Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

To go or not to go, that is the question

Comments

• se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Do boycotters go to away games?

some do, some don't.

What’s the rationale for not going to away games (sorry, not asking you to answer for everyone!)?
    I don't go to any games because I don't want to support Duchatelet's Charlton.
    It's not Duchatelet's Charlton. He is just the present owner. It's our club, the fans, supporters and the myriad of football tourists who turn up because the valley is cheap to watch football compared to many grounds.
    All the time he pays the bills and makes (or doesn't make) the decisions then it is Duchatelet's Charlton, whether you accept it or not.
    What I accept is Duchatelet is paying Lyle Taylor's wages to play for Charlton.
    The people who wish to see no one in the ground are prepared to play Russian Roulette with cafc's future. (Boring fact I did the demos, coffin and left the Middlesbrough match)

Your all adults and adults make their own decisions. I just hope the next owner is a Saint and benign philanthropist because I can't see you returning any time soon.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

What’s the rationale for not going to away games (sorry, not asking you to answer for everyone!)?
    It's not Duchatelet's Charlton. He is just the present owner. It's our club, the fans, supporters and the myriad of football tourists who turn up because the valley is cheap to watch football compared to many grounds.
    All the time he pays the bills and makes (or doesn't make) the decisions then it is Duchatelet's Charlton, whether you accept it or not.
    The people who wish to see no one in the ground are prepared to play Russian Roulette with cafc's future. (Boring fact I did the demos, coffin and left the Middlesbrough match)

Your all adults and adults make their own decisions. I just hope the next owner is a Saint and benign philanthropist because I can't see you returning any time soon.
    I'll return when Duchatelet goes and not before and be happy to do so.
  • Was invited to the Sunderland game as I had friends and family in the away end, but have been boycotting for three years and saw no reason to dilute the sheer delight I'll feel at the first game back with RD gone.

Just been online to update my account on the new ticketing site in readiness for the moment the Belgian sells, but not a penny more until he's gone.

Up the Addicks!
  • se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

psst.......he doesn't.
    And the point being?

• se9addick said:

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

Well i will answer for everyone, we are Charlton, our away support numbers are shit, it's something everyone helps out with at some stage apart from a few selfish fans like Seb and a few others, luckily there aren't many of them so the rest of us can see how noticeable our contribution is to keeping up the time-honoured tradition of pathetic away numbers for Charlton Athletic .
  • se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

psst.......he doesn't.
    And the point being?

No point bro.......just answering the pp's question.
  • A year ago I started a thread on whether to buy a half year season ticket now that there was a 'done deal'. The money is still sitting in my bank account. I'm pleased it didn't go to row-lan.

As soon as the deal is announced I'll be online booking my seat.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

Well i will answer for everyone, we are Charlton, our away support numbers are shit, it's something everyone helps out with at some stage apart from a few selfish fans like Seb and a few others, luckily there aren't many of them so the rest of us can see how noticeable our contribution is to keeping up the time-honoured tradition of pathetic away numbers for Charlton Athletic .
    Yawn.... Same old, i personally think we do ok numbers wise for away games i have been to which are only the odd one here and there. At present and last few years i have been more likely to go to away games and prefer them because of atmosphere and a bit more togetherness then at home.

Also not sure why but i always feel going away it wont necessarily end up in RD pocket, i could be wrong of course.
  • I, like quite a few others, was a believer that Jim White wouldn't get it that wrong as a professional journalist and went along last Saturday to watch the match. Head in my hands for the first 30 minutes but enjoyed the second half. However I have been duped (as has Jim White) by the Roland propaganda machine and recognise my failings. I will go to the odd away match but the boycott is back on until the sale goes through. If the propoganda machine effort was to show prospective buyers what could be achieved it may have been worth it but otherwise I will forego the pain and pleasure that has always been watching my team until the deluded, wealthy Belgian has gone
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    I was duped by Jim White & had indulged in a couple of Saturday afternoon cocktails last weekend & bought tickets to the Accrington game, so, I will be back at The Valley for the first time since December 2015.

