Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

*Chris Maxwell (goalie) signs on loan deal*

1235»

Comments

• I hope we sign a permanent keeper at some stage but seems unlikely.
  • Preston after another keeper now?
    Burnley goalkeeper Joe Hart, 31, is a target for Preston who want the former England international on loan. (Sun)
  • Why does everyone just assume that Phillips will be dropped?

I don't think he will. I think LB will play him until he makes a mistake. Whether that is he lets in a soft goal, or has a poor game in some way, the shirt is his to lose.

Only then do I think LB will start Maxwell.

I think Dillon might start on Saturday but only to let Maxwell bed into the club. I’m confident that Maxwell has been brought into the club to be number one.

People keep saying Bowyer doesn't rate Phillips.

I've not heard any whisper or read between the lines that thats true.
    It's more likely that Bowyer doesn't want to rely on a keeper still learning his trade, he wants the finished article.

Having said that, I also reckon Dillon will start on Saturday.

It's good player-management to bench the new boy and let him settle in ...... and tell Phillips it's up to him to prove that he should keep the shirt. Bowyer has said he wants keeper competition .... and Maxwell hasn't come here to be No2.

• Oggy Red said:

Why does everyone just assume that Phillips will be dropped?

I don't think he will. I think LB will play him until he makes a mistake. Whether that is he lets in a soft goal, or has a poor game in some way, the shirt is his to lose.

Only then do I think LB will start Maxwell.

I think Dillon might start on Saturday but only to let Maxwell bed into the club. I’m confident that Maxwell has been brought into the club to be number one.

People keep saying Bowyer doesn't rate Phillips.

I've not heard any whisper or read between the lines that thats true.
    It's more likely that Bowyer doesn't want to rely on a keeper still learning his trade, he wants the finished article.

Having said that, I also reckon Dillon will start on Saturday.

It's good player-management to bench the new boy and let him settle in ...... and tell Phillips it's up to him to prove that he should keep the shirt. Bowyer has said he wants keeper competition .... and Maxwell hasn't come here to be No2.
    The issue is probably more to do with Maynard-Brewer

Whilst Phillips is still learning his trade; Maynard-Brewer is only just starting out in his... If anything happens to Dillon then we are truly buggered, ideal case for him is that we sign a Stuart Taylor type goalkeeper who would be happy sitting on the bench but wonder if there arent any like him available
  • Preston after another keeper now?

Burnley goalkeeper Joe Hart, 31, is a target for Preston who want the former England international on loan. (Sun)
    Is Hart not starting for Burnley at the moment?
  • edited January 2019
    se9addick said:

Preston after another keeper now?

Been dropped the last few games in favour of Tom Heaton yet Nick Pope is back now too (was in goal for the FA Cup)
  • ross1 said:

Swisdom said:

LB clearly doesn't rate Dillon - that much is clear. He'll be off in the summer

Like Pope, never good enough for us, but.......
    Pope was the established first team keeper when he left. If Burnley hadn't come in for him, I'm sure he would have stayed with us.
    I agree, I thought he was good enough, but many on this forum, and other forums, gave him stick, I never understood why
  • se9addick said:

Preston after another keeper now?

Been dropped the last few games in favour of Tom Heaton yet Nick Pope is back now too (was in goal for the FA Cup)
    Cheers
  • ross1 said:

ross1 said:

Swisdom said:

LB clearly doesn't rate Dillon - that much is clear. He'll be off in the summer

Like Pope, never good enough for us, but.......
    Pope was the established first team keeper when he left. If Burnley hadn't come in for him, I'm sure he would have stayed with us.
    I agree, I thought he was good enough, but many on this forum, and other forums, gave him stick, I never understood why
    Because we have some dumb fans....
  • Preston have bought Connor Ripley from Middlesbrough (previously on loan at Accrington) so think Maxwell will eventually be a permanent signing (if he proves half decent) ...
  • Sponsored links:

• I know Connor and he is a great goalie a great lad and will have a great career

And saved two last min pen against Milwank the other season and I told him I loved him
  • Preston have bought Connor Ripley from Middlesbrough (previously on loan at Accrington) so think Maxwell will eventually be a permanent signing (if he proves half decent) ...

Slightly odd to buy someone who's got minimal experience in the Championship and loan out someone who's played there more often and is only 3 years older
  • Bet Accrington are going to suffer now they've lost Ripley on loan though

Seems to be a lot of clubs thinking about recalling their loanees this January, more so than usual if feels

Slightly odd to buy someone who's got minimal experience in the Championship and loan out someone who's played there more often and is only 3 years older
    It does seem strange that Maxwell has gone from first choice last season to so far down the pecking order in pretty short order.
  • edited January 2019
    se9addick said:

Preston have bought Connor Ripley from Middlesbrough (previously on loan at Accrington) so think Maxwell will eventually be a permanent signing (if he proves half decent) ...

It does seem strange that Maxwell has gone from first choice last season to so far down the pecking order in pretty short order.
    Not if you've had a bust up with the management team and there are now irreconcilable differences. I don't know but it is possible as his fall from grace after a penalty he gave away and subsequent sending off in the 1-1 draw at Ipswich. Here's his manager's take on it;

“Both Declan and Maxi have had moments when they have performed very well, and moments when they could have done a bit better. “Hence they have been switched around. “If you look back, Maxi was in the team until Ipswich when he was sent off. “That naturally changed the situation, Declan came in for the Bristol City game which we won and he kept a clean sheet.”

Read more at: https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/alex-neil-on-why-chris-maxwell-had-to-leave-preston-north-end-1-9528089
  • But he has had no promises that he will come straight into the South Londoners’ side.

“That’s not been spoken about. And I don’t think it should be said either. You’re not a successful team with just 11 players – there are 25 in a squad, and every single one of them needs to be champing at the bit to play.

“My experience is only going to be a good thing. It’s weird only being 28 and viewed that way. If I can use that in any way to help the , or the younger lads, I will be doing so.”
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-new-boy-maxwell-on-leaving-preston-north-end-and-two-things-that-every-goalkeeper-has-no-excuses-not-to-be-good-at-doing/
  • Preston keeper Conor Ripley is out for the season. Wonder if they have a call back clause on Chris Maxwell.

That would just about round up a well and truly crap window for the addicks.
  • Preston keeper Conor Ripley is out for the season. Wonder if they have a call back clause on Chris Maxwell.

Debated on the Dillon Phillips thread earlier here:

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/84623/dillon-phillips-signs-new-contract-to-2021#latest
  • edited February 2019
    Preston keeper Conor Ripley is out for the season. Wonder if they have a call back clause on Chris Maxwell.

You can’t recall players outside of transfer windows so we don’t need to worry about that.
  • Subbed on at half time for Hibs at Paradise
  • Sponsored links:

• Subbed on at half time for Hibs at Paradise
    Has he not been there 1st choice keeper most of the season??

Getting subbed on not a big thing for him, probably disappointed he was on the bench to begin with
  • Been recalled by Preston from his loan @ Hibs and have been released allowing him to find a new club
  • I thought I'd heard he's signing for Blackpool?

• Oggy Red said:
    I thought I'd heard he's signing for Blackpool?
    Yeah I saw that mentioned in another tweet just a second ago