Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

To go or not to go, that is the question

123457»

Comments

• Options

Davo55 said:

I, like quite a few others, was a believer that Jim White wouldn't get it that wrong as a professional journalist and went along last Saturday to watch the match. Head in my hands for the first 30 minutes but enjoyed the second half. However I have been duped (as has Jim White) by the Roland propaganda machine and recognise my failings. I will go to the odd away match but the boycott is back on until the sale goes through. If the propoganda machine effort was to show prospective buyers what could be achieved it may have been worth it but otherwise I will forego the pain and pleasure that has always been watching my team until the deluded, wealthy Belgian has gone

I genuinely think that RD and RM believed that a takeover would happen quickly a year ago but, when it stalled, they noted how the wave of optimism had encouraged some fans to return and also how it dampened the protests, and they've been spinning the same yarn ever since.
    I disagree with that para @Davo55

In my opinion, those ‘returning’ due to a wave of optimism around a potential sale are far far smaller in numbers in comparison to those who ‘returned’ because things by and large had moved on from what’s they were protesting against, or that protesting had by and large. run it’s course. There was Meire, Driesen, Fraeye, Nobby Vinegar rumours, inadequate shipped in players with no care for our club, defeats, disorganisation and no heart. There was no taking on board supporter dissatisfaction and there was a gulf between the fans and almost everything connected with the club

Roland may well be ‘here’, but there’s no Meire, Fraeye & co, nor experimental network nonsense. We this season have a football management team we could not dream of getting better than, two high profile names from the Book of Charlton who know this club and English football inside out. We have signed some excellent players and have a team core and togetherness that supporters can relate to and buy into. The football-to-fan relationship is as strong as it’s been for years. Despite being two years into him wanting to sell we’ve still brought in 3 players during the first week of the window. Above everything else, we are competitive and winning games.

That’s why imo people have been coming back. JW’s claims last week were clearly speculative rather than factual and in my heart I’m not sure if people come on Saturday for the first time it was 100% down to a Talksport presenter. Just my view.
    Correct. I was protesting mainly about the absolute circus of selling our best players at low prices and replacing them with inappropriate inadequate players.

I was protesting against the farcial manager merry go round. The recruiter being Driessen. The sheer incompetence and disrespect shown by Meire. Against RD not caring and so much more.

But most of this farce stopped with the appointment of Slade.
    Ok Slade & Robinson weren't great appointments, but that's just normal football decisions.

I still want RD to sell up to heal the divide and increase our support, but not sell to anyone who could be worse.

I don't want someone who will be as frugal as RD and then put us into administration within 5 years for instance.

I don't want someone who would move us out The Valley and down to near Ebbsfleet for example.

Some fans may never return, if they will only return when we get a "really good" owner.

But each to their own.
    Hurrah for Roland. Did you believe Turkey was joining the EU as well?
    Don't be silly.
    A response like that makes you sound like you would rather we were in administration or forced out of The Valley.
    Certainly no hurrahs for Roland from me.
    I despise the man, but I do have enough intelligence not to want worse.
    Nobody will ever propose moving Charlton to Kent because it’s a ludicrous business proposition. The only person who has suggested it is Meire, because it is a line they concocted. You’re playing their game when you trot it out.

No problem with people being enthused by improvements on the pitch, but it’s naive to think that can solve the fundamental problem.
    You just can't say "nobody ever" as you have no idea what's possible in the future, I bet once upon a time "nobody ever" thought we'd groundshare with Palace.

