Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holidays 2019

Comments

• Riviera said:
    My wife and I are doing our first summer holiday together as just a couple for the first time this year for over 25 years. Going to Cyprus in August. As my wife is a teacher we have no choice but to go in the summer holidays but have counteracted the fear of bloody kids by going to a adults only hotel in Pathos. It looks very nice and TripAdvisor has nothing but positive comments.  I am so looking forward to it. 
     Got a week in Spain in Sep in a good friend of mines apartment on a golf course for just me and a mate. 
    What hotel in paphos mate.

Got back from the a few weeks ago and stayed at the Annabel. Was bloody lovely.

Expect very hot temperatures for August. Was too hot for me in late may.

I've got nothing booked now but always on the lookout. Been Vegas but want to do it again. New York is up the top of the list but want to do a European Christmas market this year, maybe Innsbruck or Prague.
    Constantinou Bros Athena Royal Beach
  • Just back from a week in kefalonia, would recommend stayed in lassi at thalassa boutique hotel was nice for the money paid £711 each with return flights, private transfer and b&b for the week, dinner each night for 2 courses and a bottle of wine/3 or 4 beers would be under 50 euros and really nice food. There was a fellow addick in the hotel as kept seeing the towel by the pool but never saw the person, also hotel is a 10 min walk from costa costa beach which is decent a proper well run beach with umbrellas and sunbeds. 
    Nice one, we were in White Rocks Hotel just outside of Lassi two weeks ago.
    i looked at that hotel but seemed a bit far out, a lovely place all be it a bit quiet of an evening, we only really ventured to the trentis bar on the main road after a meal out. 
  • Riviera said:
    My wife and I are doing our first summer holiday together as just a couple for the first time this year for over 25 years. Going to Cyprus in August. As my wife is a teacher we have no choice but to go in the summer holidays but have counteracted the fear of bloody kids by going to a adults only hotel in Pathos. It looks very nice and TripAdvisor has nothing but positive comments.  I am so looking forward to it. 
     Got a week in Spain in Sep in a good friend of mines apartment on a golf course for just me and a mate. 

I've got nothing booked now but always on the lookout. Been Vegas but want to do it again. New York is up the top of the list but want to do a European Christmas market this year, maybe Innsbruck or Prague.
    European Christmas Markets take some beating mate. I lived in Germany for 5 years and they really know how to do Christmas markets. In my opinion, the German markets are the best and this is a really good website:

http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/

Went to Vienna a couple of years ago and I have to say, the various Christmas markets there are excellent also. It's also a beautiful city and if you fancy it, get the train to Salzburg and spend the day there. Quite a small Christmas market but the 'old' part of the city and surrounding scenery is lovely. 

I was going to do Prague Christmas market, but on @PragueAddick's recommendation I ended up going to Vienna. Prague also a wonderful city but never been at Christmas. 
    Thanks very much for the tips. Pretty tricky deciding which one to go for. Have looked at tallin in Estonia too which looks alright but will prob play it safe with vienna or Berlin.

• Just spent a few days in costa del brixham 
  • Holidayinn express have opened in Gibraltar for folks who like the Rock.
  • Me and the missus back to Rome at end of August for 5 days, will be popping the question. Excited and terrified at the same time.
    let's hope she's not a 'lurker' on here eh !
  • shine166 said:

Just spent a few days in costa del brixham 

We had a couple of great family holidays there in the 80's. Have the still got the replica of the Golden Hind?
  • With the fixtures out and the blank international weekends known, some serious holiday planning can take place.

My Dad sat me on the wall at the top of the East Terrace when I was four, hardly missed a game for ten years so bought our first season tickets in 1974. I’ve had a season ticket every year since, missing a handful of home games and have seen Charlton play at 135 different grounds in that time. Holidays are always planned around the fixtures.