About to give my bank account details to a Nigerian Prince who has emailed me, I’m getting £80m though, so I will use this to buy the club.
  • I, like quite a few others, was a believer that Jim White wouldn't get it that wrong as a professional journalist and went along last Saturday to watch the match. Head in my hands for the first 30 minutes but enjoyed the second half. However I have been duped (as has Jim White) by the Roland propaganda machine and recognise my failings. I will go to the odd away match but the boycott is back on until the sale goes through. If the propoganda machine effort was to show prospective buyers what could be achieved it may have been worth it but otherwise I will forego the pain and pleasure that has always been watching my team until the deluded, wealthy Belgian has gone

I think that quite a lot of fans have been duped into buying season tickets or match tickets, on several occasions over the last year or so. It's a triumph of hope over experience.

I genuinely think that RD and RM believed that a takeover would happen quickly a year ago but, when it stalled, they noted how the wave of optimism had encouraged some fans to return and also how it dampened the protests, and they've been spinning the same yarn ever since.
  • edited January 2019
    Davo55 said:

I, like quite a few others, was a believer that Jim White wouldn't get it that wrong as a professional journalist and went along last Saturday to watch the match. Head in my hands for the first 30 minutes but enjoyed the second half. However I have been duped (as has Jim White) by the Roland propaganda machine and recognise my failings. I will go to the odd away match but the boycott is back on until the sale goes through. If the propoganda machine effort was to show prospective buyers what could be achieved it may have been worth it but otherwise I will forego the pain and pleasure that has always been watching my team until the deluded, wealthy Belgian has gone

I think that quite a lot of fans have been duped into buying season tickets or match tickets, on several occasions over the last year or so. It's a triumph of hope over experience.

I genuinely think that RD and RM believed that a takeover would happen quickly a year ago but, when it stalled, they noted how the wave of optimism had encouraged some fans to return and also how it dampened the protests, and they've been spinning the same yarn ever since.
    So De Turck turned up at the training ground on a Sunday between Christmas and New Year with an Australian and, separately, manipulated a national radio host to encourage some fans to return for a one-off game and dampen protests which aren't happening anyway, all on the instructions of the evil mastermind in Belgium? Or arranged for a wealthy Aussie businessman to appear at the play-off just to keep the story going? I really don't think so. It's much more cock-up than conspiracy.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

I am a boycotter and will not be back until Roland goes. You are happy to go to games and I respect your decision to do so.

What I find harder to accept is your apparent praise of Roland for paying Taylor's wages. Roland is by far and away the wealthiest owner we have had. When he took over Charlton we were a Championship club. Within three years we had been relegated and "achieved" our lowest league position in 80 years. Part of the reason for this was Roland's refusal to pay Yann Kermogant, an even better player than Taylor, what he was worth. Kermogant left and played a significant part in pushing Bournemouth to the then highest position in their history.

I have no doubt that some of Taylor's wages are accounted for by Roland's refusal to pay other staff the bonuses they are due.

Are you sure you are not suffering from Stockholm syndrome?
  • Davo55 said:

I, like quite a few others, was a believer that Jim White wouldn't get it that wrong as a professional journalist and went along last Saturday to watch the match. Head in my hands for the first 30 minutes but enjoyed the second half. However I have been duped (as has Jim White) by the Roland propaganda machine and recognise my failings. I will go to the odd away match but the boycott is back on until the sale goes through. If the propoganda machine effort was to show prospective buyers what could be achieved it may have been worth it but otherwise I will forego the pain and pleasure that has always been watching my team until the deluded, wealthy Belgian has gone

So De Turck turned up at the training ground on a Sunday between Christmas and New Year with an Australian and, separately, manipulated a national radio host to encourage some fans to return for a one-off game and dampen protests which aren't happening anyway, all on the instructions of the evil mastermind in Belgium? Or arranged for a wealthy Aussie businessman to appear at the play-off just to keep the story going? I really don't think so. It's much more cock-up than conspiracy.
    It's not the whole story but I do believe that having LDT give regular hope of a deal (via the FF) has helped to keep things quiet and encouraged some fans to attend when they otherwise wouldn't have.
  • I have realised I enjoy going with my son or with my friends more than I think I am making a difference by not going.

I still protest although I must admit I have suffered protest fatigue and the drive to Sint Truiden no longer seems like it makes as much of a difference as I would like.

If Duchatelet fails to sell in this window though I will be there two to three times before the end of April I have promised myself that.
  • I've been going. It was a difficult decision and not the one I thought I was going to make but I missed it too much. I have nothing but admiration for people boycotting on principle as I know it is a very difficult decision.
    It has helped that the football has been better and there's more connection between fans and team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mametz said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

some do, some don't.

