Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*Jonny Williams signs- 6 month deal*

Comments

• Options
    Great player, really great on his day, but made of glass. Otherwise he’d be playing premiership football regularly imo. Makes reeves seem like Mr T.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Copied from rumours thread now this is official. I didn’t need to ask any Palace mates as I remembered him. Really rare for me to ever remember an opposition players games against us as I am just not that interested in them but every 5 years or so one stands out:

“I really rated him. Remember thinking he was excellent when he broke through at Palace and better than Wilf.

Also remember going Selhurst in 2013 when Fuller put us one up. Williams was on the bench and bought on after about 60-65mins and proceeded to rip us to shreds. Murray scores two for Palace in about 10 mins not long after and that was that. We would have won had he not come on, they would have got 3 points less, not made playoffs and not now be in PL.

Solly took Wilf out his pocked at the end but Williams and Murray did all the damage.

Hopefully his injuries have not taken too much of that away from him and he is genuinely fit.”
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

I'm surprised a championship club didn't beat us to this deal first. His injury record must be putting clubs off.

Still with our limited budget, beggars can't be choosers, so fair play to all concerned.

Just stay fit!

I am sure his injury record will put off a few and what people have said on here about how he came across in the Sunderland documentary I guess he probably wanted to stay local. He is not likely to fit the Millwall kick and rush mould so we become a natural choice
  • Options
    Reeves has got some competition for biggest forehead at the club.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Carter said:

Remember when Chris Powell bought in Michael Stewart, a genuinely class midfielder for a 6 month spell. He put himself in the window and off he popped

No saying Jonny Williams will do the same as I get the impression he's got a but more about him and his injuries seem to have really got him down. He first caught my eye playing for Palace and Wales and I liked his intent and positive use of the ball. The player I'd day he most reminds me of is Wilshere who when fit is also a very good and positive user of the football and has the same body movement/gait when on the ball

Didn’t realise Stewart never played again after leaving us.

Didn’t he reject the chance to stay thinking he could do better?

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=20709
  • Options
    Carter said:

Remember when Chris Powell bought in Michael Stewart, a genuinely class midfielder for a 6 month spell. He put himself in the window and off he popped

No saying Jonny Williams will do the same as I get the impression he's got a but more about him and his injuries seem to have really got him down. He first caught my eye playing for Palace and Wales and I liked his intent and positive use of the ball. The player I'd day he most reminds me of is Wilshere who when fit is also a very good and positive user of the football and has the same body movement/gait when on the ball

Michael Stewart?

Am i having a complete brain fade? I have no memory of this guy playing under Powell.
  • Options
    If he's travelling from the Palarse area tomorrow do you reckon he would pop by streatham on the way and give me a lift?
  • Options

Carter said:

Michael Stewart?

Am i having a complete brain fade? I have no memory of this guy playing under Powell.
    It was in the half season when Powell first took over
  • Options
    A higher quality Ben Reeves in more ways than one. Welcome Johnny. I’m hopeful rather than optimistic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

He probably doesn't have to move either which is a bonus for him if he doesn't know where his future lies. We are so short in midfield, if there is a risk, it is a sensible one to take. And it probably isn't really a risk at all financially.
  • Options

If he's travelling from the Palarse area tomorrow do you reckon he would pop by streatham on the way and give me a lift?

+1, streatham hill to be exact
  • Options

clive said:
    Seems very notable that almost everyone who has come to this club (especially midfielders) have cited that Bowyer is a key reason to why they wanted to move to us. He seems a big asset to the club not just in terms of his managerial abilities.
    I don’t think Jonny Williams would have signed for us if Karl Robinson had still been in charge, if I was a midfielder I’d want to play for a manager who had gone right to the top, add in the London factor with a team chasing promotion, and its a no brainer.
  • Options

Carter said:

Michael Stewart?

Quite, I mean I remember him but only just - describing him as "genuinely class" is stretching it somewhat.
  • Options
    six months is a very short contract .. perhaps this is a 'last chance saloon' for Williams to make an impression at a decent level
  • Options
    I do recall seeing him play for Wales and thinking he was more than decent.
  • Options

A good signing but despite the current signings, I really don't think CM was an issue. We are severely lacking at the back, need to replace Steer and have no decent cover for Grant/Taylor.

A big fan of Bowyer but he bloody loves a CM!

Not really at the moment hence why we're having to rely on Morgan and Sarpong-Wiredu on the bench whilst he's had to test Maloney in Cup games

If we were fine in Midfield then none of the above would have happened
    I meant to say despite the current injuries. I do agree we are light at the minute, but CM is not an area we needed another body. Certainly not the most important signing.

That being said, we might have new owners who strengthen us and we can sign the other players needed aswell.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

A good signing but despite the current signings, I really don't think CM was an issue. We are severely lacking at the back, need to replace Steer and have no decent cover for Grant/Taylor.

