Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views: Coventry v Charlton | Boxing Day 2018

Comments

• Jesus H Christ how Pearce gets away with these games and mistakes time and time again I'd fucking annoying.

The whole team played badly but Pearce lost his man then misjudged the cleatance and then got done for the second.

We deserved the point in my opinion and no more.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Jesus H Christ how Pearce gets away with these games and mistakes time and time again I'd fucking annoying.

The whole team played badly but Pearce lost his man then misjudged the cleatance and then got done for the second.

Pearce is in the team because he's a warrior, motivator, organiser, leader.

He isn't in the team for his pace, footballing ability or mobility. We've other players in the team who have those abilities.
    Of course, like many CBs at this level, he's vulnerable to players running at him - but he's not meant to be exposed if other players in the team do their job properly.

Perhaps that's the real question - why was Pearce exposed and which others didn't do their job properly?
    That'll be what the manager will want to check out.
  • From what I’ve read and pals that were there, too many players had an off day a golden oppo today to give the autos a realistic chance, unfortunately today’s showing means will be promotion via play offs if any.
  • Laddick01 said:

Aribo longer term injury. That’s trouble.

It's relentless
  • Oggy Red said:

Dazzler21 said:

Jesus H Christ how Pearce gets away with these games and mistakes time and time again I'd fucking annoying.

Pearce is in the team because he's a warrior, motivator, organiser, leader.

He isn't in the team for his pace, footballing ability or mobility. We've other players in the team who have those abilities.
    Of course, like many CBs at this level, he's vulnerable to players running at him - but he's not meant to be exposed if other players in the team do their job properly.

Perhaps that's the real question - why was Pearce exposed and which others didn't do their job properly?
    That'll be what the manager will want to check out.
    Really Oggy?

A CB isn't in the team on merit?

Well fudge that sirs.
  • Coventry setup well against us, same as at the valley. They worked very hard to close down the man on the ball as well as our passing angles. We looked leggy, and understandably so.

Aribo was a huge miss in a game like this. He’ll be a huge miss in general. Unfair to expect Pratley to be an adequate replacement as they’re two types totally different of player.

You can’t win them all though, certainly no need to panic. Definitely need some reinforcements in January. Without them we could be throwing away an great chance of promotion and we certainly can’t rely on a everyone coming back fit and in form later in the season.

• Coventry setup well against us, same as at the valley. They worked very hard to close down the man on the ball as well as our passing angles. We looked leggy, and understandably so.

Aribo was a huge miss in a game like this. He’ll be a huge miss in general. Unfair to expect Pratley to be an adequate replacement as they’re two types totally different of player.

You can’t win them all though, certainly no need to panic. Definitely need some reinforcements in January. Without them we could be throwing away an great chance of promotion and we certainly can’t rely on a everyone coming back fit and in form later in the season.

And they will get injured knowing our luck.
  • Although he played on for a while Aribo had a lengthy spell of treatment on Saturday and I posted on the post match thread then that I hoped the substitution wasn't related to the injury.

Thanks for all you've done Joe and good luck at your new club always assuming that you pass the medical of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought Coventry played well. From the start they didn't give us time on the ball. Played high up the pitch and kept this up for basically the whole match. They had been coached very well and knew that we're comfortable with the ball at our feet so they made sure to not allow us the time. And it worked.

However, I did think we slowly got more and more into the game and in the second half had it pretty much under control even though their high tempo closing down continued. We were starting to play the patient game waiting to break them down and it was working to some degree. We got the equalizer pretty early in the second half and I felt there was only going to be one winner after that but we never did quite get to grips with their high pressure approach. So it looked like a draw, and then their second goal came at the worst time. They were fortunate as the ball could just have easily hit the post but it crept in. Fine margins can win or lose games.

I think it's harsh to blame the defensive players. For me the problem was more in the midfield area where we never really got on top of their closing down. And some players just weren't comfortable with that. Bielik didn't have one of his better days and Fosu and Ajose were both poor in my opinion. I'm also not sure if Aribo being in there would have made any difference. Who knows!?

So, definitely not a good day at the office but we're not going to win every game. That's just a fact of footballing life. I do believe a draw would have been a fair result, but Coventry played well so they would be justified in thinking they deserved the 3 points.

Let's put it all in perspective. We're still in 4th place and generally playing well. Onto Barnsley which will be another tough one. COYR!!
  • Said it on here at half time....
    you simply can't play with a midfield that includes Reeves Beliek AND Pratley. All too defensive.....none run (fast)with the ball & all too often Prately & Reeves' first though is to go backwards.....no sorry, their first move is to turn in circles, then go backwards. We had no width & sadly the only player that can run at defences with the ball (Fosu) was off form today.

We improved a bit in the 2nd half when Marshall came on (perhaps LB read my half time rant) but the wrong player was take off imo as it was Pratley that should have been hooked & not Reeves.

