Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Sunderland : 5th January 2019

Comments

• Options
    Can we have an interpreter for Jack Ross please?
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Can we have an interpreter for Jack Ross please?

@Weegie or @Sillybilly :wink:
  • Options
    @JohnfromNorfolk You took your time, I was back in North Norfok two hours before you! What was your mode of transport, horse-drawn carriage?

You should have driv, the roads were nice and clear; barely saw a car on the road from Mundford through to Swaffham and Fakenham. Even had the fun of listening to City concede an injury time winner against Pompey.
  • Options
    Apologies if mentioned already but how poo were the pre-match “Wembley 20th Anniversary Charlton” penalty takers and keeper?
    That bloody Clive Andersen would have had more chance if he’d have hit it with his blooming tennis racket bless him....
  • Options

Good coverage on quest tonight.

I enjoyed it
  • Options

Just arrived back in Norfolk (did I beat you back Briston).
    My thoughts on the game.
    The crowd fantastic, even when we were one down.
    Maybe the prospect of seeing the back of Roland has given us all a lift.
    The team. Dillon was o.k. not sure he fills me with a lot confidence, but having a run of games he will improve.
    Dijksteel improved after a shaky start and Solly was, well Solly.
    Bauer looked strong while his C.B. mate Sarr was outstanding.
    His tackle to rob the Sunderland forward as he was breaking through was immense, he came out with the ball and joined the attack.
    He can certainly hit a good cross field pass.
    Enjoyed Morgan in midfield. He justified his place in the starting eleven.
    Fosu excites and frustrates as does Bielik.
    Bielik has tons of ability and reads the game well for a 22 year old but some times dwells on the ball and gets caught in possession.
    Pratley was busy without being spectacular.
    On another day Karlan would have scored but where has his fellow striking partner Taylor been hiding for recent years.
    Sunderland found him unplayable at times. As another poster said - probably our best striker since Kermorgant.
    Nice little cameo from Williams, he will prove to be a useful asset to the squad
    Overall the second half performance (forget the first half when we could have been a couple of goals down) was as good as any I've seen for a long time.

Were you on a dj coach by any chance?
  • Options
    another aside .. Colin Murray was at the game today and someone mentioned that Jim White was also there .. this of course is adding credence to the (whisper it) imminent take over rumours .. also, on my part, it was very nice to shake the hand and have very brief chat with the admirable Paul Mortimer, still a fine figure of a man, even if he is a much bigger man (rather like myself) than used to was ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thoroughly enjoyed today's match.

After the first 35 mins or so, it felt like we had OUR Charlton back.

Thought everyone played their part, albeit after a sluggish start but special plaudits must go to Bielik , the Nabster and , as always, our Lyle.

Great to see all the happy Addicks making their way out of The Valley, smiling & to hear their excited , positive chatter.

Sadly, there was one negative that I feel I have to mention.

Having a nice drink with our gang pre match, when a young lady approached me, bent down and asked " Are you Grant's Grandmother ?"

My initial reaction was to ask "Grant who" before realising I don't have a grandson by that name.

To which she replied " Grant Basey".

I answered in the negative so she went away saying " I know she's here somewhere!"

Now, I'd like all my Lifer pals to be honest in their response although my Xmas card list is close at hand.....

Hand on heart, do I look as though I have a 30 year old grandson , which would make me possibly around 80 ?

Or, could this have been a dare .....

( Mr F advises everyone to think very carefully before posting their thoughts....)

:neutral:

I've seen you run so no you're too quick to be a Basey :wink:
  • Options

anyone know the attendance

16,317, including 3,125 Mackems.

So 13,192 home fans. I would suggest that there were actually somewhere near that amount of home fans in the ground.

If there were 12,000 home fans there (and I'd say there were more than that).
    It's arguably double many of the actual home fan attendances in the last few seasons.

Also it's about 50% up on the actual bums on seats home attendances this season, where there's possibly been about 8,000.

A far cry from a couple of predictions saying we'd have an extra 200 today, as it was an extra 3000/4000.
    This NEVER happens, for all sorts of reasons. I doubt if there were 12,000. But as you say a big increase on previous matches this season, including Gillingham, and a sign of what could be achieved regularly again once he’s gone.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

And please do not allow KAG to take free kicks with chances to score. Getting too Billy Big Bollxx.

We don't have a KAG. Billy Big Bollxxes hyphenate their surnames, not de-hyphenate them.
  • Options

anyone know the attendance

16,317, including 3,125 Mackems.

So 13,192 home fans. I would suggest that there were actually somewhere near that amount of home fans in the ground.

If there were 12,000 home fans there (and I'd say there were more than that).
    It's arguably double many of the actual home fan attendances in the last few seasons.

Also it's about 50% up on the actual bums on seats home attendances this season, where there's possibly been about 8,000.

A far cry from a couple of predictions saying we'd have an extra 200 today, as it was an extra 3000/4000.
    This NEVER happens, for all sorts of reasons. I doubt if there were 12,000. But as you say a big increase on previous matches this season, including Gillingham, and a sign of what could be achieved regularly again once he’s gone.
    No clue how many were actually there but it most certainly was a lot busier than it has been. Was great to see The Covered End so full and where I was sitting, all around me was packed.

