Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ultra Low Emission Zone

Comments

• Stig said:
    How can it be about emissions. I will have to get rid of my 2012 1.6litre low emmisions diesel car (99g/km) or pay the charge. Or I could buy a 14 year old gas guzzling shit spewing 4.8 petrol engine (324g/km) and not pay the charge!!!
    Choice of your replacement vehicle is piss easy tho isn't it? In all seriousness, your 2012 diesel pumps out an ever increasing amount of noxious particulates, injurious to the health of all your fellow city dwellers plus its cynically misquoted amount of CO2. Cruising about the metropolis in your shiny petrol V8, with catalysed exhausts, you'll cough up a compensatory amount in fuel duty, feeling much much comfier and happier on your commute, with no trailing cloud of soot and free radicals. For the absence of doubt: the motor manufacturers' quoted CO2 figures are all cynically distorted perversions of a practically meaningless one-eyed measurement of nothing terribly relevant. There never was any real virtue in your clattery small capacity diesel. If you've kept it 6 years already you'll shortly be looking down the barrel of some significantly expensive parts replacement. Get thee with all haste to a purveyor of multi cylindered luxo barges, flipping your middle digit to the delusional enviromentalists - they'll thank you, eventually.
    If you bought a relatively new vehicle in good faith and then shortly after buying it are informed you can no longer use it due to a change in the law unless you pay a daily fee then you're going to feel aggrieved. Some diesels run happily for 15-20 years. Not everyone can afford to replace a vehicle so what compensation is on offer?
    This is a very good question. Personally, I have no qualms with government employing punative measures to dissuade undesirable behaviour, bur surely these have to be balanced with incentives for good behaviour.
    Nothing to do with the Government for once  This is down purely to the Mayor.

Someone above also hoped there would be a short period where fines were not enforced. Not a hope in hell of that. TFL's finances are in a complete mess and they will be looking to fill their coffers with fines and charges from day one. 
    So this is my biggest issue, I have no problem at all with financial penalties for this sort of stuff, as I believe it's the only way to make people act.

However this money should not be used to fill any coffers, it should be reinvested back into reducing environmental damage and pollution reduction, sadly, I think we all know what will happen.
    Has the congestion charge in London reduced the amount of vehicles travelling into town each day? Not what I see, it seems to have made no impact at all.
    What has made an impact is the forcing of vehicles to use on lane instead of two because of these cycle super highways. Many roads have gone from free flowing to gridlocked, which in turn causes more exhaust fumes in the surrounding area and as a result the pollution figures in that area going sky high, thus giving the political parties an excuse to introduce the ULEZ. 
  • My car won’t be charged so haven’t paid too much attention to this.
    what I can’t get my head around is how it’s gonna be enforced.
    my understanding is the south and north circular are the boundaries with it being ok to travel on those roads. You only get charged by going inside this so are they gonna install ANPR cameras at all junctions?
    between the Yorkshire grey roundabout and westhorne interchange with the A2, there are 9 junctions to enter the zone. Nine within a stretch of the south circular that can’t be more than 300-400 yards.
  • edited February 2019
    As others have said. It's all just a money maker for TFL.

How else will that £1billion debt on their hands come down.

They have also played a blinder in allowing 100,000 mini cab drivers to ply for hire around the streets of London at £300 per driver with some coming into town from as far as Manchester, Blackpool, Wolverhampton while now deciding to charge them 100,000 drivers 11.50 to enter the congestion zone.

Thieves
  • LenGlover said:
    We let these bastards scam us. We should be more like the French. @PragueAddick line us all up with a selection from your wardrobe :wink:
    This is fake news, propagated by @Fumbluff. My gilet is actually dark blue. The mistake comes because of the yellow top underneath it. As pointed out by the horrified media training expert I consulted in case I was on TV again. 

Anyway, back on topic...out of curiosity where is there a list by car type of what qualifies, pretty sure mine as a low emission diesel hybrid would be ok, but it is still a diesel
  • LenGlover said:
    We let these bastards scam us. We should be more like the French. @PragueAddick line us all up with a selection from your wardrobe :wink:
    This is fake news, propagated by @Fumbluff. My gilet is actually dark blue. The mistake comes because of the yellow top underneath it. As pointed out by the horrified media training expert I consulted in case I was on TV again. 