In January this year I hit one of the big birthdays. As a special surprise my wife presented me with a ‘once in a lifetime’ holiday in Tromso in the Arctic Circle - the land of the midnight sun - and a night in Sweden’s Ice Hotel. A very special and expensive short break all booked and paid for, for the two of us. My lovely wife - knowing how important Charlton are to me - even checked the fixture list when booking it to make sure I wouldn’t miss a game. 

And so the holiday was booked for the last May Bank Holiday weekend!

If anyone is interested I’m happy to recommend the break. But perhaps not if Charlton are playing at Wembley.

• shine166 said:

We had a couple of great family holidays there in the 80's. Have the still got the replica of the Golden Hind?
    Beautiful place, amazing seafood !. Yeah still got that right on the harbour !
  • Thinking of going to Australia at Christmas, so not sure about a summer holiday, trying to save holidays for that.
    Won’t be going to Australia now, as Mrs GA has had a bout of anxiety and depression. Waiting for meds to kick in, have taken days off to be with her. Might try to have a week away somewhere, when she is feeling better.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    Riviera said:

European Christmas Markets take some beating mate. I lived in Germany for 5 years and they really know how to do Christmas markets. In my opinion, the German markets are the best and this is a really good website:

Went to Vienna a couple of years ago and I have to say, the various Christmas markets there are excellent also. It's also a beautiful city and if you fancy it, get the train to Salzburg and spend the day there. Quite a small Christmas market but the 'old' part of the city and surrounding scenery is lovely. 

I was going to do Prague Christmas market, but on @PragueAddick's recommendation I ended up going to Vienna. Prague also a wonderful city but never been at Christmas. 
    Thanks very much for the tips. Pretty tricky deciding which one to go for. Have looked at tallin in Estonia too which looks alright but will prob play it safe with vienna or Berlin.
    Tallin is a lovely place and worth a visit. Why not stop off at Riga on the way back the old town is worth it plus the Art Deco buildings. Two for the price of two. 
  • Thinking of going to Australia at Christmas, so not sure about a summer holiday, trying to save holidays for that.
    Won’t be going to Australia now, as Mrs GA has had a bout of anxiety and depression. Waiting for meds to kick in, have taken days off to be with her. Might try to have a week away somewhere, when she is feeling better.
    Sorry to hear that, hope she's better soon, GA. 
  • Going to Cancun in a month and cannot bloody wait.  Really tough year so far with work and really need to kick back and spend some time with people that matter most - my wife and kids.

2 weeks and we have 2 trips planned.  Aside from that it's a lazy river and swim-up bar combo.  Moon Palace here we come
  • Solidgone said:
    Riviera said:

Tallin is a lovely place and worth a visit. Why not stop off at Riga on the way back the old town is worth it plus the Art Deco buildings. Two for the price of two. 
    Not a bad idea mate. Tallin is defo a contender. Wanted to do a Xmas market last year but left it too late so defo doing one this year.
  • Swisdom said:
    Going to Cancun in a month and cannot bloody wait.  Really tough year so far with work and really need to kick back and spend some time with people that matter most - my wife and kids.

2 weeks and we have 2 trips planned.  Aside from that it's a lazy river and swim-up bar combo.  Moon Palace here we come
    Love Cancun one of my fav places.  enjoy. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Going to Cancun in a month and cannot bloody wait.  Really tough year so far with work and really need to kick back and spend some time with people that matter most - my wife and kids.

Stayed there 15 years ago and it was class then. Looks like it's been done up since then too.

We were lucky to stay there too, was meant to be staying elsewhere but we got moved/upgraded there instead free of charge a right result.

You'll love it there, probably the best hotel I've ever stayed at.
  • Just back from a week in kefalonia, would recommend stayed in lassi at thalassa boutique hotel was nice for the money paid £711 each with return flights, private transfer and b&b for the week, dinner each night for 2 courses and a bottle of wine/3 or 4 beers would be under 50 euros and really nice food. There was a fellow addick in the hotel as kept seeing the towel by the pool but never saw the person, also hotel is a 10 min walk from costa costa beach which is decent a proper well run beach with umbrellas and sunbeds. 
    i looked at that hotel but seemed a bit far out, a lovely place all be it a bit quiet of an evening, we only really ventured to the trentis bar on the main road after a meal out. 
    We chose it for the quiet life, we have had a bit of year so far so we just wanted to crash for a week, no hire car, no walking too far, no trips, no nothing. Just sun beds, pool, beaches, good food and drinks.