Covered End gave an example of something an owner worse than RD could do, that's not being naieve, it's being open to possibilities. To think it's impossible to have an owner worse than RD is naieve.
    I'm with you here - land prices for significant chunks of land like ours and millwall's grounds, although not prime at the moment, are rising and if an alternative venue is provided, planning could be granted to build houses and that is a fact.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Davo55 said:

I, like quite a few others, was a believer that Jim White wouldn't get it that wrong as a professional journalist and went along last Saturday to watch the match. Head in my hands for the first 30 minutes but enjoyed the second half. However I have been duped (as has Jim White) by the Roland propaganda machine and recognise my failings. I will go to the odd away match but the boycott is back on until the sale goes through. If the propoganda machine effort was to show prospective buyers what could be achieved it may have been worth it but otherwise I will forego the pain and pleasure that has always been watching my team until the deluded, wealthy Belgian has gone

I genuinely think that RD and RM believed that a takeover would happen quickly a year ago but, when it stalled, they noted how the wave of optimism had encouraged some fans to return and also how it dampened the protests, and they've been spinning the same yarn ever since.
    I disagree with that para @Davo55

In my opinion, those ‘returning’ due to a wave of optimism around a potential sale are far far smaller in numbers in comparison to those who ‘returned’ because things by and large had moved on from what’s they were protesting against, or that protesting had by and large. run it’s course. There was Meire, Driesen, Fraeye, Nobby Vinegar rumours, inadequate shipped in players with no care for our club, defeats, disorganisation and no heart. There was no taking on board supporter dissatisfaction and there was a gulf between the fans and almost everything connected with the club

Roland may well be ‘here’, but there’s no Meire, Fraeye & co, nor experimental network nonsense. We this season have a football management team we could not dream of getting better than, two high profile names from the Book of Charlton who know this club and English football inside out. We have signed some excellent players and have a team core and togetherness that supporters can relate to and buy into. The football-to-fan relationship is as strong as it’s been for years. Despite being two years into him wanting to sell we’ve still brought in 3 players during the first week of the window. Above everything else, we are competitive and winning games.

That’s why imo people have been coming back. JW’s claims last week were clearly speculative rather than factual and in my heart I’m not sure if people come on Saturday for the first time it was 100% down to a Talksport presenter. Just my view.
    Correct. I was protesting mainly about the absolute circus of selling our best players at low prices and replacing them with inappropriate inadequate players.

I was protesting against the farcial manager merry go round. The recruiter being Driessen. The sheer incompetence and disrespect shown by Meire. Against RD not caring and so much more.

But most of this farce stopped with the appointment of Slade.
    Ok Slade & Robinson weren't great appointments, but that's just normal football decisions.

I still want RD to sell up to heal the divide and increase our support, but not sell to anyone who could be worse.

I don't want someone who will be as frugal as RD and then put us into administration within 5 years for instance.

I don't want someone who would move us out The Valley and down to near Ebbsfleet for example.

Some fans may never return, if they will only return when we get a "really good" owner.

But each to their own.
    Hurrah for Roland. Did you believe Turkey was joining the EU as well?
    Don't be silly.
    A response like that makes you sound like you would rather we were in administration or forced out of The Valley.
    Certainly no hurrahs for Roland from me.
    I despise the man, but I do have enough intelligence not to want worse.
    Nobody will ever propose moving Charlton to Kent because it’s a ludicrous business proposition. The only person who has suggested it is Meire, because it is a line they concocted. You’re playing their game when you trot it out.

No problem with people being enthused by improvements on the pitch, but it’s naive to think that can solve the fundamental problem.
    You just can't say "nobody ever" as you have no idea what's possible in the future, I bet once upon a time "nobody ever" thought we'd groundshare with Palace.

Covered End gave an example of something an owner worse than RD could do, that's not being naieve, it's being open to possibilities. To think it's impossible to have an owner worse than RD is naieve.
    I'm with you here - land prices for significant chunks of land like ours and millwall's grounds, although not prime at the moment, are rising and if an alternative venue is provided, planning could be granted to build houses and that is a fact.
    Planning could be granted but the costs and practicalities are fixed. The site poses considerable problems for residential development which will always limit its attractiveness to developers.
  • Options

If people didn't go there would be no team to support as they would fold...then what would you do....I hate Roland more than anyone but love the team more.

