Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Incoming transfers

I was having a chat with someone I know who works for a football league club and apparently the head of recruitment make the final say on signings.

Surely this isn’t right at all?

I must stress this isn’t Charlton related, it’s to do with another club.

Comments

• edited December 2018
  • DiscoCAFC said:

I was having a chat with someone I know who works for a football league club and apparently the head of recruitment make the final say on signings.

It may work for that club.......but as you say, it wasn't US so doesn't matter a jot.
  • Complete cobblers. Head of Recruitment might decide who should be bought but it's the person holding the purse strings who makes the ultimate decision.
  • Complete cobblers. Head of Recruitment might decide who should be bought but it's the person holding the purse strings who makes the ultimate decision.

Maybe, obviously I don't know what it's like at every club, but I don't think it's ridiculous to say to each department "This is your budget, you need to stay within it, and you need to hit X milestones (i.e. progress on the pitch)" and then let them get on with it.

Ideally, this is where the Director of Football (or the like) would be situated, as a liaison between the Board and those scouting/recruiting players. But we don't have one, and I suspect most in League One don't either.
  • SDAddick said:

Complete cobblers. Head of Recruitment might decide who should be bought but it's the person holding the purse strings who makes the ultimate decision.

Maybe, obviously I don't know what it's like at every club, but I don't think it's ridiculous to say to each department "This is your budget, you need to stay within it, and you need to hit X milestones (i.e. progress on the pitch)" and then let them get on with it.

Ideally, this is where the Director of Football (or the like) would be situated, as a liaison between the Board and those scouting/recruiting players. But we don't have one, and I suspect most in League One don't either.
    We don't have anything. There is no chain of command.
    I dread to think what Bowyer has to go through to try to bring someone in, which is why we probably won't.
  • Bowyer tells Gallen the type of player he needs and SG comes up with a list of names. All needed to be within the budget.
  • Steer & Ward off payroll. GK and LB in? Why not this week? The LB should have been lined up today. We've known for months.
  • Bowyer tells Gallen the type of player he needs and SG comes up with a list of names. All needed to be within the budget.

What about Driesen?
  • Feel sorry for Bowyer I think he has the making of a good manager.
    Unfortunately Shitweasel still owns us.
    A couple of injury prone loanees is about all we will get.
  • DiscoCAFC said:

Which bit isn't correct? The bit about the head of recruitment making the final say on signings? Or the bit about you having a chat with someone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Uboat said:

Bowyer tells Gallen the type of player he needs and SG comes up with a list of names. All needed to be within the budget.

What about Driesen?
    Not been involved for ages. Steve Gallen is in charge of recruitment.