Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christmas Dinner 2018

Comments

• Options
    Me and Mrs ESM are cooking for nine at home. Roast Turkey with all the trimmings plus 3 x different desserts as a lot of the guests do not like Christmas Pudding.

The bit I am looking forward to is this is the first time in over 30 years we will be waking up on our own on Christmas morning and not having to worry about guests so it will be a lazy breakfast whilst opening the presents we have bought each other and then start prepping the food before the guests arrive.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Burger and chips maybe

Not in the microwave though Paulie 😉
    May havevto be if no local takeaways open(or money is short) may have to grab a rustlers burger
    Why don’t you look up places that are offering meals on Xmas day. There’s a few places near us that are doing it (churches and restaurants). It’s not just for the elderly or homeless, some are offering it to anyone who will be on their own.
    Just because you're on your own shouldn't stop you cooking & eating a Turkey dinner. I'm been living on my own for the past 8 years since my divorce & most Sundays I do myself roast.....lamb, beef, pork or chicken. Always do a full Xmas dinner too.....but usually that's with family.

And if you cant cook......learn.
  • Options

Burger and chips maybe

Not in the microwave though Paulie 😉
    May havevto be if no local takeaways open(or money is short) may have to grab a rustlers burger
    Why don’t you look up places that are offering meals on Xmas day. There’s a few places near us that are doing it (churches and restaurants). It’s not just for the elderly or homeless, some are offering it to anyone who will be on their own.
    Just because you're on your own shouldn't stop you cooking & eating a Turkey dinner. I'm been living on my own for the past 8 years since my divorce & most Sundays I do myself roast.....lamb, beef, pork or chicken. Always do a full Xmas dinner too.....but usually that's with family.

And if you cant cook......learn.
    Not everyone has the luxury of an oven @golfaddick
    I have lived on my own before and did cook.

Unfortunatly where I am living now I have no Oven just a microwave and unless you are Mercedes Mcqueen you cant cook a turkey in a microwave(1 for the Hollyoaks fans oyt there).

Also as I stated on the Christmas Tree thread, I am being forced to spend it away from my amazing girlfriend @kellycafc :wink: and 2 beautiful young children so am trying to ignore the day itself and sitting on my own eating a christmas dinner would kill my inside and thats not a good idea with my EUPD as the day itself is gonna be hard enough to not fall back into a deep depression.
  • Options
    Prawn cocktail - Prosecco

Duck, with cherry sauce; roast potatoes cooked in goose fat; gratin of brussels sprouts; honey-glazed, cumin-flavoured parsnips; red cabbage; stuffing - 2015 Coldstream Hills Chardonnay

Christmas pudding; brandy cream - 2017 Sam's Island Shiraz

Cheeses; chocolates; coffee - Baileys and Glenrowan Muscat

(It's the Muscat I am most looking forward to - absolutely astonishing, red dessert wine!)
  • Options
    What are you after @paulie8290 hehe
  • Options
    Jumped the gun with this thread - it’s meant to be started on Christmas morning! Same as the presents thread!
  • Options
    Christmas lunch - mid day at Cottesloe beach Perth, 35°...
    Last minute shopping for ingredients this evening as we both at work today and couldn't face the shops on the weekend.
    On the menu:
    Selection of lukewarm meats cheeses and prawns garnished with salmonella and listeria marinade, tsunamied with 9 Coronas.
    Then Uber spew to the evening garden Shiraz party by the River at Rolf Harriss's Bassendean.
  • Options
    Breakfast: Scramled egg and smoked salmon

Afternoon:

Prawn cocktail with avocado for starters

Rib-eye steaks, mixed veg, yorkshire puddings and mashed potato roasted and stuffed with gravy.

Whatever cake I feel like baking in the morning.

In the evening it'll be a massive cheese board (that cost a fortune, damn you China) and other assorted snacks.

I'll be doing all the cooking and the MIL is bricking it, as she's not a real fan of western food!

• Options
    Will be in Blackheath for Christmas with friends and have no idea what the meal will be.
    She’s a very good cook though, so I’m expecting something great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We spend every other Christmas in Southern California. And as is tradition, the kids spend Christmas Day at their favourite place on earth - Disneyland.

Place is heaving and whilst I do miss the traditional Christmas lunch before settling down to watch a movie afterwards, it’s worth it seeing the looks on their faces. Totally magical day.

Also always nice to get a bit of warm winter sunshine - 20c or so. Perfect.
  • Options
    Cooking for 6, including 2 vegetarians. The first one I'm hosting, although the previous 4 I have done the cooking but at my mum's house.

Puy lentil shepherd's pie for the vegetarians, it's really popular.

Turkey
    Beef joint
    Gammon
    Pigs in blankets
    Roast potatoes (with turkey)
    Roast potatoes (air fried)
    Mustard mashed potato
    Beef gravy
    Poultry gravy
    Yorkshire puddings
    Mixed veg
  • Options
    My wife's just out of hospital after an op' so I am on full time caring duties.