That doesn’t seem to have happened at Blackpool.
    Not yet....
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Greenie said:

Ive read this thread with interest and have been biting my lip not to respond.
    Fact is people are making excuses to go but really there is no excuse to go, a person like the Rat only exists to make more money today than he had yesterday, by not going it reduces his income, this hurts him.
    A total boycott would have hurt him financially and dented his reputation as well, imagine the adverse publicity if there was not one person at the Valley, there is no doubt that the club would be sold by now.
    The ‘I’m allright Jack’ attitude the permeates society now, is in microcosm within our fan base, how can people be taken seriously when on one hand they all bitch and moan about the owner, then on the other shell out for tickets thus putting dough in his pocket?
    I have been to all the initial post match demos even bought the protest shirt etc., but quickly realised that a full boycott was required, and believe me it’s tough and I’ve been going since 74, especially since we are doing well, I doff my cap to all those that went to Belgium to protest, but then I think why do all that and then (some) give him money, it doesn’t make sense.
    Having said all the above I respect people’s decision to go, because it’s what we do as fans of our club, it’s part of our DNA, however don’t be under any illusion that you are helping get rid of him, by going and lining his pockets, you’re not!
    Following the debacle of the longest alleged sale in footballing history with the rat messing everyone about due to his greed, now is the time for those who go to put the club first and boycott even for just one home game.

So imagine this scenario..
    I have a young son who was just getting into all things Charlton when all this kicked off. Should i have said "sorry we're not going, i'm boycotting " or should i have done what we did and join all the protests, buy the shirt, badges etc and enjoy a bit father /son stuff.
    I know i did the right thing.
    You did the right thing for you and your son not the club.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

cafc_se7 said:

Greenie said:

Ive read this thread with interest and have been biting my lip not to respond.
    Fact is people are making excuses to go but really there is no excuse to go, a person like the Rat only exists to make more money today than he had yesterday, by not going it reduces his income, this hurts him.
    A total boycott would have hurt him financially and dented his reputation as well, imagine the adverse publicity if there was not one person at the Valley, there is no doubt that the club would be sold by now.
    The ‘I’m allright Jack’ attitude the permeates society now, is in microcosm within our fan base, how can people be taken seriously when on one hand they all bitch and moan about the owner, then on the other shell out for tickets thus putting dough in his pocket?
    I have been to all the initial post match demos even bought the protest shirt etc., but quickly realised that a full boycott was required, and believe me it’s tough and I’ve been going since 74, especially since we are doing well, I doff my cap to all those that went to Belgium to protest, but then I think why do all that and then (some) give him money, it doesn’t make sense.
    Having said all the above I respect people’s decision to go, because it’s what we do as fans of our club, it’s part of our DNA, however don’t be under any illusion that you are helping get rid of him, by going and lining his pockets, you’re not!
    Following the debacle of the longest alleged sale in footballing history with the rat messing everyone about due to his greed, now is the time for those who go to put the club first and boycott even for just one home game.

People aren’t making an excuse! To all of us it is a way of life, some people find it easier to stick to their guns than others! It’s not about people finding excuses!

Do you pay tax? I expect so.

Do you moan about paying tax? I expect so.

Do you live in caravan with our travelling community to stand against it? I am guessing not?

It’s about choices! It’s the law that we pay taxes, we have no choice.
    It’s not the law that we have to go to football.
    People are selfish and currently if you go to the valley then you are endorsing the owner.
    Actions speak louder than words, all this, but it’s a way of life, support the team not the regime, is just regurgitated over and over almost as a verbal wall to hide behind. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions. Also it’s some life when you are being fucked over. Most Saturdays I’m sat at home watching Stelling and co just waiting, wishing for a goal from our team, yep it’s crucifying me, but it’s the right thing to do, until the day he sells.
    Also if we were in the relegation zone and getting stuffed 4-0 every week then there would be less people going, that tells me that although the owner has properly eroded the ethos of CAFC, which has been the core of the club, especially since 92, then as long as we are doing ok, then that is just fine with some fans.
    I wised up two seasons ago and really don’t understand why people can’t see it for themselves?
    Like I say I respect that they have an opinion but I find it rather sad hearing all the excuses to go.
    Finally, I don’t understand your last point?
    The place has changed a bit since 2 seasons ago, thanks to Bowyer and Jackson.

