Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Comments

• Options
    There should not be a shortlist. Let people vote for who they want.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

You know why that's completely impractical though, don't you?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Because the BBC won't make any money out of it.
    It is the way it used to be done, either on a postcard or using the coupon provided in the Radio Times, and the winner was always a worthy one.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

It is the way it used to be done, either on a postcard or using the coupon provided in the Radio Times, and the winner was always a worthy one.
    There was always a shortlist announced though wasnt there before the entry was sent on a Postcard?

What I didnt like was the shameless voting appeals from twitter though that was no doubt at the request of the BBC!!

• Options
    Young Harry really does remind me of Beavis from Beavis & Butthead!
  • Options
    edited December 2018

With regards to Hamilton winning it though, it shouldn't be about breaking records over the course of many years.

Like when Giggs won it, he won it because of the records he broke. But that didn't equate to him being the best sportsman of the year, it certainly wasn't the best year of his career was it.

I think you could argue that it was. He didn't make any mistakes and over all of the races, the Ferrari was stronger.
  • Options

I'd never even heard of the winner

On your bike EA,
    there is always a cycle to who wins the trophy.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

The BBC don't make money from phone votes, if that's what you're suggesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After the World Cup heroics and now today

Ben Stokes has to win SPOTY
    He’s not actually British I don’t think. Does that make a difference? I’m not sure on the rules. If he is allowed to be nominated, I agree he deserves to win
  • Options
    May as well just close the vote now!
  • Options

He’s not actually British I don’t think. Does that make a difference? I’m not sure on the rules. If he is allowed to be nominated, I agree he deserves to win
    I think playing for the England national team is qualification enough
  • Options

Of course he is. Came over when 12
  • Options
    Freddie Flintoff in 2005 the last cricket player to win SPOTY
  • Options

Wayne Rooney for me this year 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    cabbles said:

Wayne Rooney for me this year 
    I was thinking Lewis Page. 
  • Options
    I think you have to play a sport this year so Page is no goer.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Played a few pre-season friendlies so the joke is on you!!!
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Played a few pre-season friendlies so the joke is on you!!!
    And he trained for 20 mins as well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Actually the England Cricket team have got to be in with a good shout for team of the year just for the World Cup win.

If we were to win the Ashes as well though who would get the credit, anyone who was in either the one day or the test squad, or something else?
  • Options

He has just pretty much won a test match single handed with bat and ball for England. 
    You don’t have to be born here to be British but scoring a ton for England certainly speeds up the process.

• Options

He was born abroad but certainly qualifies. Otherwise Mo Farah, Chris Froome and others wouldn't have been nominated.
    Hard to see anybody doing enough to overtake him as favourite
  • Options
    No point bothering with a short list is there?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    redman said:

He was born abroad but certainly qualifies. Otherwise Mo Farah, Chris Froome and others wouldn't have been nominated.
    To me, if someone comes over as a child and effectively learns their sport here, likes Stokes or Farah they're undisputedly British. When people come over as adults (like KP and Greg Rusedski) it's less clear cut.
  • Options
    redman said:

To me, if someone comes over as a child and effectively learns their sport here, likes Stokes or Farah they're undisputedly British. When people come over as adults (like KP and Greg Rusedski) it's less clear cut.
    I think that’s fair.
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer must win it......
  • Options
    Think Stokes is nailed on.  The only thing that could change it is a star for England in the Rugby World Cup.  I don’t follow rugby union at all, so whether or not there is someone I wouldn’t know 
  • Options
    redman said:

Heritage is a factor in nationality though.

KP's mother is English, born in Hampshire I believe. Rusedski has a similar heritage with an indisputably British parent or grandparent. Closer to home our own John Hewie represented Scotland in the 1958 World Cup because his grandfather was Scottish.

Farah, for me, quite properly qualifies on residential grounds as he lived here for many (10 plus I believe) years before being selected. Stokes similarly.