So for the first time ever I will be attempting to deliver a roast dinner with all the trimmings. My attempts to persuade her we should do something different this year, like a pizza or a curry or a can of soup were not well received...

Fortunately it's only for the three of us but there's now a ridiculously expensive and far too large piece of beef in the fridge silently goading me that I don't have a clue what I am going to do with it tomorrow. Ridiculous really that I'm intimidated by a piece of meat* but I don't want to mess it up for her!

*insert your own smut here.
  • Options
    Will be a hotel buffet brunch for us and 7 others here in Bangkok. All the usual Christmas food plus seafood, steaks, cheeses and free flow booze. Should be a cracking few hours followed by an evening in thr pub.
    (https://www.pullmanbangkokgrandesukhumvit.com/festive-offers-christmas-newyear/christmas-brunch-buffet/)
  • Options

Addickted said:

Food

Oysters with beef and horseradish jelly
    Carpaccio of hand dived scallops with truffle vinaigrette
    Goose breast with goose leg sausage roll, kale and cranberry relish
    Christmas pudding sundae
    Cheeses: Vintage Cheddar, Somerset Brie, Blue Stilton, Smoked German

Drinks

Cocktail - Le Coup D’etat – elderflower, port and champagne cocktail
    Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc
    Terre da Vino Barolo Riserva
    2011 Taylor Fladgate Vintage Port

We have the Duke of Westminster posting on Charlton Life!!

Buy the Club!
    You want to see the cigar I've got to go with the Port - reckon it will last me to New Years Eve.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Food

Oysters with beef and horseradish jelly
    Carpaccio of hand dived scallops with truffle vinaigrette
    Goose breast with goose leg sausage roll, kale and cranberry relish
    Christmas pudding sundae
    Cheeses: Vintage Cheddar, Somerset Brie, Blue Stilton, Smoked German

Drinks

Cocktail - Le Coup D’etat – elderflower, port and champagne cocktail
    Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc
    Terre da Vino Barolo Riserva
    2011 Taylor Fladgate Vintage Port

But you've never heard of a kir?
    You can't buy class matey.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Pate
    Prawns
    Chicken goujons (for the kids)

Turkey
    Lamb
    Roast Potatoes
    Stuffing
    Yorkshire Puds
    Sprouts
    Pigs
    Carrots
    Parsnips
    Peas
    Swede
    Gravy

Eton Mess
    Christmas Pud
    Cheesecake

15 round at ours including 3 kids and one baby.

Missus cooking.

Hope the day passes off without a mass punch up.
  • Options
    what are peoples thoughts on having a Yorkshire pudding as part of the turkey dinner?
    for me personally the Yorkshire shouldn't be included.
  • Options

what are peoples thoughts on having a Yorkshire pudding as part of the turkey dinner?

It's Christmas - do whatever you want.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread is really making me miss home.
  • Options

Round to the future In-Laws - which I’m dreading. 10 cans of San Miguel for Breakfast should help get me through the day.

I feel sorry for them.
  • Options

Round to the future In-Laws - which I’m dreading. 10 cans of San Miguel for Breakfast should help get me through the day.

I feel sorry for them.
    No need mate - they are only cans of beer.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Cooking for 6, including 2 vegetarians. The first one I'm hosting, although the previous 4 I have done the cooking but at my mum's house.

Puy lentil shepherd's pie for the vegetarians, it's really popular.

Turkey
    Beef joint
    Gammon
    Pigs in blankets
    Roast potatoes (with turkey)
    Roast potatoes (air fried)
    Mustard mashed potato
    Beef gravy
    Poultry gravy
    Yorkshire puddings
    Mixed veg

3 separate meats for 4 people seems hard graft @Huskaris
  • Options
    In Prague, (not Eltham), and one time of the year when I'm the main cook. Czech Christmas cooking is pretty derisory. Carp and potato salad on 24th evening. I mean, come on...

Bit this time the cooking is spread across five days

- already did the gammon for neighbour event on Friday. They scoffed nearly all of it. Delicious soup from it, though.

- classic turkey on 27th for the wife's extended family (due to niece being on doctor duty tmrw)

- so tomorrow for the wife and I, it's a classic roast beef joint for the first time in ages. Good looking and monstrous joint from Chris the English farmer/butcher. However I have never cooked Yorkshire pudding. Wife is a capable cook, generally, but any tips re the Yorkshires will be much appreciated.

- and then in the evening after walking it off, neighbours round for roast beef sandwiches and an introduction to sherry and mince pies.
  • Options
    10 at our place for xmas dinner.

I dont eat any veg so my dinner will consist of ;

Turkey
    Gammon/Ham
    Roast spuds in duck fat.
    Pigs in blankets
    Whatever stuffing there is.
    Yorkshire puddings

Christmas Pudding with Custard
    trifle
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

personally think Yorkshire puddings should be had with any roast.
    me too
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

personally think Yorkshire puddings should be had with any roast.
    as long as they're homemade and not aunt bessies.
  • Options
    @PragueAddick have a look on bbc good food, loads of recipes and always good tips in the comments sections at The bottom