Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'New' Away Fans Pub?

Comments

• Options
    Had to laugh about Sunderland fans drinking in Woolwich. When we were up there in 2000 we spoke to this bloke and he said he and his mates had a great day out in Woolwich when they came down for our home game. At the time it was impossible to have a great time in Woolwich.
  • Options

I had thought that the plan was to open up the top bar in the Swan for Trust members.

Not sure how advanced that is but thought the Trust had invited the Chairman of Accrington Stanley to speak before the game on 19th and that was the venue.

Yes, that is the plan for 19th with a view potentially to making it a longer term arrangement. Watch this space.
  • Options

Had to laugh about Sunderland fans drinking in Woolwich. When we were up there in 2000 we spoke to this bloke and he said he and his mates had a great day out in Woolwich when they came down for our home game. At the time it was impossible to have a great time in Woolwich.

Sunderland makes Woolwich look like Kensington.
    I didn't think the centre of Sunderland was that bad actually. The Wetherspoon was fine certainly!
  • Options
    CatAddick said:

Blucher said:

Following the demise of the Antigallican, I expect that the Rose of Denmark and the Anchor & Hope will become the most popular local pubs for away fans, although a good number will probably continue to stop off in Greenwich or Blackheath en route.

Since the closing of the Anti the Rose has been home fans only with door checks. Yesterday there were a couple of Old Bill outside moving any mackems on towards the Angerstein
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. completely understandable on the part of the Rose but a bit of a shame.

The Anti had become a total fleapit but it did serve a purpose in syphoning off a good number of away fans. Good news that the White Swan is opening the upstairs bar, as long as they can staff it properly and ensure plentiful beer supplies.
  • Options
    As I said, I think White Swan upstairs may be for CAST members only...
  • Options

don't really understand how they will police that they can barely remember who is next at the bar - common sense would also say don't have people sitting at the bar on busy days.

there are 3 or 4 biggish lads that get there for opening sit at the bar and get increasingly pissed off when people bump into them
  • Options

Yes, I saw that. Perhaps an incentive for people to join.
  • Options

Anchor was too busy and five deep at the Bar on Saturday by all accounts

The Rose was sending Sunderland supporters in this direction
  • Options

don't really understand how they will police that they can barely remember who is next at the bar - common sense would also say don't have people sitting at the bar on busy days.

there are 3 or 4 biggish lads that get there for opening sit at the bar and get increasingly pissed off when people bump into them
    Exactly! Match days move the bar stools out of the way!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen on Twitter that the Merdian Sports club bar will serve drinks at club member prices if you show a match or season ticket. Only a 10 minute walk down hill from there
  • Options
    Got a few mates from Brighton coming up tommorow, what's the best away pub for them to visit near the ground? I usually drink round London bridge.
  • Options
    Got a few mates from Brighton coming up tommorow, what's the best away pub for them to visit near the ground? I usually drink round London bridge.
    Greenwich
  • Options
    I don't think there are any decent away pubs near the ground. I assume most away fans just drink around London Bridge 
  • Options
    Send em to those horrible tarted-up Dial Arch and Guard House things in Posh Woolwich 
  • Options
    the police prefer away fans to use the Angerstein.
  • Options
    Thank you all, I think Greenwich might be best as I guess it would be easier to park there too?
  • Options
    Been in The Angerstein with some mates kf visiting clubs and it's not bad now it's been done up 
  • Options
    Thank you all, I think Greenwich might be best as I guess it would be easier to park there too?
    Parking in greenwich is not easy mate
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Quite a distance from the ground though, when compared to staying in London Bridge and getting a train straight to Charlton station
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Parking in greenwich is not easy mate
    Fair enough, to be honest I'm not with them anyway tommorow, so that'll be there problem 😂
  • Options
    Has anyone tried meantime brewing co? 
  • Options
    Drinking with some Brighton fans in the Pelts then BBNO tap room. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Almost nearer to Brighton.
  • Options
    Easy to park in Greenwich…..no fucking way Ad…..it’s a nightmare.😩
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    The angerstein really isn’t THAT far , it’s a couple of minutes on from the Pickwick (RIP) which was a standard home pub. But anyway, more to the point, it’s 30 seconds walk from westcombe park station which is much easier to just jump on a late train for 2 mins , 1 stop, than London Bridge.

i think it’s a good shout 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    The angerstein really isn’t THAT far , it’s a couple of minutes on from the Pickwick (RIP) which was a standard home pub. But anyway, more to the point, it’s 30 seconds walk from westcombe park station which is much easier to just jump on a late train for 2 mins , 1 stop, than London Bridge.

This is what i would advise too. Saves running the gauntlet of the Rose of Denmark too, if they were in ambush mood.
  • Options
    What about the 'Anchor In Hope' on the Thames Path in Anchor In Hope Lane ?
  • Options
    Has anyone tried meantime brewing co? 
    Yes - excellent beer and really good food. Generally no queue for the bar, either. My number one choice if you don't mind a walk to the ground. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:

Good luck doing that walk in 30 seconds.