As mentioned by others, Roland remains an absent owner and he needs to sell, but the influence from Belgium seems a lot less.

And from the outside looking in, more sensible decisions seem to be happening re. player recruitment, apart from the obvious lack of squad depth.

Charlton is your club, so I don't think anyone would see you as being selfish if you bin off Soccer Saturday and get yourself down the Valley for the rest of the season. Just don't buy any refreshments or merchandise.
  • Options

Its all about personal choices and what they believe to be best for their personal sittuation and values.
    I have no problem with boycotting, but i have a problem with people boycotting for boycotting sake, as almost, oh thats what i did 1/2/3 years ago, so i'll continue . Re-evaluate the situation - does it meet with your expectation? is really what you are/were boycotting for the situation now?. Have your values changed? or your vision of the club changed? - I just get the feeling that some people are boycotting just for the sake of it- and its almost a 'badge' to do so -and almost a habit for some.

Entry to The Valley gives Duchatelet money, f*** that!
  • Options

Its all about personal choices and what they believe to be best for their personal sittuation and values.
    I have no problem with boycotting, but i have a problem with people boycotting for boycotting sake, as almost, oh thats what i did 1/2/3 years ago, so i'll continue . Re-evaluate the situation - does it meet with your expectation? is really what you are/were boycotting for the situation now?. Have your values changed? or your vision of the club changed? - I just get the feeling that some people are boycotting just for the sake of it- and its almost a 'badge' to do so -and almost a habit for some.

Entry to The Valley gives Duchatelet money, f*** that!
    Hello, my mate bought it for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

People need to remember that Bowyer and Jackson are not in situ by design but because they were the cheapest/easiest option at the time. Things may have improved on the pitch but you are comparing it to some real shit in the last few years.
    We should not be grateful that we are currently, but not necessarily ultimately, able to compete with sides like Luton, Portsmouth, Barnsley, Doncaster and Peterborough this season (I'll leave out Sunderland).
    As things stand we do not appear to be any closer to the departure of Roland than we were a year ago and, in my opinion, now is the time to resume protests not to support the team, difficult though that decision may be for some.

Out of curiosity what would we all be protesting about if they resumed? To persuade RD to sell? he's selling the club, it's for sale and his asking price has been met apparently. We want him to speed the process up? if a price is agreed it's out of his hands surely. And where would protests take place? At The Valley where we've won 5 and drawn 2 out of the last 7 or another trip to Belgium?

Would resuming protests even be up for debate if Jim White hadn't raised our hopes last week? Not digging you out, would just like to understand why the need to resume protests when with a bit of luck automatic promotion still isn't out of the question. We all want RD gone but I need convincing what resuming protests would actually change.
  • Options
    It would be pointless starting up the protests again, they are water off a ducks back as far as Roland is concerned. Anyway there have some great shots of our fans in the away ends at grounds this season and there has not been a black & white scarf to be seen.

My boycott continues until he has gone, not a badge of honour just me holding back my money from Roland.

#notapennymore
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    We may all want RD gone, but how many of us would have that as a condition for wanting Charlton to be promoted this season?

In other words fellow Charlton fans, do you want
    A ) Charlton to be promoted this summer but only if RD has sold the Club by the end of the season.
    B ) Charlton to be promoted this summer regardless of who the owner is.

It seems to me that more seasons in the 3rd tier are not going to make a take-over any more likely.
    Now it may be the case that promotion back to the 2nd tier may not make a take-over any more likely either.

