Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shrewsbury v Charlton | Sat 12 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• 1-2 to Charlton but I'm not overly confident, especially if their game is still to kick lumps out of us.
  • 1-2 to Charlton but I'm not overly confident, especially if their game is still to kick lumps out of us.

It's a man's game
  • clb74 said:

1-2 to Charlton but I'm not overly confident, especially if their game is still to kick lumps out of us.

It's a man's game
    That's my concern.
  • I have a good feeling about this . 2-0 to the Addicks . Both goals from Grant .
    I shall be a bit further north as I’m watching my local side , Biggleswade Town playing in the FA Trophy at AFC Fylde
  • I have a good feeling about this . 2-0 to the Addicks . Both goals from Grant .
    I shall be a bit further north as I’m watching my local side , Biggleswade Town playing in the FA Trophy at AFC Fylde

Fylde's ground is a little gem of a place, much better than Fleetwood's
  • Maxwell
    Dijksteel, Bauer, Sarr, Solly
    Bielik
    Pratley, Lapslie
    Fosu
    Taylor, Grant

I think it will be a battle, hench why id go with Lapslie and not Williams, maybe tight at the hour mark approaches then Williams to come on and do the business.

0-2 Grant, Williams either side of the break.
  • PS I’m heading up with four others any idea on ticket sale numbers??
  • PS I’m heading up with four others any idea on ticket sale numbers??

• Purrington has been playing regularly this season and is match fit.
    I expect to see him start.

It's so unusual for Cafc to sign a player who is match fit. In fact he had played more games this season than anyone else in our squad !
  • Sponsored links:

It's so unusual for Cafc to sign a player who is match fit. In fact he had played more games this season than anyone else in our squad !
    Oh bollox I didn't know that.
    So he is knackered and will now be rested for a few games:)
  • If we win it will be a double, and compensate a bit for the double done by Coventry over us.
  • Purrington to start and hence claim V872 ahead of Maxwell who will be on the bench.
  • seth plum said:

If we win it will be a double, and compensate a bit for the double done by Coventry over us.

We also done the double over Walsall.
  • I am quietly confident which is why I am worried...

1-1
  • Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Bielik
    Lapslie Williams
    Fosu
    Taylor Grant

Subs Morgan, Marshall, Maxwell, Dijksteel
    Ajosie, Pratley and Stevenson.
  • Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Bielik
    Lapslie Williams
    Fosu
    Taylor Grant

Subs Morgan, Marshall, Maxwell, Dijksteel
    Ajosie, Pratley and Stevenson.

Whoever starts, it's looking a much stronger bench than of late.
  • Sage said:

Solly will be at right back, Purrington will be at left back, and Williams will start.

My preview and prediction to come later.

My preference
  • I reckon our line up will be:

Maxwell
    Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
    Williams | Bielik | Lapslie
    Fosu
    Taylor | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Stevenson | Dijksteel | Morgan | Marshall | Ajose | Pratley

And the score will be 3-1 to us
  • 2-2 or 1-1
    Williams and Purrington to start. Maybe Maxwell too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Start half-asleep.
    Go 1.0 down.
    Half time bollocking from LB
    Equalize via scrappy goal.
    Play superbly but dont score.

• Shrewsbury Town v Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 12th January 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Anthony Backhouse (Cumbria)

Introduction

Despite the continuous noises being made in the background its not been a bad start to 2019 for the Addicks; two games in having played Walsall and Sunderland (both at the Valley) and we find ourselves undefeated with four points, performances appear to be stable and there could be arguments that Charlton deserved more last weekend. Yet we can’t dwell on past results though, its onwards to the next game and our first on the road in 2019, it’s a trip up to Shropshire and Shrewsbury Town this Saturday as we look to keep this run going!!

