Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*Done Deal - Left Back Ben Purrington on loan from Rotherham*

Comments

• Options

Good signing, now just the lad in from Villa and will have been a great window, especially when the treatment room is less congested we will have quality in all positions as well as enabling Bowyer to rotate when needed during the run in.

Not sure how true it was but saw a post on here earlier where Bowyer said there was nothing in the Villa striker rumour.
  • Options

rananegra said:

Was he recalled from Wimbledon just to be loaned to us or was he headed back anyway?
    Be nice to have a left back playing left back

The loan was for a season

Unless Wimbledon sent him back (which In doubt) it's a bit of a slap in the face for them, to have a player recalled by the parent club and then immediately loaned out again to a club in the same division!
    Either want him playing at a higher level (top of league Vs bottom of league) or we were willing to pay a higher % of his wages
  • Options
    I couldn't care less if they are unhappy, that just means its a good signing imo

Good work Charlton/ Rotherham, i am sure he would prefer to play a team who attempt to play good football like ourselves rather than direct/ long ball :)
  • Options

Reading some posts on the Wimbledon forum, really are not happy with us at all, took there only decent defender getting pretty bitter about us.

Understand how they feel

I remember us all being pretty peeved when Birmingham came and took Bouazza from us because Fulham wanted him at a club doing better in the League
    Don't think that Bouzza was playing as regular as Fulham would have hoped at the time.
    Played 24-games for us before being "recalled"
  • Options

Glass houses - we taught Joe Pigott, Terrell Thomas and Scott Wagstaff all they need to know about playing in League 1.
    To be fair they're our cast offs in a way though rather than Wimbledon pinching them from us
    Point taken but, having said that, Taylor spent 3 years and Purrington 3 months at Wimbledon whereas the three I mentioned probably had more than 20 years between them developing as footballers from a young age.
  • Options
    I agree Stevenson looks a good prospect but shouldn’t be in the first team week in week out.
  • Options

Sort of moderately whelmed at this. Good to have another LB in as a quick fix but with young Stevenson around I was expecting the loanee to be a bit more of a step up rather than someone who is not really that much more experienced. Nevertheless, in Gallen and LB we trust so welcome Ben and I hope you give us the width we need.

Stevenson could be great, but from my one viewing of him the other week I didn't think he looked ready to play for the first team.

I don't want to sound harsh, as that's almost always the way with youngsters breaking through for the first time, especially defenders - he played with plenty of ambition to get forward and looked good physically, and I'm not knocking him as a talent for the future at all - but I think we need someone who's played a decent number of games, and this lad has.
    Stevenson will ideal / good enough to face half the teams in this Division

The problem is they're bottom half teams and we need someone who can stop the teams we're fighting against
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Maybe we said we'd take him with a view to permanent signing for a fee in the summer as Rotherham signed him on a three and half year deal for £300k in Jan 2017.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As he's been playing regularly for AFC, no reason why Purrington can't go straight into the team on Saturday

I'd imagine he will do, as will Maxwell.

Maxwell
    Solly Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Bielik
    Pratley Williams
    Fosu
    Grant Taylor

Phillips, Stevenson, Dijksteel, Marshall, Morgan, Clarke, Ajose

Is how I imagine us lining up
  • Options

As he's been playing regularly for AFC, no reason why Purrington can't go straight into the team on Saturday

this
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I'd imagine he will do, as will Maxwell.

Maxwell
    Solly Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Bielik
    Pratley Williams
    Fosu
    Grant Taylor

Phillips, Stevenson, Dijksteel, Marshall, Morgan, Clarke, Ajose

Is how I imagine us lining up
    Except for Pratley, that looks pretty decent.
  • Options
    Another Charlton type signing. Good to see.
  • Options
    It seems slightly odd to be effectively signing a defender from the bottom club of our division, but looking at the table AFC haven't been that bad defensively, only letting in 6 more goals than we have. 20 goals scored in 26 games shows their problem, as illustrated at The Valley where they seemed to be happy to hold out for a nil nil against 10 men!
  • Options

It seems slightly odd to be effectively signing a defender from the bottom club of our division, but looking at the table AFC haven't been that bad defensively, only letting in 6 more goals than we have. 20 goals scored in 26 games shows their problem, as illustrated at The Valley where they seemed to be happy to hold out for a nil nil against 10 men!

If only they had a proper striker :wink: Thanks for Lyle :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Reading some posts on the Wimbledon forum, really are not happy with us at all, took there only decent defender getting pretty bitter about us.

Their turning into a particular bitter bunch. Fuck em
  • Options

Sort of moderately whelmed at this. Good to have another LB in as a quick fix but with young Stevenson around I was expecting the loanee to be a bit more of a step up rather than someone who is not really that much more experienced. Nevertheless, in Gallen and LB we trust so welcome Ben and I hope you give us the width we need.

I would say on paper this is a step up from Stevenson and he is a lot more experienced than Stevenson as well, more than 50 games for Plymouth, 40+ combined for Rotherham and Wombles. So you are looking at over 100 appearances probably (can't rely on Wikipedia) for a 22 year old, he can't be worse than what we have at left back.

All the best to him, it means we can finally have Solly in position again while having a competent player take his place
    Yep. On reflection I think I was a little harsh. I hadn’t realised Ben had played so many games.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Just asked my Rotherham-supporting workmate about him - he says, and I quote: 'he's good.' Actually named his cat after him. True story.

Let's hope he's got nine lives like the cat then with injuries :wink: .
  • Options
    No idea whether this is a good or bad signing, we did need a left back, i like Stevenson, but its a huge risk playing him there if we have aspiration of promotion.

He needs game time , but its not fair on him to have that sort of pressure on his shoulders.

I really hope he will continue to improve with age , its a catch 22.

Welcome on board Mr Purrington!
  • Options

Just asked my Rotherham-supporting workmate about him - he says, and I quote: 'he's good.' Actually named his cat after him. True story.

I thought it was only saddoes like Mendez who named their cat after a player :wink:
  • Options

Good name for a cat though to be fair!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Welcome Ben and ALL the very best during your time at CAFC ..he's ok heightwise for a full back 5' 10" ((:>) .. I've not seen him play .. The Millers paid a decent fee for him and he's lots of L1 experience this season .. sounds like a good un

His uncle is Richard Hill, an essential member/regular starter in England's RFU World Cup winning team in 2003, let's hope that Ben is as tough and durable as was Nuncs.
  • Options

Yeh course he did - he probably just didn't want to admit that he named the cat after Michael Jackson's rat. Either that or he's got a strange affinity with a footballer:

Ben, the two of us need look no more
    We both found what we were looking for
    With a friend to call my own
    I'll never be alone, and you, my friend, will see
    You've got a friend in me