.  The problem with his singles career is he will have to get his ranking back which demands hard work so I don't think he has much intention on putting himself through that so will just enjoy the doubles meal ticket
    If thats true then why is he playing in a singles challenger event,

Seems to me he is trying to get his ranking back in singles, otherwise why bother.

I have just had a look he isnt in the mens doubles for the US Open, mixed doubles dont seem to have been announced yet
  • He’d have a hard time playing singles in Spain and doubles in NYC in the same week...