Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

To go or not to go, that is the question

Comments

• edited January 2019

Davo55 said:

I, like quite a few others, was a believer that Jim White wouldn't get it that wrong as a professional journalist and went along last Saturday to watch the match. Head in my hands for the first 30 minutes but enjoyed the second half. However I have been duped (as has Jim White) by the Roland propaganda machine and recognise my failings. I will go to the odd away match but the boycott is back on until the sale goes through. If the propoganda machine effort was to show prospective buyers what could be achieved it may have been worth it but otherwise I will forego the pain and pleasure that has always been watching my team until the deluded, wealthy Belgian has gone

I genuinely think that RD and RM believed that a takeover would happen quickly a year ago but, when it stalled, they noted how the wave of optimism had encouraged some fans to return and also how it dampened the protests, and they've been spinning the same yarn ever since.
    I disagree with that para @Davo55

In my opinion, those ‘returning’ due to a wave of optimism around a potential sale are far far smaller in numbers in comparison to those who ‘returned’ because things by and large had moved on from what’s they were protesting against, or that protesting had by and large. run it’s course. There was Meire, Driesen, Fraeye, Nobby Vinegar rumours, inadequate shipped in players with no care for our club, defeats, disorganisation and no heart. There was no taking on board supporter dissatisfaction and there was a gulf between the fans and almost everything connected with the club

Roland may well be ‘here’, but there’s no Meire, Fraeye & co, nor experimental network nonsense. We this season have a football management team we could not dream of getting better than, two high profile names from the Book of Charlton who know this club and English football inside out. We have signed some excellent players and have a team core and togetherness that supporters can relate to and buy into. The football-to-fan relationship is as strong as it’s been for years. Despite being two years into him wanting to sell we’ve still brought in 3 players during the first week of the window. Above everything else, we are competitive and winning games.

That’s why imo people have been coming back. JW’s claims last week were clearly speculative rather than factual and in my heart I’m not sure if people come on Saturday for the first time it was 100% down to a Talksport presenter. Just my view.
    Correct. I was protesting mainly about the absolute circus of selling our best players at low prices and replacing them with inappropriate inadequate players.

I was protesting against the farcial manager merry go round. The recruiter being Driessen. The sheer incompetence and disrespect shown by Meire. Against RD not caring and so much more.

But most of this farce stopped with the appointment of Slade.
    Ok Slade & Robinson weren't great appointments, but that's just normal football decisions.

I still want RD to sell up to heal the divide and increase our support, but not sell to anyone who could be worse.

I don't want someone who will be as frugal as RD and then put us into administration within 5 years for instance.

I don't want someone who would move us out The Valley and down to near Ebbsfleet for example.

Some fans may never return, if they will only return when we get a "really good" owner.

But each to their own.
    Hurrah for Roland. Did you believe Turkey was joining the EU as well?
    Don't be silly.
    A response like that makes you sound like you would rather we were in administration or forced out of The Valley.
    Certainly no hurrahs for Roland from me.
    I despise the man, but I do have enough intelligence not to want worse.
    Nobody will ever propose moving Charlton to Kent because it’s a ludicrous business proposition. The only person who has suggested it is Meire, because it is a line they concocted. You’re playing their game when you trot it out.

No problem with people being enthused by improvements on the pitch, but it’s naive to think that can solve the fundamental problem.
  • edited January 2019

Davo55 said:

I, like quite a few others, was a believer that Jim White wouldn't get it that wrong as a professional journalist and went along last Saturday to watch the match. Head in my hands for the first 30 minutes but enjoyed the second half. However I have been duped (as has Jim White) by the Roland propaganda machine and recognise my failings. I will go to the odd away match but the boycott is back on until the sale goes through. If the propoganda machine effort was to show prospective buyers what could be achieved it may have been worth it but otherwise I will forego the pain and pleasure that has always been watching my team until the deluded, wealthy Belgian has gone

I genuinely think that RD and RM believed that a takeover would happen quickly a year ago but, when it stalled, they noted how the wave of optimism had encouraged some fans to return and also how it dampened the protests, and they've been spinning the same yarn ever since.

