Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drones at Gatwick

Comments

• Options

When they catch these people they should be given as harsh a punishment as possible. I mean, vital organs for operations can be flown in to Airports too. I would give them 10 years.

10 years fuck that wouldn't waste a cell on them, these tech types have 0 common sense.
    You know this is caused by a tech type, how exactly?

Anyone with the money can go buy and fly drones, it's not rocket science.
  • Options

When they catch these people they should be given as harsh a punishment as possible. I mean, vital organs for operations can be flown in to Airports too. I would give them 10 years.

10 years fuck that wouldn't waste a cell on them, these tech types have 0 common sense.

to be into flying drones you have to be of a technical mind, akin to people that play with train sets, not my bag.

also to fly them with any skill you cant just take it out the box and off it goes, they have drone racing world cups etc.

its a bit like saying a hacker isn't really into computers
  • Options
    20,000 passengers disrupted. Aircraft diverted to Paris, Amsterdam and other UK airports.

The authorities have been aware of the potential for this for a few years and yet no detailed contingency plan was in place. No police or Armed Forces marksmen brought in to “take out” the offending drones and now nearly 14 hours after the drones appeared the situation persists.

All the Commander of Gatwick Airport Police could offer was that he has 20 units whatever that means out trying to find the perpetrators.

Can you imagine this situation being allowed to continue in the USA or in France for example ?

You couldn’t make it up.

• Options
    Update :
    765 flights either cancelled or delayed.
    110,000 passengers affected
  • Options
    It is outrageous
  • Options

to be into flying drones you have to be of a technical mind, akin to people that play with train sets, not my bag.

also to fly them with any skill you cant just take it out the box and off it goes, they have drone racing world cups etc.

No, it's not like that at all, I wouldn't consider myself a 'techy' at all, yet I love having a go on drones, they are really not that hard to control, of course you can be 'really good' at it, but I don't think you'd need exceptional skills to buzz around Gatwick.

This would have taken someone (or several people) with money and time to plan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

20,000 passengers disrupted. Aircraft diverted to Paris, Amsterdam and other UK airports.

The authorities have been aware of the potential for this for a few years and yet no detailed contingency plan was in place. No police or Armed Forces marksmen brought in to “take out” the offending drones and now nearly 14 hours after the drones appeared the situation persists.

All the Commander of Gatwick Airport Police could offer was that he has 20 units whatever that means out trying to find the perpetrators.

Can you imagine this situation being allowed to continue in the USA or in France for example ?

You couldn’t make it up.

It’s odd that Gatwick had nothing in place for this type of event. Having been behind the scenes of Heathrow, I’m aware they have contingency plans set up for most situations you could imagine.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

This seems to be an organised attempt at creating mass disruption at our second biggest airport as it approaches probably one of the busiest periods of the year for air travel.

I doubt it is one person thinking they want to have some fun.

could be a protest, someone like greenpeace for example
  • Options
    If you do something as a protest, you have to let people know who you are.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

This seems to be an organised attempt at creating mass disruption at our second biggest airport as it approaches probably one of the busiest periods of the year for air travel.

I doubt it is one person thinking they want to have some fun.

could be a protest, someone like greenpeace for example
    Possibly - I could think of quite a few possible candidates but that would just be conjecture. Although thinking about it, as it's been going on for over 12 hours a claim by an organised grouping would likely have been made by now.
  • Options

No, it's not like that at all, I wouldn't consider myself a 'techy' at all, yet I love having a go on drones, they are really not that hard to control, of course you can be 'really good' at it, but I don't think you'd need exceptional skills to buzz around Gatwick.

This would have taken someone (or several people) with money and time to plan.
    okay to be into this sort of thing of delaying people you are a technically minded and also some sort of cunt, i know recently on an episode of dragons den there was a guy who created a licensed drone user base, so there must be some sort of skill involved - joe bloggs could not buy a few drones and cause havoc with them.
    On your second point we agree, certainly takes a special type of see you next Tuesday.

However, I still believe anyone of reasonable intelligence could pull this off if they were willing to put in enough money and time. They're drones, not planes. I also doubt this is the work of one person.
  • Options
    I was looking at some drones in a technology shop this week. I was surprised at the height and flying time allowed by some of the most expensive models. Advanced technology is getting cheaper all the time, unfortunately so is the potential for bad people to misuse it in all sorts of ways
  • Options
    what was the flight time and range?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You couldn’t make it up.

So a toy can bring one airport to a grinding halt.

We are SO ready for Brexit.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Fiiish said:

You couldn’t make it up.

So a toy can bring one airport to a grinding halt.

We are SO ready for Brexit.
    Fuck me you can link anything to brexit these days... zzzzzzzz even if its a joke :smile:
  • Options
    edited December 2018

what was the flight time and range?

.. a couple of vids about drones costing around £300-500 .. Parrot is a French tech company

https://youtu.be/KftVskurq7M
    https://youtu.be/vQFVQg-PXtg
    https://youtu.be/PkIPFJwAWxw
  • Options
    25mins of fun with a Drone yet a lifetime of agro from the missus for not being taken to a fancy dinner
  • Options
    The yanks love their high powered spud guns, get one of those to knock the fuckers out the sky.
  • Options
    I'm just thankful I collected @Len\'s_little_girl on Tuesday night from Gatwick as she decided to stick with her original booking. She nearly changed her flight to last night as she had meetings which meant getting to the airport to catch her Tuesday flight was potentially tight.
  • Options
    Might have been better involving the military - in fact letting them lead on this rather than the Police.