Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Sunderland : 5th January 2019

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Cracking game of football!

Il call you out but if you are the bloke in the west upper who called Lyle Taylor a “Primadonna” in the first half and pushed me when I whispered that word in his ear after we scored....have a lovely evening!

Some of our lot continue to baffle me! One of the most old school centre forwards we have had since Kermogant and he gets called a primadonna??!!

Sarr and Dijksteel were the two who stood out for me today! Dijksteel who is forever isolated is so so underrated! Sarr was the only player who attempted to go forward in a shocking first half!
  • Options
    Spanish said:

Spanish said:

Apologies for repeating most of the above but that sideway passing crap, negative possession, at home, when losing is totally frustrating and pointless. When we upped the anti from the end of the first half in to 2nd, Sunderland looked VERY WORRIED ! Second half was incredible, Taylor unplayable, plenty promising signs from JW. It is no surprise that Phillips lacks confidence having been overlooked when Steer was with us. We need another keeper. The marking for their goal was schoolboyesque.

Need to make the most of our opportunities.

Please now Roland, give us the best news ever....

Don't think Phillips was lacking confidence, his kicking isn't best but his throwing was top drawer.
    He looked very uncomfortable and certainly didn't seem to be on the same wavelength of the defenders....
    Good to see the usual positive feedback about Phillips.
  • Options

Surprisingly only 4 points better than last season as it feels better than that. Parkinson can definitely feel hard done by for being sacked in 2010/11 with 47 points!
    Higher expectations back then. Now we're used to this shit.
  • Options
    They ganged up on Dijksteel and that led to their early goal. We were lucky not to be at least two goals down at half-time. Second half, just wow! But we missed our chances: Kyle one on one, Pratley a free header and Grant missed several half chances. A draw was probably right but we did well for an injury wracked team. Nice atmosphere with the much bigger crowd. You know what to do Roland!
  • Options
    PWR. Entertaining game. Bit slow out of the blocks first half. Not the greatest of games from Fosu or Dijksteel. Bielik solid as ever and both Taylor and Grant (should’ve passed in front of goal at least twice) ran their legs off. Improved towards end of first half and much improved in second half. Nice cameo from Williams but not surprised he gets injured a lot if he runs at defenders full pelt! Big crowd - felt a bit like the old days. Thought we should’ve won it...
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    For 30 minutes Sunderland looked very good - we came into it more towards the end of the half. They escaped defeat in the second thanks to a ref that allowed them to foul when we got past them which was pretty often. Was chatting to my son in the first half about how good Sunderland looked but I did say, they are in league one for a reason and we have to find that reason, I think we did in the second half. They will be grateful for the point. Considering our injuries, Bowyer deserves a lot of credit.

Taylor was immense, closely followed by Sarr.
  • Options

Awful first half, we were being torn a new one down our right and Djksteel was terrible (admittedly with no help)

Totally different side in the 2nd half and we should’ve gone on to win it.

Taylor quality bit Belik is an absolute beast, what a player at only 21

Just about a fair result when I reflect and watch the highlights later on.

Crowd were superb and the ground was noticeably much busier than normal, NU felt pretty full and Lower a lot busier....good day all round

I’m sorry, I appreciate everyone is entitled to their opinion but I couldn’t disagree more!..Dijksteel suffered from Bowyers stubbornness in sticking to a diamond formation in the first half although over the whole game his tactics came off! Dijksteel was undone down his side within the first 2 minutes for the goal yet for the rest of the first half was doubled up on so many times!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spanish said:

Spanish said:

Apologies for repeating most of the above but that sideway passing crap, negative possession, at home, when losing is totally frustrating and pointless. When we upped the anti from the end of the first half in to 2nd, Sunderland looked VERY WORRIED ! Second half was incredible, Taylor unplayable, plenty promising signs from JW. It is no surprise that Phillips lacks confidence having been overlooked when Steer was with us. We need another keeper. The marking for their goal was schoolboyesque.

Don't think Phillips was lacking confidence, his kicking isn't best but his throwing was top drawer.
    He looked very uncomfortable and certainly didn't seem to be on the same wavelength of the defenders....
    2 games since Sept and against a top 6 side he has every right to be pal.

Done everything needing doing on the day.
  • Options

Have to give another mention to big Naby. Most of us would dread seeing his name on the sheet but now I have no issues and think he is a pretty assured player. The odd mistaked but I would rather that and allow him to grow than do the easy job of hoofing the ball at every opportunity.

I think Nabys improvement this season has to be down to Lyle, Lyle said he wanted to make Naby more nasty and imagine in training everyday you are up against Taylor for practice rather than the likes of Magennis or Ajose.

Can't like this enough as I was his worst critic
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Spanish said:

Spanish said:

TBF he's got a RB at LB, a RB who wouldn't be in the team, a slow CB in front of him and Nabby Sarr who played well again but is prone to the odd error.
    Considering Phillips has been a number 2 for 2 years he's doing fine. I do think we have been spoilt with Amos and Steer.
    We will be lucky to find another keeper of their class to play in League 1.

I remember Pope and Etheridge being criticized. Yet last I heard they were both playing in the Premier ( I know Pope is crooked at mo)
  • Options
    Though how Grant missed that chance at the back post I’ll never know
  • Options
    Fuck me, how young is our fucking side.
    I love this team.
  • Options

I think his, Lyle's and Pratleys were all extremely poor misses. Lyle puts his chance away we would have ran away with that game probably
  • Options

Fuck me, how young is our fucking side.
    I love this team.

And, I don't blame you at all but you boycotters are missing out best side and comaradery for years of not decades
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

At least Grant gets in those positions to miss, and if he stays fit will have 20 goals by end of season.
    The Pratley header was worse as he had more time to pick his spot.
    Both Karlan and Lyle have missed sitters this season but they are still the best pair we''ve had for a decade.
  • Options
    Bielik only 21? Bloody hell what a player he will be.
  • Options
    anyone know the attendance
  • Options

16,300 I think
  • Options

Was that the attempt where he flicked the ball at goal?

If so I thought the Goalkeeper saved it?
  • Options

16,500 - 3,000 Sunderland
  • Options
    Really good game. Sunderland should have been 3 up by half time but in the second half we missed a few golden chances as well

Draw a fair result. Shame with all the injuries we'll realistically not be able to challenge for top 2