The Opposition
    Name: Shrewsbury Town | Manager: Sam Ricketts
    Ground: The New Meadow

Ask any Salop fan if they thought that this season would be similar to the last and you’d probably get few agreeing with you – Losing your best players and manager to the Championship is always going to be a tough ask and that showed at the start of the season with Shrewsbury’s first win only coming in mid-September. Yet under John Askey the club showed promise and it was only thanks to a late Karlan Grant goal that saw the Addicks victorious at the Valley in August.

Relegation has remained a concern though and despite picking up a further two wins in October it would be curtains for John Askey – Ironically that decision came just a few weeks after Paul Hurst was sacked by Ipswich Town leaving you wondering if there would be a quick reunion, that wasn’t to be the case and Shrewsbury made the brave decision by turning to yet another Conference Manager in Sam Ricketts from Wrexham.

For the new man it’s been much the same story (proof that changing your Manager isnt always the root cause of the problem; just ask Hull City!!) – Just the one win has been achieved coming at home against Coventry yet once again the inconsistencies of teams at this level have allowed Shrewsbury to slightly pull above the relegation zone, although with just three points between them and the dreaded dotted line, I don’t see this being an end to their difficult season in transition!!

Charlton Team News
    Its as you were really in regards to the squad… Our New Year began with Jamie Ward and Jed Steer returning to their respective parent clubs – It meant that against Walsall and Sunderland we were a player short yet with Jonny Williams incoming it at least meant we had options from the bench. Having had a week training with his new team mates you’d expect the Welsh International to now take his place in the starting line up

As already mentioned; with Jed Steer being forced to return to Aston Villa it meant we were lacking an experienced Goalkeeper; Lee Bowyer though has wasted no time in bringing in another Welshman in Chris Maxwell; signed on loan till the end of the season from Preston North End; Maxwell is certainly no stranger to this level having played two seasons with Fleetwood before his move to the Championship, the big interesting point about the team sheet on Saturday will certainly be around who starts between the sticks!!

Phillips
    Dijksteel | Bauer | Sarr | Solly
    Williams | Bielik | Pratley
    Fosu
    Taylor | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Stevenson | Morgan | Purrington | Marshall | Ajose | Clarke

Prediction
    This might not be as straight forward as it appear on paper… When you look at the form guide there is only one winner: Charlton, yet Shrewsbury arent going to lay down and accept that, they’ve drawn the last two with one of those coming at the Stadium of Light – Our record at Shrewsbury is certainly nothing to shout about, our 2-0 win there last season being just our second ever win in Shropshire, the other coming in our first ever trip up that way in the old Third Division in 1972!!
    L3-1
  • edited January 2019
    I'm certain we'll set up more like this:

Phillips
    Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
    Morgan | Bielik | Williams
    Fosu
    Taylor | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Stevenson | Pratley | Dijksteel | Marshall | Ajose | Clarke

Purrington is match fit and apparently in form at the moment (according to many AFC W fans on their forums).
  • Fear that Purrington is in for a bit of a shock with the lack of support he is going to receive from our system.

Really hope we stuff these lot though!

You reds!
  • Fear that Purrington is in for a bit of a shock with the lack of support he is going to receive from our system.

Really hope we stuff these lot though!

You reds!

Purrington is in for a bit of a shock because he is now playing with a top six side and not the team bottom of the table.

Unlike Robinson's team, this team is more attack minded so will at times leave defenders exposed.
  • But he is a left back which is probably an improvement.
  • After two back to back away defeats, I have us to bounce back to victory on the road.

2-0 Charlton, Taylor x2.

Really optimistic with the new signings and a couple of players back from injuries. Having a full bench with Lapslie and Reeves back will make a huge difference. If we have any chance of promotion we must start winning on the road.

Phillips,

Solly, Sarr, Bauer, Purrington

Morgan, Pratley, Bielik, Fosu

Taylor/ Grant

• Has it been confirmed that Lapslie is available? I just assumed he would be but haven’t seen anything?

We’ll sort that out for him!!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!