Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lack of English managers in England - why?

13»

Comments

• Options

The thread is organically moving in another direction

I think it's more a case of some residents of Madrid having to hand their sense of humour in at the start of every day :wink:
    Just seemed a bit irrelevant to the conversation to be honest, but guess it is pretty funny. Maybe it might be one way to get more English managers in the Premier League! At least no one ignored this comment like your previous one about English managers though ;)
    You saw through my 'they ignored my first post so I'll have another bash at it'?

Damn!!!! :smile:
  • Options

Chunes said:

EPL is the best league in the world so a club will have the best manager it can afford.

That's taking from a worldwide pool.

So in a worldwide pool of the best managers, English managers represent a small percentage.

So there won't be a lot of English managers in the EPL.

But even if the EPL is the best, surely La Liga isn't far behind and they have far more homegrown coaches.

I think the argument about FA funding for coaches and English players' own managerial ambitions is far more relevant.
    If you step down to the Championship and all leagues below... I mean I can't be bothered to do the research myself, but I would hazard to guess 95%+ are British managers. So it's not like there's a lack of them.

Likewise, if you look beyond managers and at the players in Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga... I think you're going to find a far larger proportion of homegrown players than in the EPL. (In fact, if the EPL didn't have laws for a minimum amount of homegrown players in each squad, it'd probably be even less).

The other leagues don't have the luxury of pulling the best players and managers from all over the world, whereas the EPL does.
  • Options
    Of course, why wouldnt Huddersfield appoint the manager of a german reserve team...

"Huddersfield are bottom of the Premier League on 11 points - 10 adrift of safety - with 15 games remaining....."We enjoyed tremendous success under our previous head coach, David Wagner, and we've subsequently appointed a new head coach that bears many similarities to him; a young, aspirational German from Borussia Dortmund II."

Pick the holes in that statement....
  • Options
    Insane appointment by a club trying to look like they have a clever approach.
  • Options
    Seems to me like Huddersfield have accepted relegation and are preparing for next season in the championship already
  • Options
    Counting the numbers of non UK managers (excluding British born managers who played for another country like Hughton and Moore)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Premier_League_and_English_Football_League_managers

PL - 15 (FIFTEEN)
    C - 4
    L1 - 2 (including the Irish Coughlan at Brizzle who's spent most his career over here)
    L2 - 2 (including the Tunisian Maamria at Stevenage who's spent most his career over here)

It's very much a PL thing
  • Options
    I heard a great argument regarding OGS, that was from a diffrent angle. Unfortunately I can't remember who made it. The point was though that there are 2 types of teams and managers. Those that excel at keeping the ball and those that excel when they don't have it.

Big Sam always argued that he could play more expansive football if he had better players but never got the chance to prove it. The top six, especially after the Moyes experiment, we always get a manager with experience of managing with the ball. As they can't, normally take each others managers, it's obvious why they look abroad.

The "smaller" premiership clubs is a different story and probably more worrying. I would imagine it's partly to do with credibility in the dressing room. If Neil Harris rocked up at Huddersfield, for example, would he have any credibility with the players? As I see it the thinking is a Wagner clone would have with Wagners players.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I heard a great argument regarding OGS, that was from a diffrent angle. Unfortunately I can't remember who made it. The point was though that there are 2 types of teams and managers. Those that excel at keeping the ball and those that excel when they don't have it.

Big Sam always argued that he could play more expansive football if he had better players but never got the chance to prove it. The top six, especially after the Moyes experiment, we always get a manager with experience of managing with the ball. As they can't, normally take each others managers, it's obvious why they look abroad.

The "smaller" premiership clubs is a different story and probably more worrying. I would imagine it's partly to do with credibility in the dressing room. If Neil Harris rocked up at Huddersfield, for example, would he have any credibility with the players? As I see it the thinking is a Wagner clone would have with Wagners players.

There is a logic to keeping the same style of manager, I could never see Huddersfield bringing in Big Sam or Hughes to replace Wagner.

Palace for example went from Big Sam to De Boer, and it was a disaster as he was unsuited to their players and playing style. Tragically they quickly rectified this and brought in Hodgson.

Man U have struggled, partially because they replace SAF with managers who play less attacking football, which is what the club and supporters expect. Now they have someone who wants to play the "United way" which automatically gets the fans on side.