Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+*+*+*+*+*ANDY MURRAY TO RETIRE AFTER WIMBLEDON+*+*+*+*+

Comments

• edited January 2019
    He's had a great career that coincided with three of the greatest if not THE 3 greatest players that ever graced the game. He's not had it all easy winning so much as he has.

He's Britain's (don't say that in Scotland) best ever tennis player of either/any gender ((:>) he's won an awful lot of tournaments, made a lot of money, played all around the world and has given us all a lot of pleasure.
    Now the time has come to see the world outside the tennis arena and to relax and enjoy some time with his young family before starting another aspect of his life.
    Well done Andy Murray
  • edited January 2019
    He has been a credit to his sport, his family and himself.

I'm very sorry for him that it has come to this and that he almost certainly won't fulfil his wish of finishing by playing some doubles with his brother before he retires fully from tennis.

Definitely one of our greatest sportsmen.
  • Rothko said:

What a top player and person, probably the greatest British Sportsmen.

I know there's a lot on the Wimbledon wins, but my favourite win of his was Rio 2016 against Juan Martin del Potro in the final, utterly brutal tennis.

This was my favourite. A perfect Andy Murray point - you can see Goffin thinking "Shit, how'd he retrieve that one!?!? Double shit, how'd he get to that one too!?!?!?! Oh fuck!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcNSJIML-3M
  • se9addick said:

Is there actually anyone who still dislikes him because of that joke about not wanting England to win a football match about 100 years ago?

Yes me.
    Cannot stand the bloke.

After that supposedly joke was said. I always rooted for his opponent and never forgave him.

• Great professional
  • edited January 2019
    Always liked Murray and huge respect for his achievements.

But greatest British tennis player of all time?

Frederick John "Fred" Perry (18 May 1909 – 2 February 1995) was a British tennis and table tennis player from England and former World No. 1 who won 10 Majors including eight Grand Slams and two Pro Slams single titles, as well as six Major doubles titles. Perry won three consecutive Wimbledon Championships from 1934 to 1936 and was World Amateur number one tennis player during those three years. Prior to Andy Murray in 2013, Perry was the last British player to win the men's Wimbledon championship, in 1936,[4] and the last British player to win a men's singles Grand Slam title, until Andy Murray won the 2012 US Open.

He also won the Davis Cup four years in a row
  • Always liked Murray and huge respect for his achievements.

Frederick John "Fred" Perry (18 May 1909 – 2 February 1995) was a British tennis and table tennis player from England and former World No. 1 who won 10 Majors including eight Grand Slams and two Pro Slams single titles, as well as six Major doubles titles. Perry won three consecutive Wimbledon Championships from 1934 to 1936 and was World Amateur number one tennis player during those three years. Prior to Andy Murray in 2013, Perry was the last British player to win the men's Wimbledon championship, in 1936,[4] and the last British player to win a men's singles Grand Slam title, until Andy Murray won the 2012 US Open.

He also made decent polo tops
  • Always liked Murray and huge respect for his achievements.

He also made decent polo tops
    That was his son but true.

Was also table tennis world champion and served in the USAF in WW2
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw him polish off Youzhny at Wimbledon in 2013 on day 7, 5 days before he won Wimbledon for the first time. Incredible.
  • For the attention of the BBC and some CL posters.

Andy Murray is retiring; He's not dead.

Yes. We sorry he is retiring. What is your reason for posting?
  • There is a ridiculous modern obsession in sport, and I must say mainly fueled by the BBC, to keep naming people and teams etc as "The Greatest Ever". It is pointless and means nothing, no one can ever be the greatest ever as we don't know what is to come for starters. All sports have changed over decades; technology, equipment, diets, training methods and legal substances have all evolved over time and comparing achievements from different eras is just futile.

Yes. We sorry he is retiring. What is your reason for posting?
    Too many media reports on this story have the tone that he has died.
    OK. Thanks for clearing that up for us.
  • Murray retiring is also the last thing that the LTA want - most people know that the LTA have had nothing whatsoever to do with his success on the court and his absence will, once again, expose their inefficiencies.
  • se9addick said:

Is there actually anyone who still dislikes him because of that joke about not wanting England to win a football match about 100 years ago?

Yes me.
    Cannot stand the bloke.

After that supposedly joke was said. I always rooted for his opponent and never forgave him.

Unsurprising, I think we’ve previously established that you and I don’t always see things the same way!
  • Great news, the blokes as much fun as a set of Alan keys
  • Usual classless comments and cheap point scoring from some "English patriots", and some classy ones too in fairness. Murray gave me one of the most memorable sporting days of my life when he won that first Wimbledon title. A man who stood head and shoulders above any British tennis player since WWII, male or female. Enjoy your retirement Sir Andy, and thanks. :star:
  • Usual classless comments and cheap point scoring from some "English patriots", and some classy ones too in fairness. Murray gave me one of the most memorable sporting days of my life when he won that first Wimbledon title. A man who stood head and shoulders above any British tennis player since WWII, male or female. Enjoy your retirement Sir Andy, and thanks. :star:

Henman all day mate.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Yes me.
    Cannot stand the bloke.

Unsurprising, I think we’ve previously established that you and I don’t always see things the same way!
    Yes from our previous correspondence I would agree with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    I'm really sorry to see he has ruled out playing doubles.
  • I'm really sorry to see he has ruled out playing doubles.

Not really a surprise tho, he has said he is considering another operation just to try and get through every day life
  • For a family of not really Tennis lovers he has given me, the missus and kids some great memories watching matches for 2/3 hours at a time.

The Olympics and winning Wimbledon notably.

not everyones cup of tea but he didnt offend me.

So, stumbled on his match yesterday and ended up watching all four hours with the missus, fcking up my plans for the day BUT, another memorable game watching him.

May have been mentioned elsewhere, his last serve in his last service game was an ACE, very fitting if it was to be his last serve.

Have the BBC responded yet?
  • According to the latest noises from his camp he is actually neither...
  • He was stating after the match he will assess everything after his op, then they played a montage of messages from all other pros offering there messages of support and sorry for him quitting through injury. He didnt look too impressed to be honest.
  • He was stating after the match he will assess everything after his op, then they played a montage of messages from all other pros offering there messages of support and sorry for him quitting through injury. He didnt look too impressed to be honest.

Well he brought it on himself!