I am a boycotter and will not be back until Roland goes. You are happy to go to games and I respect your decision to do so.

What I find harder to accept is your apparent praise of Roland for paying Taylor's wages. Roland is by far and away the wealthiest owner we have had. When he took over Charlton we were a Championship club. Within three years we had been relegated and "achieved" our lowest league position in 80 years. Part of the reason for this was Roland's refusal to pay Yann Kermogant, an even better player than Taylor, what he was worth. Kermogant left and played a significant part in pushing Bournemouth to the then highest position in their history.

I have no doubt that some of Taylor's wages are accounted for by Roland's refusal to pay other staff the bonuses they are due.

Are you sure you are not suffering from Stockholm syndrome?
    I was well versed on Douchebag Shitweasel at Standard Liege. I knew he was a deluded old duffer before the ink was dry on the takeover contract.
    I have been against his tenure since he thought Polish Pete was a better option than paying Yann 1k extra a week.

Your preaching to the wrong person about Yann and his fantastic impact at Bournemouth. I did a whole page on Yann as a number 10 with Pugh, Richie, Wilson and Arter playing one twos with Yann on the deck !

I say again respect your ability to stay away from the valley but I hope we don't get a hedge fund manager like the Coventry guy because that may not bother you but I would struggle with that.

Stockholm syndrome, No Duchatelet a Douchebag.

Taylor is a superb striker and winger, who is a totally different player to Yann.
  • I went (kids ticket so cheapest possible) as I genuinely believed it was happening this time. I was duped and to compound matters I got so smashed after that I threw up and then fell asleep on the train home and ended up in Ashford having to pay a £70 taxi back to Maidstone. Cheers Roland...

I think even Airman Brown would struggle to pin the blame on RD for you getting pissed, throwing up on a train, falling asleep and needing to get a cab home.
  • edited January 2019

Davo55 said:

I disagree with that para @Davo55

In my opinion, those ‘returning’ due to a wave of optimism around a potential sale are far far smaller in numbers in comparison to those who ‘returned’ because things by and large had moved on from what’s they were protesting against, or that protesting had by and large. run it’s course. There was Meire, Driesen, Fraeye, Nobby Vinegar rumours, inadequate shipped in players with no care for our club, defeats, disorganisation and no heart. There was no taking on board supporter dissatisfaction and there was a gulf between the fans and almost everything connected with the club

Roland may well be ‘here’, but there’s no Meire, Fraeye & co, nor experimental network nonsense. We this season have a football management team we could not dream of getting better than, two high profile names from the Book of Charlton who know this club and English football inside out. We have signed some excellent players and have a team core and togetherness that supporters can relate to and buy into. The football-to-fan relationship is as strong as it’s been for years. Despite being two years into him wanting to sell we’ve still brought in 3 players during the first week of the window. Above everything else, we are competitive and winning games.

That’s why imo people have been coming back. JW’s claims last week were clearly speculative rather than factual and in my heart I’m not sure if people come on Saturday for the first time it was 100% down to a Talksport presenter. Just my view.
    Correct. I was protesting mainly about the absolute circus of selling our best players at low prices and replacing them with inappropriate inadequate players.

I was protesting against the farcial manager merry go round. The recruiter being Driessen. The sheer incompetence and disrespect shown by Meire. Against RD not caring and so much more.

But most of this farce stopped with the appointment of Slade.
    Ok Slade & Robinson weren't great appointments, but that's just normal football decisions.

I still want RD to sell up to heal the divide and increase our support, but not sell to anyone who could be worse.

I don't want someone who will be as frugal as RD and then put us into administration within 5 years for instance.

I don't want someone who would move us out The Valley and down to near Ebbsfleet for example.

Some fans may never return, if they will only return when we get a "really good" owner.

But each to their own.
    Hurrah for Roland. Did you believe Turkey was joining the EU as well?
  • They’re already in the Eurovision sing contest, they had a moustache I think
  • I went (kids ticket so cheapest possible) as I genuinely believed it was happening this time. I was duped and to compound matters I got so smashed after that I threw up and then fell asleep on the train home and ended up in Ashford having to pay a £70 taxi back to Maidstone. Cheers Roland...

Tsk, not very organised
  • To me it's quite simple.
    I will not give a penny to Duchatelet.
    That's all.