Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Walsall | New Years Day | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Happy New Year FA.
    Legs crossed 2-0 Charlton
  • Poor Phillips, can take over from Morgan Fox in being a scapegoat.
    If Lloris was Charlton's keeper he would get pleters for the mistakes he have made since that cock up in the WC final.
  • Let's round off the festive period in true Charlton style...

Fook!
  • Really could do with a moral boosting win but Walsall are not a bad side. With all our injuries etc I think we might have to settle for a draw. 1-1.
  • Dont reckon LB will name 7 subs.....5 at most.

Was correct with predicting a loss for the Barnsley game......can't see us winning this one either.

1-1.
  • Cheers @ForeverAddickted for all your efforts mate. Always enjoy the previews. Happy New Year to You and Yours.

Actually, I think I’m gonna enjoy this preview more that the game tomorrow. The Steer recall has tipped me over the edge and I just can’t see how we can continue to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Expect a disjointed performance tomorrow staring with a back five who will be introducing themselves to each other during the warm up and a midfield anchored by that creative genius Darren Pratley. I just can’t see how we can expect anything out of this unless Walsall are truly crap (always a chance I grant you). And on the subject of grant, at least we shouldn’t have to endure another anonymous performance by the invisible man Ajose. Every cloud.........having said all that we’ll hopefully tonk them. But I’m not betting on it.
  • edited December 2018
    Steer looked a more than decent keeper. Phillips does deserve a run of games, but I presume he will be dropped when we bring another loanee in!

As for tomorrow, hopefully Walsall will be cautious and sit back a bit. That will play into our hands.
  • Hope the midfield and attack are at the races tomorrow as our defence is completely an untried and unknown quantity. I feel confident Warsaw will score.
  • Sage said:

Walsall’s away form is very average, having won 4, drawn 4, and lost 4. Their 4 wins away from home have been at Oxford, Bristol Rovers, Rochdale, and Wimbledon. All teams at the bottom of the table, with three of them directly involved in the relegation scrap. The four games they’ve lost away from home, the results have been 4-0, 3-0, and two 2-0’s. These have been from Portsmouth, Luton, Bradford, and Southend. However they do have notable 1-1 draws away at Peterborough and Barnsley.

Walsall often play a flat 4-4-2 which they did against us back in November when we beat them 2-0. However, against Luton on Saturday they switched to a 4-3-3. This could be quite key as Luton, like us, play a 4-4-2 diamond. Having taken a 2-0 lead against an in form Luton, it took a late comeback to eventually end in a 2-2 draw. I feel they may decide to pursue with the 4-3-3 against us tomorrow and whoever plays at full back, likely to be Dijksteel and Stevenson, potentially Sarr, are going to need a lot of protection as this is an area that they will certainly target. It is for this reason, that Marshall must play.

It’s important for us to try and have a fast start. Do that and they will need to come out, leaving much space in behind for Grant to cause them so many problems, as their defence isn’t the quickest at centre back. A lot will depend on how well we recover from Saturday and who is available, but don’t be surprised to see Pratley start, with the amount of players injured and unavailable, the young team we will have out, his experience could be key.

Until more news is given about Steer’s situation, I’ve included him in the team. I think a change of formation could be needed for this game, but of course the personnel could easily switch back into a defensive 4. Walsall will score against the defence we are able to put out. It’s a matter of will we be able to score more than one ourselves. I think we will, second best home form in the league, players determined to put things right.

Steer
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr
    Marshall Bielik Pratley Stevenson
    Reeves
    Taylor Grant

Phillips, Sarpong-Wiredu, Morgan, Maloney, Fosu, Ajose, Hackett-Fairchild

Charlton Athletic 3-1 Walsall
    Taylor
    Grant x2
    That would be a hard working and energetic side that could destroy a 4-3-3. I would love Bows to go with that side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Despite everything another home win 3-1 as the front two ease our woes.
  • 2-1 or 3-1 to Charlton. I'll go 2-1.
  • Walsall average a goal a game away from home.
    If they get the first goal we will lose.
  • Tricky game, like the idea of Dijksteel, Bauer and Sarr as a back 3 with Stevenson and Marshall as wing backs. Marshall has had some decent cameos, his main issue is he just runs into dead space too often but if he can work on his cross ins and general cutting in play he could be an asset for the rest of the season. As for Stevenson he may shine more in a more defensive formation with some back up if he does go wrong
  • Not relishing this game at all.

