Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

morning papers

edited June 2007 in Rumours
I see the Sun reckons that Mullins is still moving to us and The Mail reckons spurs have offered £12.5 mill and two players,one believed to be Danny Murphy. they reckon we want more cash, as well as the players, as Pards isn't sure how Murphy would perform at ccc level. i'm guessing the other player is gardner. it will be interesting to Murphy back as i mentioned this a while back and the reception wasn't good.

danny murphy

Comments

• The rumour page on the BBC says that Bent rejected the WHU move because he wants to go to Liverpool.

Liverpool are trying to offload a couple of players - notably Craig Bellamy, if that happens the money or most of it is freed up for Bent. Yesterday Arsenal were rumoured to be negotiating the sale of Henry to Barcelona for around £20M. Not that I have a say in it, but I think DB would be better off at Arsenal.
  • Murphy can rot on someone else's bench for all I care - he was a primadonna in the top half of the Premiership, so how the hell would he take to playing Scunthorpe?

*If* Bent is holding out for Liverpool, then good for him - there's still enough time for lots to happen yet.
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Murphy can rot on someone else's bench for all I care - he was a primadonna in the top half of the Premiership, so how the hell would he take to playing Scunthorpe?

*If* Bent is holding out for Liverpool, then good for him - there's still enough time for lots to happen yet.

Agreed on both points
  • Danny Murphy if he came back would still be the best midfielder we have. Curbishly drove him out with his negative boring style of football we endured for about the last 4 years of his management. He did the same to Jensen and Smertin. We need to sign quality to get us out of the mess we are in and certainly DM fits that bill.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Danny Murphy if he came back would still be the best midfielder we have. Curbishly drove him out with his negative boring style of football we endured for about the last 4 years of his management. He did the same to Jensen and Smertin. We need to sign quality to get us out of the mess we are in and certainly DM fits that bill.

I don't dispute Murphy's ability but he is flawed as a character and you need character as much as ability to gain promotion from the Championship.

I don't see Murphy as the type of player to perform at Oakwell on a December Tuesday night in the sleet.

Sorry but there it is!
  • I would boo Danny Murphy if he signed for us :-(((
  • You can't boo your own players, Salad.

Sorry, forgot......only if they play for Charlton and we are losing. ;o)
  • I might be unpopular with this but I for one would love to see Murphy back. I thought he was excellent for us by far the best creative player we had and really made us tick. I would have been p*ssed off as well after that amazing start to the season he had and then watching Kish and Hughes fumbling around in your place. I don't think Curbs handled that well at all. All right his missus should have kept her mouth shut but I didn't hear Murphy slagging us off. I think Reid will be a great creative player for us but I truly question whether he'll last the season without some serious injuries, I just don't think physically he's top-notch, shame because he is really talented footballer.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Danny Murphy if he came back would still be the best midfielder we have. Curbishly drove him out with his negative boring style of football we endured for about the last 4 years of his management. He did the same to Jensen and Smertin. We need to sign quality to get us out of the mess we are in and certainly DM fits that bill.

I don't dispute Murphy's ability but he is flawed as a character and you need character as much as ability to gain promotion from the Championship.

I don't see Murphy as the type of player to perform at Oakwell on a December Tuesday night in the sleet.

Sorry but there it is!

Totally agree Len.

Does anybody think his wife would settle for him sluming it in the Championship? Not many social engagements to be attended in Scunnie. No way Jose.

He also upset many many "behine the scenes" people at the Valley with his "I earn more in a week than you do in a year" arrogance. I think that there would be a mutiny if he came back.

He is a talented player but his attitude stinks. We don't want him having a hissy fit because his coat peg isn't big enough or the changing rooms at Layer Road are smaller than his bathroom.

Keep well away imho.
  • Kish and Hughes were fumbling around in his place for a reason, though - his form dropped completely and he was under the impression he was entitled to play every match.
  • Sponsored links:

• NugNug
    edited June 2007
    I don't know whether his form dropped more than any others, my take was as soon as we lost a few on the spin Curbs panicked with the attacking football and played it safe and boring, I think he could have persevered a bit longer. I also don't recall too many games where Murphy looked like he couldn't be bothered, admittedly he had some bad games but then if he never had the odd bad run he's still have been at Liverpool. I thought everything good about the team at that time was a direct result of his ability and passing. Saying all that I think Song if we get him again will turn out to be a great passing player a may have a bit more heart being early in his career.

Also I never heard that he upset people behind the scenes, just the managment, and if that was the case then good riddance and after last year we want decent, committed, honest all-be-it talented professionals.
  • I think you are wrong the number of really good games that Murphy played for us when he played for 90 minutes can be counted on two hands, he was never a consistent performer. The opening 5/6 games of his second season and a similar/smaller number the year before when I personally thought he was very disappointing. I think we ended up playing 4-5-1 so much was because Curbs was accomodating Murphy often for no reason.
  • I don't think we could have a midfield with both Murphy and Reid in it. Both players are dependent on other midfielders to do all the hard work for them.
  • edited June 2007
    Bang on Pickwick, we built the team around him and it still was not enough for him!!! Curbs strategy was to go back to "basics" for a while and then bring Murphy back into the side when the ship had been stabilised, but Murphy thought he was better than that so left for his ever so successful move to Spurs.

Murphy was not quick enough to play wide, too lightweight to play in the middle of the park and too slow to play as a striker. That meant you had to play him in a free role behind a single striker and in front of the midfield duo, which we did. Problem is that this does bugger up the rest of the side once people work out your system.