Definitely become more of the same once he’s gone.
  • Options
    Haven't seen a game like that in years ..was convinced we d win ..bowyer got them to come out fighting in the second half and I thought our support was brilliant!
  • Options
    Going against the grain a bit here but I think a point was more than fair......we were abysmal for the first 40 mins (not 20 or 30 as some on here have said) and Morgan's run & shot was our first effort on goal. We could (and should) have been 3-0 down by then, with Wyke missing a decent chance & then missing the rebound off the bar a little later. How LB can't see that Solly should be at RB AND that Prately should not even be in the squad is beyond me.

However........

The 2nd half showed that football isn't all about pass & move......the long ball can be just as effective. With Sunderland playing a high line there was lots of room for Taylor to exploit......and boy did he do that. His hold up play is excellent & for a tall lad his close control & dribbling is top notch too. Just need him fit for the rest of the season.

At half time I would have bitten your hand off for a point & at full time I was happy to hear the whistle. Both teams had chances to win the game but on reflection a draw was a fair result.
  • Options
    Haven’t read posts so apologies if duplicated lots...

My thoughts:

Morgan is one for the future
    Loved Mendonca song from North upper
    Taylor ran rings around them 2nd half
    Comedy gold 1st touch of ball “joniesta” passed to Lee Bowyer
    Joniesta looks class (after that!)
    Loved Roland bye bye song from North Upper
    Pratley not hitting the target from a pretty open goal was shocking from my very near seat
    Grant not in the game today really - it happens
    Their number 9 was shocking - should have had 3 goals in 1st half
    Glad we were not 3 or 4 down at half time
    2nd half CAFC showed that we really can be the real deal with so many injuries to go up

Great game of football

COYR’s
  • Options

@JohnfromNorfolk You took your time, I was back in North Norfok two hours before you! What was your mode of transport, horse-drawn carriage?

You should have driv, the roads were nice and clear; barely saw a car on the road from Mundford through to Swaffham and Fakenham. Even had the fun of listening to City concede an injury time winner against Pompey.

Hi Briston
    Stopped off at W/Spoons in Newmarket for a meal and pint.
    Light traffic all journey.
    Bad day for City.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

My thoughts on the game.
    The team. Dillon was o.k. not sure he fills me with a lot confidence, but having a run of games he will improve.
    His tackle to rob the Sunderland forward as he was breaking through was immense, he came out with the ball and joined the attack.
    Bielik has tons of ability and reads the game well for a 22 year old but some times dwells on the ball and gets caught in possession.
    On another day Karlan would have scored but where has his fellow striking partner Taylor been hiding for recent years.
    Sunderland found him unplayable at times. As another poster said - probably our best striker since Kermorgant.
    Nice little cameo from Williams, he will prove to be a useful asset to the squad
    Overall the second half performance (forget the first half when we could have been a couple of goals down) was as good as any I've seen for a long time.

The DJ coach?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019

cabbles said:

My thoughts on the game.

The DJ coach?
    Valley Away supporters coach(es) goes all round South East London and Kent border for a couple of hours picking up before leaving Charlton :wink: .
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

My thoughts on the game.

The DJ coach?
    Valley Away supporters coach(es) goes all round South East London and Kent border for a couple of hours picking up before leaving Charlton :wink: .
    Errr no.
  • Options
    That felt like a proper football match today. Like when we used to be good!

Still not sure about this diamond formation. Some weeks it works and like the first half today, sometimes it doesn't. We end up very narrow in midfield and the fullbacks get no help at all. Dijksteel was all over the shop trying to deal with two attackers on his own and was way out of position for the Sunderland goal. Not picking on him - nobody else was marking the scorer either, I just think the system doesn't help and leaves him exposed at times. He kept fighting though and was a lot better in the second half. Nobody ahead of the fullbacks leaves no option but a load of pointless side to side passing across the back four too. I had more than enough of that under Robinson.

Liked the look of Williams, direct and trying to make things happen. I hope he can stay fit for a decent run in the side.
  • Options
    A game of two halves but we deserved to win it on the 2nd half performance. Special mention to Sarr, Solly, Taylor, Morgan. I thought they all had very good games. Grant also played well.

We should have won that but going a goal down after 1 minute is unforgivable really and gave us a lot to do. Had our backs against the wall right from the start but, all in all, we deserved to win it in the end. Shouldn’t have gone a goal down though.

• Options
    For those not on twitter

Great away day that. Fantastic stadium, almost a hybrid between an old fashion ground and a modern ground. Fair play to the Charlton fans in the top of that covered stand. Sang all game. https://t.co/fLmcXavmxd
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Can somebody sit Fosu down and tell him to watch McGeady's play today and how to link up with your left back to create space and get crosses in.

So many times in the Walsall game that Stevenson was overlapping but Fosu chose to come inside every time and eventually lost the ball.

Ok sometimes that works but it would be good to mix it up and keep the defence guessing.

Yeah, he's got distribute quicker. He was dispossessed far too much.