But if the likelihood of RD completing a sale of the Club is not going to be affected by which league we are playing in (in other words all things being equal) isn't it better for Charlton to be back in the Championship next season rather than still in League One?
    That may be a motivation to voice support for what Lee Bowyer is trying to achieve, rather than not support the team.

For some fans that support could mean attending any away games that they can get to rather than going to the Valley.
    Either way, any support we can give to LB can't do any harm to our promotion chances, and it may actually help a little.
  • Options

People need to remember that Bowyer and Jackson are not in situ by design but because they were the cheapest/easiest option at the time. Things may have improved on the pitch but you are comparing it to some real shit in the last few years.
    We should not be grateful that we are currently, but not necessarily ultimately, able to compete with sides like Luton, Portsmouth, Barnsley, Doncaster and Peterborough this season (I'll leave out Sunderland).
    As things stand we do not appear to be any closer to the departure of Roland than we were a year ago and, in my opinion, now is the time to resume protests not to support the team, difficult though that decision may be for some.

Out of curiosity what would we all be protesting about if they resumed? To persuade RD to sell? he's selling the club, it's for sale and his asking price has been met apparently. We want him to speed the process up? if a price is agreed it's out of his hands surely. And where would protests take place? At The Valley where we've won 5 and drawn 2 out of the last 7 or another trip to Belgium?

Would resuming protests even be up for debate if Jim White hadn't raised our hopes last week? Not digging you out, would just like to understand why the need to resume protests when with a bit of luck automatic promotion still isn't out of the question. We all want RD gone but I need convincing what resuming protests would actually change.
    Is he really selling?

Without protests, either at The Valley or in his own back yard, it would appear that what happens on the pitch is more important than anything else. Your comment about our home form and the possibility of promotion also suggest that.

If he doesn't sell and we do, by some miracle, achieve promotion (not likely) then I dread to think how far out of our depth we are likely to be in the Championship.

For us to have any future as a football club the most important thing is for us to be rid of Roland.
  • Options
    lardiman said:

We may all want RD gone, but how many of us would have that as a condition for wanting Charlton to be promoted this season?

A ) Charlton to be promoted this summer but only if RD has sold the Club by the end of the season.

It seems to me that more seasons in the 3rd tier are not going to make a take-over any more likely.
    Now it may be the case that promotion back to the 2nd tier may not make a take-over any more likely either.

But if the likelihood of RD completing a sale of the Club is not going to be affected by which league we are playing in (in other words all things being equal) isn't it better for Charlton to be back in the Championship next season rather than still in League One?
    That may be a motivation to voice support for what Lee Bowyer is trying to achieve, rather than not support the team.

For some fans that support could mean attending any away games that they can get to rather than going to the Valley.
    Either way, any support we can give to LB can't do any harm to our promotion chances, and it may actually help a little.

It is also possible that promotion could hinder any possible sale, as Roland's price is very unlikely to be unchanged.
  • Options

Bowyer and Jackson were, to some extent a "happy accident". And I think everyone knows that. The difference is that previously Roly would've replaced any outgoing manager with some unheard of network type, as opposed to those two.

Also, having watched most home and a number of away games live, things have improved on the pitch and in the atmosphere in the stands. There is no "maybe" about it.

The main concerns now for me are: the amount of players out of contact in June, staff not being paid properly, and a thin squad (although Jan has been promising so far on that front).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019

lardiman said:

It is also possible that promotion could hinder any possible sale, as Roland's price is very unlikely to be unchanged.
    That could be true but we just don't know what will make a sale more or less likely.
    If that is an unknown factor it might as well be put to one side in my opinion.

Personally I would rather see Lee Bowyer succeed in pulling off a frankly miraculous promotion, if he can do it this season.

Charlton beginning a Championship campaign once again in August would put Duchatelet on the spot.
    He will have to either sell or invest properly or mug us off yet again, but this time in the relatively bright media spotlight of the Championship, rather than the obscure backwaters of the lower leagues where many football neutrals don't seem to care much what goes on.