Anyway, back on topic...out of curiosity where is there a list by car type of what qualifies, pretty sure mine as a low emission diesel hybrid would be ok, but it is still a diesel
    There is a link on the first post of this thread, where you input your car reg.
  • LenGlover said:

There is a link on the first post of this thread, where you input your car reg.
    Yes but my problem is that my car reg. is forrin :-:smile:
  • At least you’ve admitted wearing yellow was a mistake...everyone has to start somewhere...
  • The Mayor of London wants to bring in a new charge for driving into London Boroughs of £3.50. So if you live in  Dartford and want to drive to  Bexley you will occur a charge.
  • Dansk_Red said:
    The Mayor of London wants to bring in a new charge for driving into London Boroughs of £3.50. So if you live in  Dartford and want to drive to  Bexley you will occur a charge.
    Not going to happen and he won't be mayor in 6 months time.
  • Sponsored links:

• So if you have to drive from let's say Gravesend to Central London in a petrol car that's about 5 years old, you'll have to pay £3.50, and £12.50, and £15, a total of £31 for the privilege. That doesn't take into account the petrol needed to undertake such a journey, and the cost of parking at the other end. Seems like a train would be a better bet, no? Well that's going to cost you about £25 quid anyway, and will take over an hour, not to mention you'll be cooped up on a train with a bunch of sweaty office workers, and probably delayed further by Southeastern. 

Laughably one solution is for us all to buy "greener cars" because of course we all the disposable income to chuck at buying super expensive electric cars don't we
  • sam3110 said:
    So if you have to drive from let's say Gravesend to Central London in a petrol car that's about 5 years old, you'll have to pay £3.50, and £12.50, and £15, a total of £31 for the privilege. That doesn't take into account the petrol needed to undertake such a journey, and the cost of parking at the other end. Seems like a train would be a better bet, no? Well that's going to cost you about £25 quid anyway, and will take over an hour, not to mention you'll be cooped up on a train with a bunch of sweaty office workers, and probably delayed further by Southeastern. 

Laughably one solution is for us all to buy "greener cars" because of course we all the disposable income to chuck at buying super expensive electric cars don't we
    Give it a few months and the government will be charging us for the air that we breathe in.
  • Dansk_Red said:
    The Mayor of London wants to bring in a new charge for driving into London Boroughs of £3.50. So if you live in  Dartford and want to drive to  Bexley you will occur a charge.
     Maybe ask the TFL workforce to take a pay freeze for a couple of years or ask their pension pot to lend a hand?
     The man is trying to subsidise an archaic, broken system.
    Joker
  • Dansk_Red said:
    Wonder if Kent will retaliate and charge the same amount for Londoners coming into Kent, be a bugger for those who want to use the M25 / Dartford tunnel, £3.50 for few hundred yards, plus the tolls.
  • Is the Range Rover exempt from ULEZ?
    How much is the road tax for it ?
    Yes. Uses AdBlue.
    How much is the road tax for it ?
    £150 PA plus a £325 PA surcharge for the first five years of the cars life.
  • sam3110 said:
    So if you have to drive from let's say Gravesend to Central London in a petrol car that's about 5 years old, you'll have to pay £3.50, and £12.50, and £15, a total of £31 for the privilege. That doesn't take into account the petrol needed to undertake such a journey, and the cost of parking at the other end. Seems like a train would be a better bet, no? Well that's going to cost you about £25 quid anyway, and will take over an hour, not to mention you'll be cooped up on a train with a bunch of sweaty office workers, and probably delayed further by Southeastern. 

To be fair, my petrol car is 14 years old but is still ULEZ-exempt. Diesel cars are another matter though.

I also think Khan has a valid point with the £3.50 charge. The issue is that the road tax that is collected in London is not spent on London – meanwhile users of public transport are subsidising the costs of road maintenance here. That said, I don't think he would actually go ahead with the proposal. It's more of a hard negotiating stance with the government.
  • London's Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ) is to be expanded to cover all of London, the mayor has announced, despite "overwhelming" opposition.