In my opinion, those ‘returning’ due to a wave of optimism around a potential sale are far far smaller in numbers in comparison to those who ‘returned’ because things by and large had moved on from what’s they were protesting against, or that protesting had by and large. run it’s course. There was Meire, Driesen, Fraeye, Nobby Vinegar rumours, inadequate shipped in players with no care for our club, defeats, disorganisation and no heart. There was no taking on board supporter dissatisfaction and there was a gulf between the fans and almost everything connected with the club

Roland may well be ‘here’, but there’s no Meire, Fraeye & co, nor experimental network nonsense. We this season have a football management team we could not dream of getting better than, two high profile names from the Book of Charlton who know this club and English football inside out. We have signed some excellent players and have a team core and togetherness that supporters can relate to and buy into. The football-to-fan relationship is as strong as it’s been for years. Despite being two years into him wanting to sell we’ve still brought in 3 players during the first week of the window. Above everything else, we are competitive and winning games.

That’s why imo people have been coming back. JW’s claims last week were clearly speculative rather than factual and in my heart I’m not sure if people come on Saturday for the first time it was 100% down to a Talksport presenter. Just my view.
    Correct. I was protesting mainly about the absolute circus of selling our best players at low prices and replacing them with inappropriate inadequate players.

I was protesting against the farcial manager merry go round. The recruiter being Driessen. The sheer incompetence and disrespect shown by Meire. Against RD not caring and so much more.

Ok Slade & Robinson weren't great appointments, but that's just normal football decisions.

I still want RD to sell up to heal the divide and increase our support, but not sell to anyone who could be worse.

I don't want someone who will be as frugal as RD and then put us into administration within 5 years for instance.

I don't want someone who would move us out The Valley and down to near Ebbsfleet for example.

Some fans may never return, if they will only return when we get a "really good" owner.

But each to their own.
    Don't be silly.
    A response like that makes you sound like you would rather we were in administration or forced out of The Valley.
    Nobody will ever propose moving Charlton to Kent because it’s a ludicrous business proposition. The only person who has suggested it is Meire, because it is a line they concocted. You’re playing their game when you trot it out.

No problem with people being enthused by improvements on the pitch, but it’s naive to think that can solve the fundamental problem.
    Moving Wimbledon to Milton Keynes was a ludicrous move for their fans, but it still happened.
    Perhaps, it wasn't the best example.
    All I'm saying is I desperately want a new and better owner.
    But I don't want a new and worse owner.
    Ok, the chances of a better owner are high, but it's not guaranteed.
  • Davo55 said:

But each to their own.
    Don't be silly.

You just can't say "nobody ever" as you have no idea what's possible in the future, I bet once upon a time "nobody ever" thought we'd groundshare with Palace.

Covered End gave an example of something an owner worse than RD could do, that's not being naieve, it's being open to possibilities. To think it's impossible to have an owner worse than RD is naieve.
  • edited January 2019

Davo55 said:

But each to their own.
    Don't be silly.

You just can't say "nobody ever" as you have no idea what's possible in the future, I bet once upon a time "nobody ever" thought we'd groundshare with Palace.

Covered End gave an example of something an owner worse than RD could do, that's not being naieve, it's being open to possibilities. To think it's impossible to have an owner worse than RD is naieve.
    It’s not likely because RD’s unusual quality is his capacity to continue being shit indefinitely - with most people the consequences would catch up with them sooner or later.

The point about the move to Selhurst, ill-judged as it was, is that there was a business logic to it - to cut costs in a declining market. There wasn’t much intelligence or care behind the practicalities or cultural aspects of it and it was never going to work out, but at least there was some semblance of logic. Ditto Wimbledon, although basically they were just stealing the league place. There’s no real sense in which the club relocated.

Moving out of London, to an area of much lower population density and away from your main supporter base, which is inside the M25, with markedly inferior public transport, would make no sense to anyone. No suitable stadium exists and none could easily be built with the likely revenue that could be generated by selling The Valley.

By the way, I’m sure if clubs thought it was a good idea to operate without a senior management team they would all do it to save money. Don’t underestimate the risks of having nobody behind the wheel.

Does anybody seriously think there is a business plan, a strategic vision or even competent oversight of staff? The staff bonus row is just one bit of the iceberg which is on view.
  • Was Meire 'behind the wheel' even though she sat in the driver's seat? #justsaying
  • Davo55 said:

But each to their own.
    Don't be silly.

It’s not likely because RD’s unusual quality is his capacity to continue being shit indefinitely - with most people the consequences would catch up with them sooner or later.

The point about the move to Selhurst, ill-judged as it was, is that there was a business logic to it - to cut costs in a declining market. There wasn’t much intelligence or care behind the practicalities or cultural aspects of it and it was never going to work out, but at least there was some semblance of logic. Ditto Wimbledon, although basically they were just stealing the league place. There’s no real sense in which the club relocated.

