Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why aren't we playing Wimbledon or Gillingham over the Christmas period?

The 2 Saturdays before Christmas we have 2 local derbies, whereas on Boxing Day and NYD (when travel is much harder) we are away to Coventry and home to Walsall.

Instead on Boxing Day Wimbledon are home to Plymouth while Gillingham are home to Portsmouth. It's as if the EFL are deliberately making the Boxing Day fixtures difficult to go to for any away fans...

Comments

• Its also why the Football League ensure we play away games like Burton on a Tuesday night rather than Wimbledon or Gillingham

i.e. they dont think many fans will bother attending so ensure the big local games are on a Weekend to get more ticket sales
  • Coventry is easy to get to on Boxing Day, what is the matter with some people................

• Write to the EFL and complain that Charlton are being sent to Coventry
  • A lot of clubs asked for derbies to be moved away from Xmas and Easter and these were often the biggest pay days of the season so shouldn't be "wasted" on holidays.

I don't agree and think there should be at least more local games, like Southend, but that is part of the rationale.

It seems especially odd this season as in our current run we have 2 home games followed by 2 away games followed by 2 home games! Swapping the Coventry and Gillingham games would give a more conventional H/A alternation.
  • A lot of clubs asked for derbies to be moved away from Xmas and Easter and these were often the biggest pay days of the season so shouldn't be "wasted" on holidays.

I don't agree and think there should be at least more local games, like Southend, but that is part of the rationale.

It seems especially odd this season as in our current run we have 2 home games followed by 2 away games followed by 2 home games! Swapping the Coventry and Gillingham games would give a more conventional H/A alternation.
    Agree, that is annoying.

I heard a rumour Mick Everitt fancied a quiet Christmas so fixed it to have no home games : - )
  • Gillingham have only 1500 tickets for next week. I would think they'll sell quickly.
  • Not just efl. Look at the prem fixtures. Bournemouth away at Huddersfield is a joke.
  • Didn't the police ask a few years ago for no local derbies to be played over the Christmas period? Much easier to police say charlton/Walsall rather than charlton/Gillingham, so less police required and more of them could have the Christmas period off.
  • Didn't the police ask a few years ago for no local derbies to be played over the Christmas period? Much easier to police say charlton/Walsall rather than charlton/Gillingham, so less police required and more of them could have the Christmas period off.

Possibly. Charlton Wimbledon is hardly an aggro fixture though
  • Sponsored links:

Yet what clubs don't consider are that lots of fans have plans on Boxing Day and like to have football first and then see family afterwards.

Coventry away at 3pm means this can't be done so I won't be going to Coventry.

Had Coventry been an early kick off or had we had someone like Southend or Gillingham away even at 3pm this could have been done and then family stuff done afterwards as well. Coventry away at 3pm suits nobody IMO.
  • ChiAddick said:

Not just efl. Look at the prem fixtures. Bournemouth away at Huddersfield is a joke.

For christmas yes it would be, but they're away at huddersfield.......in March. Bournemouth are away at Spurs on Boxing day.