No one came out of the game with any credit & sadly with the loss of Aribo & to some extent Lapslie I dont see things improving any time soon. With Barnsley & Sunderland to play in the next 2 weeks I see us slipping out of the top 6. Thankfully Blackpool are a fair few points adrift so we hopefully won't be too off the pace by the time Cullen, Lapslie & a few others are back.

And if you are reading this Mr Bowyer.....ffs play Marshall, put Solly back on the right & Stephenson on the left & play Dijikstel in his rightful place.

PS.......

Decided not to go to any more Boxing day games until we actually look like competing in them. I thought last year at Roots Hall was bad........but jeez today was awful.
  • For the life of me, can't identify any tactical plan of attack in any of our games.
    It seem to me we play very similar football in every game - i.e. let's hope their midfield lets us play (like Gillingham), or we get lucky on the break, or they have an off day.
    All reactive stuff...
    Short of that I can't identify any pattern of play beyond immediate next pass to make things happen.
    I'd sincerely love to be educated on this one
    By someone who see what I don't, so next time I may know what to watch for...
  • The Boxing Day curse strikes again!
  • One team was up for it and one wasn't. One looked fresh and one looked tired.
  • At the game. Took my princess for the first time. She never stopped asking questions all game. But I think she enjoyed the experience. All I can say is we lacked any enthusiasm today never really got hold of the game. Please please play Marshall from the start on Saturday. Leave ajose at home. Taylor needs a bit more help at front. Also do you reckon they have microphones in the Coventry end because there no way them 20 fans made all that noise.
  • shirty5 said:
    Was about to post this but beaten to it.

Sounds like a poor performance from what remains an inconsistent and injury ravaged side.

But we're in there, still.

If Grant is back then his pace can really make a difference.

Aribo has often been the difference between the side looking pedestrian or dynamic so he will be a big loss.

I thought Reeves and Fosu were overpraised for their scoring performances v Gillingham and I suspect Fosu is being overcritised now.

Going to be a real fight to stay top six with all these injuries but Bowyer and Jackson have worked out how to adapt so far.
  • Disappointing result similar to the performances against Blackpool and Rochdale. Top 6 is really the best we can hope for given our problems in midfield.

Barnsley away will be a tough game.
  • edited December 2018
    Is Jordan Cousins playing regularly for QPR anyone know?

If not we could do a lot worse as a loan replacement for Aribo Belgian Psycho permitting of course.

We need a midfielder with a bit of mobility.
  • edited December 2018
    LenGlover said:

If not we could do a lot worse as a loan replacement for Aribo Belgian Psycho permitting of course.

Good call but started game before last and was unused sub yesterday
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

Good call but started game before last and was unused sub yesterday
    Started 9 games for QPR so far this season.
  • Need the Cavalry to arrive over the hill, sooner rather than later. Can't wait to get Cullen, Ward, Sarr and Ariboe back ASAP.
  • Disappointed with what sounds a poor performance but not going to go overboard. The odd under par result is to be expected, just feel for those who made the trip.

Real problem is that we’ve got another tough one Saturday and our fit squad is getting smaller by the day.

I dont mind losing if a) the other team are better and b) we've put in a shift - but i hate it when we just roll over and let our bellys be tickled as what happened yesterday - and it happens too often in that manner for my liking.
  • Just the same rolled out excuses.
  • Need the Cavalry to arrive over the hill, sooner rather than later. Can't wait to get Cullen, Ward, Sarr and Ariboe back ASAP.

ward going back to Forest next week & unlikely to return. Aribo out for some time (4-6 weeks is my estimate)
    Cullen maybe back in a couple of weeks & Sarr back on new years day.

Don't expect much from our next 3 games tbh.

ward going back to Forest next week & unlikely to return. Aribo out for some time (4-6 weeks is my estimate)
    Cullen maybe back in a couple of weeks & Sarr back on new years day.

Don't expect much from our next 3 games tbh.
    That's more like it Golfie I'm blaming you for yesterday's defeat, predicting we'd get something at Coventry. Now that you've reverted to type we've got a chance 👋 😉
  • Disappointed with what sounds a poor performance but not going to go overboard. The odd under par result is to be expected, just feel for those who made the trip.

Real problem is that we’ve got another tough one Saturday and our fit squad is getting smaller by the day.

I dont mind losing if a) the other team are better and b) we've put in a shift - but i hate it when we just roll over and let our bellys be tickled as what happened yesterday - and it happens too often in that manner for my liking.
    I don't think that was quite the case. But they were quite physical. I feel we might need to add the odd physical player in January to complement what we have got though.
  • Just a bit of useless but interesting info.......Tim Fisher, the Coventry City chairman, lives in Greenwich.
    Not a lot of people know that.