Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Sunderland | Sat 05 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Sunderland
Saturday 5th January 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Stephen Martin (Staffordshire)

Introduction

Apologies for a late preview this week…

Delayed due to potential events on and off the field I didn’t really want to post any old information, yet as part of that news hasn’t been announced the show must go on!! – It’s certainly been a mixed festive period so far for Charlton, but 2019 brought in the first three points in three games to stop a poor run of form, early goals from our deadly duo up front ensured a 2-1 win on New Years Day.

This Saturday though will herald one of the biggest games at the Valley this season – Bringing 3,000 fans down from the North East will ensure a huge atmosphere as we play host to fellow promotion chasing Sunderland.

The Opposition
Name: Sunderland | Manager: Jack Ross
Ground: Stadium of Light

So we’re back to where it all began… The 2018/19 saw a season opener against newly relegated Sunderland; it began with numerous injuries and a lack of cover in the Goalkeeping area… For 65 minutes; the Addicks put in one of their displays of the season so far and could have been well clear even before half-time, unfortunately chances couldn’t be taken and fitness would eventually take its toll; Lynden Gooch (lucky to even be on the pitch) would score an gut punching winner for the home side!!

Dropping down from the Championship to League One is never straight forward – For some teams like Charlton and Sheffield United it marks a stay for far longer than liked!!... For others like Wigan and Blackburn its an instant return to the second tier – For Sunderland it was difficult to imagine how their season would pan out, especially with their previous wage budget, yet Jack Ross (down from St. Mirren) has steadied the sharp decline at the Stadium of Light and with just two defeats this season (both away from home) look set to be challenging for the automatic slots come the start of May!!

Yet all is not rosy on the playing field for the Black Cats… They too have their injuries and with a potential defender signing next week it means that our opponents are short at the back and can be hurt– In Josh Maja though they have their own young Striker who can get goals, and with fourteen this term finds himself two ahead of our own top league scorer: Karlan Grant

Charlton Team News
Of course one piece of news I was holding off for was the impending arrival of reinforcements – Post Walsall; Lee Bowyer would confirm that we were close to a number of signings with one in the stands for that game… Today has confirmed the signing of the first of those with Jonny Williams signing from Surrey based: Crystal Palace, the Welsh International, midfielder by trade has had is own injuries problems of late and having not played since March 2018 (ironically for Sunderland) may have to settle for a place on the bench.

Unfortunately that’s as good as it gets in terms of reinforcements (unless others sign prior to 12noon today), yet tomorrow we welcome back Chris Solly from suspension who will also no doubt take the captains armband with the continued absence of Jason Pearce!!

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Stevenson
Williams | Bielik | Pratley
Fosu
Grant | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Dijksteel | Morgan | Marshall | Ajose | Hackett-Fairchild | Clarke

Prediction
Despite the fact that Sunderland will be one of the harder teams to visit the Valley between now and the end of the season this is one of those that is a game we must not LOSE!!... With two games in hand against us already it’s important we don’t lose ground as defeat will surely end our automatic hopes. If we can win its certainly a chance to put pressure on our rivals, seeing this is just one of three League One games this weekend due to the FA Cup taking precedence!!

Comments

• Steve Martin is the referee mate. He referees in the championship.
  • Think we will go with-

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Solly
    Williams Bielik Morgan
    Fosu
    Grant Taylor
  • Steve Martin is the referee mate. He referees in the championship.

Cheers, where did you find out?

The Football League website has been shocking this season with putting up information
  • Think we will go with-

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Solly
    Williams Bielik Morgan
    Fosu
    Grant Taylor

Wouldnt be surprised to see Dijksteel over Stevenson

Thought about Morgan ahead of Pratley myself but remembered Bowyer being worried about his performance off the ball prior to Walsall so wonder if he'll want to take the risk
  • Is Williams match fit?

I know the only way to get him fit is for him to play but is he ready to start a game against one of the divisions best sides?
  • Is Williams match fit?

I know the only way to get him fit is for him to play but is he ready to start a game against one of the divisions best sides?