From 29 August 2023, drivers of the most polluting cars will have to pay £12.50 a day to enter to the Greater London Authority boundary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63754724

• Sponsored links:

• edited November 2022
    Absolute appalling news. Especially in SE London where the tube doesn't even go anywhere near. I bet the ULEZ map would look a lot different if it was based on the Underground.

So basically there is a £12.50 charge to enter Greater London. 

Muppets.
  • Stig said:
    How can it be about emissions. I will have to get rid of my 2012 1.6litre low emmisions diesel car (99g/km) or pay the charge. Or I could buy a 14 year old gas guzzling shit spewing 4.8 petrol engine (324g/km) and not pay the charge!!!
    Choice of your replacement vehicle is piss easy tho isn't it? In all seriousness, your 2012 diesel pumps out an ever increasing amount of noxious particulates, injurious to the health of all your fellow city dwellers plus its cynically misquoted amount of CO2. Cruising about the metropolis in your shiny petrol V8, with catalysed exhausts, you'll cough up a compensatory amount in fuel duty, feeling much much comfier and happier on your commute, with no trailing cloud of soot and free radicals. For the absence of doubt: the motor manufacturers' quoted CO2 figures are all cynically distorted perversions of a practically meaningless one-eyed measurement of nothing terribly relevant. There never was any real virtue in your clattery small capacity diesel. If you've kept it 6 years already you'll shortly be looking down the barrel of some significantly expensive parts replacement. Get thee with all haste to a purveyor of multi cylindered luxo barges, flipping your middle digit to the delusional enviromentalists - they'll thank you, eventually.
    If you bought a relatively new vehicle in good faith and then shortly after buying it are informed you can no longer use it due to a change in the law unless you pay a daily fee then you're going to feel aggrieved. Some diesels run happily for 15-20 years. Not everyone can afford to replace a vehicle so what compensation is on offer?
    This is a very good question. Personally, I have no qualms with government employing punative measures to dissuade undesirable behaviour, bur surely these have to be balanced with incentives for good behaviour.

Someone above also hoped there would be a short period where fines were not enforced. Not a hope in hell of that. TFL's finances are in a complete mess and they will be looking to fill their coffers with fines and charges from day one. 
    But it wont raise much money surely. Its too expensive for a car owner to persist with a non compliant vehicle.

Will revenue ever outweigh the infrastructure costs and processes?

My issue is not the imperative to do it but the timing - mid recession / post COVID etc. A little longer to impose would be better (fairer) and a compensation scheme that recognises most will need to replace a vehicle.

No you cant leave it indefinitely but circumstances right now mean this is sub optimal. 

Oh- and how much money has Khan wasted on the 'consultation' which was of no value in the decision making and just a smokescreen?

• Everyone says "No we don't want this" 

Politician does whatever the fuck he wants anyway

Shocked.
  • edited November 2022
    Stig said:

But it wont raise much money surely. Its too expensive for a car owner to persist with a non compliant vehicle.

Will revenue ever outweigh the infrastructure costs and processes?

My issue is not the imperative to do it but the timing - mid recession / post COVID etc. A little longer to impose would be better (fairer) and a compensation scheme that recognises most will need to replace a vehicle.

No you cant leave it indefinitely but circumstances right now mean this is sub optimal. 

Oh- and how much money has Khan wasted on the 'consultation' which was of no value in the decision making and just a smokescreen?

Very good!
  • Absolute appalling news. Especially in SE London where the tube doesn't even go anywhere near. I bet the ULEZ map would look a lot different if it was based on the Underground.

So basically there is a £12.50 charge to enter Greater London. 

Muppets.
    Only if you haven't got a compliant vehicle.
  • My mum has got a a 2008 diesel Peugeot, lives in West Dartford and won’t be able to go into Crayford Sainsburys to do her shopping 
  • Riscardo said:
    You pricks in London voted him in.
    It's a tory policy that he has to implement !!!

Bejesus
    I really think you need to check your facts here.