Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views: Charlton v Sunderland : 5th January 2019

15678911»

Comments

• edited January 2019

When I was a very successful coach I explained to my under 11's side that don't do back passes because:

1. The pitches are mainly shite and too many bad bounces.
    2. The reason our keeper Jack is between the sticks are, he has wonderful hands and two left feet.
    3. Most goals will be scored in the penalty area or from a Max of 20 yards so keep the ball away from our area at all costs.

I understand why we did it Saturday was to get some passes going and stop Sunderland's momentum but it took 30 plus minutes for young Morgan to run at them and get a shot on target.

I would never boo back passes but we do overdo it and we were getting closed down so quickly by the wearsiders that it was only when we became more Pro active at getting forward did we start to gain control after 35 minutes.

But if you were coaching Barcelona you wouldn't, I don't think there is any problem passing back and keeping possession, what is important is that you don't just pass the ball in front of teams and you can play through them.

My son is the keeper in our team and is up there with the most skilful players in it. Players tend to be goalkeepers because they are good goalkeepers.
  • Richard Cawley's report on the match.
    A proper crowd and a proper match – it was like someone had flicked a switch to show what life would be like freed from the shackles of Roland Duchatelet’s reign.

Except the Belgian businessman is still the owner. Despite fresh takeover speculation exciting supporters – daring to dream once again of a brighter future – it only matters when there is some kind of official announcement.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-sunderland-game-was-a-glimpse-of-what-the-valley-would-be-like-in-a-post-roland-duchatelet-era/
  • Diamond formation provides absolutely no width. You have 4 midfield players in the same 20x20 yard area, all facing their own goal, when in possession at the back. Solly and Djiksteel were pinned back by Sunderland two wider forwards, so when Bauer and especially Sarr had the ball, the options are extremely limited. It’s no surprise that when we went direct, with Taylor’s aerial ability and Pratley, Fosu and Morgan picking up the second ball, that we got joy. I’m really not a fan of the diamond formation, particularly against a well organised and intelligent side like Sunderland, if we are going to go short from Phillips. I just don’t think we have the intricate players in midfield required to play that system in that way in League One.

I mentioned this earlier .. in the 2nd half we played with a flat 4 in midfield .. that suits our skill levels and defensive 'strategy' much more that the diamond .. I hope Bowyer keeps to the 'flat 4' and abandons the diamond which, with all respect, depends on quicker full backs and more skilled midfielders that we can call on at present
  • Lewis Page and Josh Cullen have been great mates since the age of 9.
    Went through the West Ham academy together.

Probably one of the reasons that Cullen came to Charlton?