I didnt think Pratley would start against Sunderland on the opening day due to a lack of pre-season minutes yet he did

I wouldnt be surprised if he's on the bench tomorrow yet found Bowyer's words to the South London Press to be revealing when he said that he's trained at Crystal Palace every day this season and has been constantly playing for their U23s - Says to me he is fit and will start tomorrow, only reason he's not played is probably because Hodgson didnt rate him enough ahead of their other Premier League midfielders this season

New loan / Premier League registration rules probably dont help either as clubs seem more relucant to loan out their fringe players unless of course they've been able to sign targets etc.
  • Williams will be on the Dame Judi

Looking like a decent crowd for this, just over 9000 tickets available which on the basis of capacity minus away end minus blocked off areas is circa 23k means the crowd is already 17k, stand to be corrected.
  • 3-0
    Taylor hatrick.
    Sunderland fans will make it a good atmosphere so hopefully a noisy afternoon.
  • I'm feeling surprisingly confident about this game - comfortable home win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Am strangely confident on this one. Not sure why. 2-0.
  • This thread is slowly but surely working it's way to the top of the page :smile:

• Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Bowyer’s confirmed Williams will be on the bench tomorrow, will be exciting if he gets 20 or more minutes though!
  • Sunderland have sold over 3,000 seats in the Jimmy Seed Stand for the match and tickets are on restricted sale to prevent Black Cats fans from buying in the home areas.

Placing a match on restricted sale in the event of the away end selling out is standard practice for the club and all Charlton supporters on the club’s ticketing database can still buy tickets for the game.

SE7’s East, West and North Stands are expected to be busy on Saturday and supporters who have yet to purchase their tickets are advised to do so as early as they can to help minimise matchday queues.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c2f37a32f9e5/tickets-sunderland-match-placed-on-restricted-sale-as-jimmy-seed-stand-sells-out
  • Clarke not on the bench?
  • Clarke not on the bench?

Forgot he made his return against Walsall

Would put him in ahead of Sarpong-Wiredu (Preview Updated)
  • Sunderland have lost only two games all season. We have an injury-hit squad. On our day though we are more than a match for any team in the league but I would settle for a point tomorrow. Anything more would be a real bonus.
  • addick05 said:

Sunderland have lost only two games all season. We have an injury-hit squad. On our day though we are more than a match for any team in the league but I would settle for a point tomorrow. Anything more would be a real bonus.

lost @ Burton (2-1) and Portsmouth (3-1)... think its managable

Especially with Cattermole missing
  • 1 - 0 To us , Taylor with the winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• I imagine Stevenson will keep his place, as he did well enough on Tuesday to get in ahead of Djiksteel

No idea who will be in midfield other than Bielik and Fosu. Pick any 2 starters from Morgan, Pratley, Marshall or Clarke!
  • Massive responsibility on Bielik to do his best in stopping supply into Maja and the centre halves then to control him.

If we do that, we know we have a goal or two in us. 1-0 Grant.
  • Saturday 9th Jan?
  • Saturday 9th Jan?

FFS!!... What the hell am I playing at of late!! - thank you
  • Difficult but not unbeatable, 2-1 Grant n Taylor.
  • Just cant see us turning up, we seldom do when it comes to the crunch.

2-1 defeat, but desperately hope I am wrong
  • We won at Wembley; we'll win at The Valley. 2-0 to The Addicks.
  • Massive responsibility on Bielik to do his best in stopping supply into Maja and the centre halves then to control him.

Josh Maja was born in Lewisham and grew up in London. What the hell is wrong with our scouting system?
  • Think we should go 442 as Sunderland are very good on the wings. That way we can have Marshall helping out defensively and Fosu in his actual position on the left.

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr Stevenson
    Marshall Bielik Pratley Fosu
    Taylor Grant

Doubt Bowyer will go for anything like this though
  • 2-1 win - Taylor & Fosu

Would be surpised if Williams starts, can we not put anfernee in the middle sometime in the near future?