The hotel was superb and we had a beach view bungalow rather than a room in the main building and it was stunning.
  • Off to the Highlands next week - looking forward to the scenery and fresh air. Staying near Inverness.
  • Riviera said:

Both great cities for different reasons mate. But both have excellent Christmas markets. Neither will disappoint, I can assure you of that. 

If you're going to do one in Germany, I'd consider Nuremberg or Munich as well. Stuttgart is also highly favoured by the Germans themselves. 

Tallin high on my list for a visit; primarily for the Depeche Mode bar!!!  ;) 
  • Riviera said:

Both great cities for different reasons mate. But both have excellent Christmas markets. Neither will disappoint, I can assure you of that. 

If you're going to do one in Germany, I'd consider Nuremberg or Munich as well. Stuttgart is also highly favoured by the Germans themselves. 

On the verge of booking a Thursday to Sunday December trip. Part salzburg, part vienna. Salzburg looks lovely from the pictures online.
  • Sponsored links:

• Did a Featherdown holiday for 3 nights over easter, so good we are going again in summer to norfolk for 3 nights.  Those with kids who like the great outdoors i could not recommend it highly enough.  No electric but certainly no slumming it.
    We are taking our two eldest Grandkids to Featherdown in Berkshire for 2 x nights glamping, good to see your comments.
    It was just superb.  We were in Wales and each farm will obviously be different but the accommodation is great and the kids loved the cabin bed which they shared (age 6 and 8). The hosts were fab and it was just a great 3 nights.  It was actually half term before easter and freezing cold / very dark nights but still superb.  

Probably not an issue in summer but make sure you take a bright fluorescent torch if you have one and a couple of small ones the kids can have next to them in case they wake.  

Take a couple of hot water bottles just in case and don't rely on the stove to cook, it was more about warmth than being good to cook on so either get the home cooked dinner off the farm if there is the choice (pre book i think) or go to the local pub/restaurant.  

I warned them there was no electricity but at that age it took them a while to realmy get it and the first thing my 8 yr old nephew asked was where the microwave was!
  • shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Beautiful place, amazing seafood !. Yeah still got that right on the harbour !
    There's a replica of the Golden Hind by the Thameside Tavern.
  • Riviera said:

On the verge of booking a Thursday to Sunday December trip. Part salzburg, part vienna. Salzburg looks lovely from the pictures online.
    Did Salzburg around ten years ago

Lovely little City - Well worth doing a day trip out to Hitler's Eagle Nest if your into that sort of thing
  • Riviera said:

Lovely little City - Well worth doing a day trip out to Hitler's Eagle Nest if your into that sort of thing
    Flew out there for 1p, just after 9/11, lovely place, the Mozart evening was a wonderful experience.
  • Ten days in Saint elulia, Ibiza with the family. Been there three out of the past four years, not always the same hotel. Not anything we'd ever do as a couple, but great with the kids. I'm changing jobs, and wife is being redundant, so also sneaking in a week in Holt, Norfolk for a few days as well
  • Riviera said:

Booked last night, Wednesday to Saturday. Plan on staying in Vienna and just travelling to Salzburg for the day.

May even add an extra day to the trip to give us more time in both places and make It less rushed.
  • Anyone been to pastida Rhodes, just booked 2 weeks early August never been to Rhodes, me the wife and two teenagers any ideas for day trips would be a help (apart from the casino I’ve got that sorted ) 
    We’re off to Kefalonia this week. Also staying near lassi at the Enalion Suites
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!