Moving out of London, to an area of much lower population density and away from your main supporter base, which is inside the M25, with markedly inferior public transport, would make no sense to anyone. No suitable stadium exists and none could easily be built with the likely revenue that could be generated by selling The Valley.

By the way, I’m sure if clubs thought it was a good idea to operate without a senior management team they would all do it to save money. Don’t underestimate the risks of having nobody behind the wheel.

Does anybody seriously think there is a business plan, a strategic vision or even competent oversight of staff? The staff bonus row is just one bit of the iceberg which is on view.
    Once again I feel you're letting your hatred of RD blind you, CE was in no way defending RD, just pointing out he doesn't want a worse owner, is there really anything wrong with that?
  • Davo55 said:

But each to their own.
    Don't be silly.

Moving Wimbledon to Milton Keynes was a ludicrous move for their fans, but it still happened.
    I have said it on here before and will say it again.

When MS and TJ sold we were all delighted thinking we cant get worse and we ended up with Roland.

Surely even we cant have 3 shit owners in a row
  • Davo55 said:

But each to their own.
    Don't be silly.

When MS and TJ sold we were all delighted thinking we cant get worse and we ended up with Roland.

Now you’ve gone and done it....that or the next owners make their money in sewerage
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo55 said:

But each to their own.
    Don't be silly.

I still think douchbag is an improvement on those two, when you consider what's come out since they left!
  • Davo55 said:

But each to their own.
    Don't be silly.

I still think douchbag is an improvement on those two, when you consider what's come out since they left!
    I disagree. Ultimately the vast majority of fans care about what happens on the pitch and in our case playing at The Valley. Whatever may have been happening in the background they took over a club in the 3rd tier and left when in 2nd tier. Unless we get promoted this season we are heading for our longest spell at this level since the Football League went to 4 straight divisions.
  • Davo55 said:

I'm sure that what you say, @AFKABartram, is true for many people. But if you doubt that many fans have bought season or match tickets on one of the several waves of optimism about new ownership I invite you to read back through this thread. And then the takeover thread. And then the various season tickets thread. You'll find plenty of evidence. And if you still disagree, think about the glaring disparity between the "announced" and "real" home attendances and to what extent that is down to people who bought season tickets not actually coming to games - despite the much improved performances on the pitch. It won't be the whole story, of course, but don't kid yourself that it's not a factor.
  • I won’t say we’ll agree to disagree @Davo55 as I don’t even think we are disagreeing mate.

I suppose part of my point on the ‘selling bounce’ was that White’s revelations last week were seen as a catalyst for people to buy tickets. My sense was that the primary driver was that it was our most attractive fixture of the season and the team have largely been doing well (particularly at home).

Had we been playing Fleetwood and lying in 17th, I’m fairly sure that only a small percentage of those that bought tickets last week would have done so on the same Jim White news.

But it’s all speculative I suppose as none of us really know, and it’s not even important either :-)
  • edited January 2019
    JohnnyH2 said:

Davo55 said:

But each to their own.
    Don't be silly.

I disagree. Ultimately the vast majority of fans care about what happens on the pitch and in our case playing at The Valley. Whatever may have been happening in the background they took over a club in the 3rd tier and left when in 2nd tier. Unless we get promoted this season we are heading for our longest spell at this level since the Football League went to 4 straight divisions.
    That's a totally valid opinion, just one I can't agree with, to me screwing over local businessmen and banning former shareholders from the ground is far worse than poor footballing decisions.

RD is an idiot who underestimated the strength of English football and employed imbeciles to do his bidding. He ruined a football club.

The Spivs were nasty individuals out to lie, cheat and do pretty much anything they could to make a quick buck. They ruined lives.

• Davo55 said:

But each to their own.
    Don't be silly.

Not in terms of football and that’s what it’s all about. Top 5 CAFC season under them.
  • kentred2 said:

Davo55 said:

But each to their own.
    Don't be silly.

Not in terms of football and that’s what it’s all about. Top 5 CAFC season under them.
    That's why I added the bit about what's come out after they left, that season was amazing, no doubts about it.
  • I travel almost 200 miles round trip and missed 1 home game in the last 20 odd years despite i work 3 weekends in 5... I hate roland... Too many people making too futile excuses not to go in my view...