We play four CMs at a time in a diamond, we've lost Ward (who played at the tip of the diamond) while Cullen, Reeves, Lapslie and Aribo are out injured.

How is CM not an issue? I agree we still need a GK, LB and striker.
    Then IMO we should have signed another attacking midfielder. Soon we might have Bielik, Pratley, Aribo, Williams, Cullen, Reeves, Dijksteel and Clarke all capable of playing CM, plus Fosu who is playing attacking midfield.

Personally would rather have used Dijksteel as a midfielder and signed a RB or an attacking midfielder/winger.

To be honest it was a tricky one as we need a CM now but in general on paper we are fine.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    This is a free signing - I doubt it is costing us much nor is it taking up a loan slot. We do need central midfielders at the moment due to injuries. Agree it isn't a weak area on paper, but at this time we need one and this signing ticks the boxes.
  • Options

This is a free signing - I doubt it is costing us much nor is it taking up a loan slot. We do need central midfielders at the moment due to injuries. Agree it isn't a weak area on paper, but at this time we need one and this signing ticks the boxes.

Yeah fair point. Definitely a good player, of that there is no doubt.

The main worry is that Aribo, Cullen etc are back from injury by the time Williams is match fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Then he has to earn his place. As do they. What isn't to like? He hasn't been injured this season, just playing reserve football - same as Morgan and Stevenson. I'm sure he will be fit enough to contribute now and we do need him now!
  • Options

I tell you what, if we can get the same player from his time at Palace or even similar, a midfield diamond of him, Aribo, Cullen and Bielik will be devastating.

Welcome to South London's finest Jonny

If those 4 manage to be fit for more than 5 games together i'll be astounded.
    Very unlikely we will see it for some time, but provided he can stay fit, Aribo doesn't go, Cullen recovers and Arsenal don't recall Bielik that could be our midfield come the end of the season and I don't think many could better us in that department
  • Options

Scoham said:

We play four CMs at a time in a diamond, we've lost Ward (who played at the tip of the diamond) while Cullen, Reeves, Lapslie and Aribo are out injured.

How is CM not an issue? I agree we still need a GK, LB and striker.
    Then IMO we should have signed another attacking midfielder. Soon we might have Bielik, Pratley, Aribo, Williams, Cullen, Reeves, Dijksteel and Clarke all capable of playing CM, plus Fosu who is playing attacking midfield.

Personally would rather have used Dijksteel as a midfielder and signed a RB or an attacking midfielder/winger.

To be honest it was a tricky one as we need a CM now but in general on paper we are fine.
    Clarke and Williams are attacking midfielders.

On paper our best midfield could be Bielik at DM, Cullen and Aribo as the CMs and Williams the AM.
  • Options

Then he has to earn his place. As do they. What isn't to like? He hasn't been injured this season, just playing reserve football - same as Morgan and Stevenson. I'm sure he will be fit enough to contribute now and we do need him now!

It’s fine as long as we are able to sign others too. Stand by the fact that Bowyer loves a midfielder, but he clearly favours a diamond and we could dominate games with a quality midfield once we have them fit.
  • Options
    Williams left Palace on good terms - they are clearly wanting to help him out and help him achieve what is best for him. No way will we be paying his Premier League wages. It is useful having him in the squad for which is an important game tomorrow. Injured players are irrelevant in that context. As he isn't taking up a loan slot, and he won't be costing us much, if anything, we shouldn't be viewing this signing in terms of we should have brought in a striker or a defender. It is a case of spotting the opportunity and taking it.
  • Options

Not a good move by him.
    He already has to work twice as hard to win fans over - given his past association, so why make it more difficult.

Wasn't he the guy that did Wiggins foot when we played them at the supermarket ?
    Don't be pathetic.
  • Options

Williams left Palace on good terms - they are clearly wanting to help him out and help him achieve what is best for him. No way will we be paying his Premier League wages. It is useful having him in the squad for which is an important game tomorrow. Injured players are irrelevant in that context. As he isn't taking up a loan slot, and he won't be costing us much, if anything, we shouldn't be viewing this signing in terms of we should have brought in a striker or a defender. It is a case of spotting the opportunity and taking it.

Yes 100% if at the end of the window we have the keeper, defenders and striker we need. I’m positive though, we have to be at the moment, more positive then for a long time!
  • Options
    Chrissy Powell played for Palace, Alan Pardew played for them, before we loved him (I know that love affair ended), David Whyte was ex-palace and there are a few more. When they put on a Charlton shirt, they are Charlton.
  • Options

Chrissy Powell played for Palace, Alan Pardew played for them, before we loved him (I know that love affair ended), David Whyte was ex-palace and there are a few more. When they put on a Charlton shirt, they are Charlton.

Not to mention Bright and Salako.

Salako even scored for us against his beloved Nigels.
  • Options
    Reeves and Williams share the same haircut.