If he does not sell the Club or does not invest, our 2019-20 season will almost certainly end in humiliating relegation yet again on his watch. If a re-run of the 2015-16 debacle (or even worse) does not galvanise a new wave of mass protests then nothing will.

On the other hand if LB fails to gain promotion this season Duchatelet can quietly continue cutting costs and managing our decline with much less of a backlash from supporters.
    Another threadbare summer of free transfers and injury prone loanees will simply allow apathy to continue to spread.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

If people didn't go there would be no team to support as they would fold...then what would you do....I hate Roland more than anyone but love the team more.

That doesn’t seem to have happened at Blackpool.
    True. But Oyston hasn't sold either !
    He has far less money than RD.
    I thought possibly he needs to sell, to pay the court case he lost.
    Yet I'm not aware that he's even put the club up for sale.
  • Options

Is he really selling?

Without protests, either at The Valley or in his own back yard, it would appear that what happens on the pitch is more important than anything else. Your comment about our home form and the possibility of promotion also suggest that.

If he doesn't sell and we do, by some miracle, achieve promotion (not likely) then I dread to think how far out of our depth we are likely to be in the Championship.

For us to have any future as a football club the most important thing is for us to be rid of Roland.
    I mention our home form and the possibility of promotion because being in The Championship instead of League One would at least help to repair some of the damage done to the club on the pitch at least and surely would make the club a lot more attractive to a sale. He must be wanting out as what does he get out of owning us? We're told a price is agreed, so he must be selling. I'm not saying protesting isn't the answer i'm just not sure what it would achieve, at The Valley at least.

I do agree though if we got promoted we'd struggle but this team has a lot more about it than the one which got relegated last time which was pretty much JBG + 10.
  • Options

It would be pointless starting up the protests again, they are water off a ducks back as far as Roland is concerned. Anyway there have some great shots of our fans in the away ends at grounds this season and there has not been a black & white scarf to be seen.

My boycott continues until he has gone, not a badge of honour just me holding back my money from Roland.

#notapennymore

100%
  • Options

Is he really selling?

I mention our home form and the possibility of promotion because being in The Championship instead of League One would at least help to repair some of the damage done to the club on the pitch at least and surely would make the club a lot more attractive to a sale. He must be wanting out as what does he get out of owning us? We're told a price is agreed, so he must be selling. I'm not saying protesting isn't the answer i'm just not sure what it would achieve, at The Valley at least.

I do agree though if we got promoted we'd struggle but this team has a lot more about it than the one which got relegated last time which was pretty much JBG + 10.
    He has never got anything out of owning us but that does not mean anything with regard to whether a sale occurs or not.

I dread to think what the team will look like in August, whatever division we may be in, as due to the continuing incompetence of this regime we will barely have enough players to fill a 5-a-side team.
  • Options
    lardiman said:

Ive been thinking exactly what you have stated regarding the promotion with Douchbag still at the helm & the way in which he would then be left with that choice of stay or go,cause I don't think even he could then handle the media & the ramp up again of the protests either,which would surely happen...anyway be fookin lovely to gain that promotion,then it's what will be will be...piggies/taxi's or party poppers...

Lee Bowyers Red n White Army...

Oh n just sell the club....!!!

• Options

Is he really selling?

4th in the League
    3 points behind 2nd
    5 points above 7th

It will be a miracle if we get promoted

Really a miracle??
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Is he really selling?

4th in the League
    3 points behind 2nd
    5 points above 7th

It will be a miracle if we get promoted

Really a miracle??
    When you consider the squad we had for the opening day, I think it's fair to say promotion would be a miracle.

Bowyer has been amazing
  • Options
    I think Duchatelet is committed to selling in part as a result of various protest actions.

While a fuller boycott may have helped earlier I’m not sure it really helps with the sale process.

If he doesn’t sell by the end of the summer then that’s a different story.