Bully for you. You sound like you are still going because you feel you have a record to protect as much as a desire to be there. The idea that those boycotting are using it as a excuse because they don't want to go also suggests you don't understand why people decided to stop giving him anymore of their money when it became clear that was his only interest. Those who think he doesn't care about money because he's a billionaire are ignoring the fact that all the evidence from him is to the contrary - stopping bottled water and breakfasts for youth players, having light bulbs removed and stopping staff from eating at their desks so he could cut down on cleaning operations. Those ignore all of the footballing decisions of the last five years too - he started off by flogging Dale Stephens and Yann Kermogant remember and he's cashed in on every big player since.
    I go because I am a Charlton fan, not some bloody record chaser FFS. Support the team not the regime.
  • Sponsored links:

• All the angst surrounding the go-or-not-go Sunderland game is going to re-surface in a few weeks when Southend are the visitors.
    This is my first full season of boycotting home games (saw about 4 homes last season) having been a regular attender at home games since 1962.

However, I do want to attend the Southend game to welcome SCP back to The Valley and to give him the welcome back he so richly deserves albeit as the manager of a visiting club.

Let me say immediately that I cannot defend this position against those who will not go to The Valley under any circumstances whilst RD is still the owner (and I will return to the boycott stance following this game).

I think, however, that the game represents an opportunity for the football community at The Valley to come together in mutual appreciation of what was once commonplace under SCP - a sense of Club and fan togetherness which is treasured but should never be taken for granted as events of the past 5 years have demonstrated.

Is it too much to ask that the 'feel good factor' could return for 90 minutes before we go our separate ways to all await however long it is going to take to emerge from the current poisonous and, one could say now, pointless ownership?
  • Mametz said:

I travel almost 200 miles round trip and missed 1 home game in the last 20 odd years despite i work 3 weekends in 5... I hate roland... Too many people making too futile excuses not to go in my view...

Bully for you. You sound like you are still going because you feel you have a record to protect as much as a desire to be there. The idea that those boycotting are using it as a excuse because they don't want to go also suggests you don't understand why people decided to stop giving him anymore of their money when it became clear that was his only interest. Those who think he doesn't care about money because he's a billionaire are ignoring the fact that all the evidence from him is to the contrary - stopping bottled water and breakfasts for youth players, having light bulbs removed and stopping staff from eating at their desks so he could cut down on cleaning operations. Those ignore all of the footballing decisions of the last five years too - he started off by flogging Dale Stephens and Yann Kermogant remember and he's cashed in on every big player since.
    I go because I am a Charlton fan, not some bloody record chaser FFS. Support the team not the regime.
    The only trouble with is by paying to see the team, you are supporting the regime, albeit in a small way individually. However those several thousand individual small ways add up.

Dont see that it has any benefit to the most important aspect of all this...the team.
    RD doesnt care if you go or not, we all know that by now, he will still sweep up the monthly overspend.
    Its become a case, for most people, of stubbornness believing that boycotting is the major pain for RD - he doesnt give a toss, honestly.
  • edited January 2019
    Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

I'm sure that what you say, @AFKABartram, is true for many people. But if you doubt that many fans have bought season or match tickets on one of the several waves of optimism about new ownership I invite you to read back through this thread. And then the takeover thread. And then the various season tickets thread. You'll find plenty of evidence. And if you still disagree, think about the glaring disparity between the "announced" and "real" home attendances and to what extent that is down to people who bought season tickets not actually coming to games - despite the much improved performances on the pitch. It won't be the whole story, of course, but don't kid yourself that it's not a factor.
    The non-attending ST holder gap has been there for years. It was there in the PL (more understandably) and every season subsequently and in part it’s a function of price, especially the concession prices and the lower north and family adult prices. You would really struggle to relate it to Roland, except insofar as failure on the pitch causes people to give up mid-season, say in 15/16 and 16/17.
  • If people didn't go there would be no team to support as they would fold...then what would you do....I hate Roland more than anyone but love the team more.
  • If people didn't go there would be no team to support as they would fold...then what would you do....I hate Roland more than anyone but love the team more.

That doesn’t seem to have happened at Blackpool.
  • I won’t say we’ll agree to disagree @Davo55 as I don’t even think we are disagreeing mate.

I suppose part of my point on the ‘selling bounce’ was that White’s revelations last week were seen as a catalyst for people to buy tickets. My sense was that the primary driver was that it was our most attractive fixture of the season and the team have largely been doing well (particularly at home).