Our pedestrian midfield will create little and our makeshift defence will concede.

Hope they prove me wrong but somehow I doubt it.

Give me 0-0 now as I don't know how we will score....

• LenGlover said:

Not relishing this game at all.

Our pedestrian midfield will create little and our makeshift defence will concede.

Len although I think we will concede we've scored in our last 10 league games.
    We've always created a few chances even in the game against Barnsley
  • LenGlover said:

Not relishing this game at all.

Think Walsall will score early while our defence are still introducing themselves to each other.

• One thing is for certain, our fans are the most weird in the country. Before the Wimbledon game, bottom of table, the majority had us losing. Away to Barnsley, , one of the best teams in the division. I think the majority had us winning. Now at home to Walsall, surprise surprise the fans have us losing again!
  • Tricky game, like the idea of Dijksteel, Bauer and Sarr as a back 3 with Stevenson and Marshall as wing backs. Marshall has had some decent cameos, his main issue is he just runs into dead space too often but if he can work on his cross ins and general cutting in play he could be an asset for the rest of the season. As for Stevenson he may shine more in a more defensive formation with some back up if he does go wrong

I guess you haven’t seen much of Marsh recently. His crossing and cut ins have been good recently which is why so many would like to see him given a start.
  • Sponsored links:

• We're gonna need our shooting boots on to get anything out of this as we'll concede at least two!
  • Redrobo said:

Tricky game, like the idea of Dijksteel, Bauer and Sarr as a back 3 with Stevenson and Marshall as wing backs. Marshall has had some decent cameos, his main issue is he just runs into dead space too often but if he can work on his cross ins and general cutting in play he could be an asset for the rest of the season. As for Stevenson he may shine more in a more defensive formation with some back up if he does go wrong

I guess you haven’t seen much of Marsh recently. His crossing and cut ins have been good recently which is why so many would like to see him given a start.
    Sorry to say he had a start on Saturday and never took his chance IMO and I really wished he had. However with the lack of senior players available he'll probably still get the nod tomorrow.
  • We will absolutely do Walsall.

Happy new year!
  • No Jed, Chris or Jason = no points. Hope I'm proved wrong but I can see us being outscored, however many we manage ourselves.
  • We can still put out an ok defence and we are at home to a team that will finish mid-table ish. At home, you would expect an average Charlton side to be favourites. Aribo is the biggest miss as he is an important part to adding quality in the middle. Bowyer may play Pratley as a centre half - which might not be a terrible call for a game like this.
  • Great preview as usual
    Happy New year all
    Fingers crossed that is a good one 👍⚽
  • redman said:

One thing is for certain, our fans are the most weird in the country. Before the Wimbledon game, bottom of table, the majority had us losing. Away to Barnsley, , one of the best teams in the division. I think the majority had us winning. Now at home to Walsall, surprise surprise the fans have us losing again!

Barnsley was the strange prediction for me.
    I thought we would win at Coventry and then lose because Barnsley played really well at the valley but without a cutting edge despite having a good ratio of goals in their side.
    The fact we are an ever changing line up because of injuries, suspensions and now recalls, we can never get the consistency of the Cafc champions side under Powell which didn't have more flair But did have the stamina that this side appears to lack.

The only excuse for weird predictions is, you don't have to be mad to be a Charlton fan but it helps if you are.

3-2 and the rollercoaster continues.
  • Redrobo said:

Tricky game, like the idea of Dijksteel, Bauer and Sarr as a back 3 with Stevenson and Marshall as wing backs. Marshall has had some decent cameos, his main issue is he just runs into dead space too often but if he can work on his cross ins and general cutting in play he could be an asset for the rest of the season. As for Stevenson he may shine more in a more defensive formation with some back up if he does go wrong

I was at Coventry and watched the last few games on iFollow so I have. First ten minutes he came on against Coventry he looked good but then he faded. Once the other team figure out he can't cross a ball or beat a man they just run him down to the corner flag.

I like Marshall but he ain't great, his main aspects are his pace and work rates which could make him a decent wing back, as an out and out winger it's a no from me
  • They’ve signed Matt Jarvis on loan for the rest of the season and lost Josh Ginnelly from their midfield to PNE. I see they have Russell Martin on loan from Naidge too. The first time we got beat by Cov we went on a bit of a bad run. Hoping the same doesn’t occur this time round but head says 0-0.
  • 3-2 to us, Happy New Year ! Mr D Gone in April, (End of financial year!)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!