Had we been playing Fleetwood and lying in 17th, I’m fairly sure that only a small percentage of those that bought tickets last week would have done so on the same Jim White news.

But it’s all speculative I suppose as none of us really know, and it’s not even important either :-)

Fair enough Dan, @AFKABartram :smile:
  • edited January 2019
    Greenie said:

Ive read this thread with interest and have been biting my lip not to respond.
    Fact is people are making excuses to go but really there is no excuse to go, a person like the Rat only exists to make more money today than he had yesterday, by not going it reduces his income, this hurts him.
    A total boycott would have hurt him financially and dented his reputation as well, imagine the adverse publicity if there was not one person at the Valley, there is no doubt that the club would be sold by now.
    The ‘I’m allright Jack’ attitude the permeates society now, is in microcosm within our fan base, how can people be taken seriously when on one hand they all bitch and moan about the owner, then on the other shell out for tickets thus putting dough in his pocket?
    I have been to all the initial post match demos even bought the protest shirt etc., but quickly realised that a full boycott was required, and believe me it’s tough and I’ve been going since 74, especially since we are doing well, I doff my cap to all those that went to Belgium to protest, but then I think why do all that and then (some) give him money, it doesn’t make sense.
    Having said all the above I respect people’s decision to go, because it’s what we do as fans of our club, it’s part of our DNA, however don’t be under any illusion that you are helping get rid of him, by going and lining his pockets, you’re not!
    Following the debacle of the longest alleged sale in footballing history with the rat messing everyone about due to his greed, now is the time for those who go to put the club first and boycott even for just one home game.

People aren’t making an excuse! To all of us it is a way of life, some people find it easier to stick to their guns than others! It’s not about people finding excuses!

Do you pay tax? I expect so.

Do you moan about paying tax? I expect so.

Do you live in caravan with our travelling community to stand against it? I am guessing not?

• cafc_se7 said:

Greenie said:

Ive read this thread with interest and have been biting my lip not to respond.
    Fact is people are making excuses to go but really there is no excuse to go, a person like the Rat only exists to make more money today than he had yesterday, by not going it reduces his income, this hurts him.
    A total boycott would have hurt him financially and dented his reputation as well, imagine the adverse publicity if there was not one person at the Valley, there is no doubt that the club would be sold by now.
    The ‘I’m allright Jack’ attitude the permeates society now, is in microcosm within our fan base, how can people be taken seriously when on one hand they all bitch and moan about the owner, then on the other shell out for tickets thus putting dough in his pocket?
    I have been to all the initial post match demos even bought the protest shirt etc., but quickly realised that a full boycott was required, and believe me it’s tough and I’ve been going since 74, especially since we are doing well, I doff my cap to all those that went to Belgium to protest, but then I think why do all that and then (some) give him money, it doesn’t make sense.
    Having said all the above I respect people’s decision to go, because it’s what we do as fans of our club, it’s part of our DNA, however don’t be under any illusion that you are helping get rid of him, by going and lining his pockets, you’re not!
    Following the debacle of the longest alleged sale in footballing history with the rat messing everyone about due to his greed, now is the time for those who go to put the club first and boycott even for just one home game.

People aren’t making an excuse! To all of us it is a way of life, some people find it easier to stick to their guns than others! It’s not about people finding excuses!

Do you pay tax? I expect so.

Do you moan about paying tax? I expect so.

Do you live in caravan with our travelling community to stand against it? I am guessing not?

It’s about choices! It’s the law that we pay taxes, we have no choice.
    It’s not the law that we have to go to football.
    People are selfish and currently if you go to the valley then you are endorsing the owner.
    Actions speak louder than words, all this, but it’s a way of life, support the team not the regime, is just regurgitated over and over almost as a verbal wall to hide behind. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions. Also it’s some life when you are being fucked over. Most Saturdays I’m sat at home watching Stelling and co just waiting, wishing for a goal from our team, yep it’s crucifying me, but it’s the right thing to do, until the day he sells.
    Also if we were in the relegation zone and getting stuffed 4-0 every week then there would be less people going, that tells me that although the owner has properly eroded the ethos of CAFC, which has been the core of the club, especially since 92, then as long as we are doing ok, then that is just fine with some fans.
    I wised up two seasons ago and really don’t understand why people can’t see it for themselves?
    Like I say I respect that they have an opinion but I find it rather sad hearing all the excuses to go.
    Finally, I don’t understand your last point?