Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby Sarr - Was it a red card?

Comments

• Options
    No -Yellow at most
    Dazzler21 said:

Leuth said:

The Pompey one wasn't even a foul on the replay, I thought

This.

Also glad to see Bowyer agrees with me. Naby won the ball first.
    He clearly doesnt feel that otherwise surely he would appeal.

Sounds to me like he is saying oh it wasnt a red, he got the ball, cos thats what we want to hear.

If he truely believed it wasnt a red he would appeal
  • Options
    No -Yellow at most
    It was tongue in cheek.

Though I feel Naby did foul their player, there is no way on this earth for me it was a red card offence. It was a single footed studs at normal tackle angle, sliding tackle that was just a second late.
  • Options
    Yes - Red Card sadly
    If it wasn't a red card why's he missing 3 games
  • Options
    Yes - Red Card sadly
    Move on. It is what it is.
  • Options
    No -Yellow at most
    In real time from the north upper we thought Sarr had won the ball. We were surprised it was even a card never mind about a red card.

Admittedly we didn’t have the best angle but you could see he was looking to win the ball and it didn’t look that dangerous.

Very harsh I thought. However I also thought the sending off for the dive was a bit harsh because it looked like Pinnock got caught on the way through (then making a meal of minimal contact) but no one is disputing that one so maybe my eyes aren’t what they were.
  • Options

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I think the criticism of Kettle is slightly harsh as it was definitely the linesman that called it a red. Still a shite ref admittedly.

Kettle may have said "can you give any reason why I shouldn't send him off?"
  • Options
    No -Yellow at most

In real time from the north upper we thought Sarr had won the ball. We were surprised it was even a card never mind about a red card.

Admittedly we didn’t have the best angle but you could see he was looking to win the ball and it didn’t look that dangerous.

Very harsh I thought. However I also thought the sending off for the dive was a bit harsh because it looked like Pinnock got caught on the way through (then making a meal of minimal contact) but no one is disputing that one so maybe my eyes aren’t what they were.

I sat in the North Upper almost in perfect line of the Pinnock dive and it was absolutely a dive I can assure you.
  • Options
    No -Yellow at most
    In the North Lower near us there was a collective wince as the tackle went in. All agreed it looked late, but were surprised it was not just a yellow.
  • Options
    No -Yellow at most
    Only seen the replay as I was looking elsewhere when it happened, but first minute sliding one foot is not a red. Unfortunately Trevor Kettle constantly needs to get involved and influence games
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Yes - Red Card sadly
    I think he thinks it was harsh but there is no point appealing. Why not take the advice of Parkes, somebody who as been involved in many appeals - I recall a sending off we appealed in our Premiership days which they added a game to for appealing.

I won't go into details, but I know from personal experience what a joke the FA disciplinary system is. What you need is for the ref to admit he may have been wrong - good luck doing that with Kettle! Just suck it in and take it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes - Red Card sadly

In real time from North East corner I thought he'd snapped his shin in half and cringed.
    Me and my family knew he was off the second he done it, I'd have sent him off had I been reffing.
  • Options
    No -Yellow at most
    At worst it's a one match ban. But it is what it is.
  • Options
    No -Yellow at most

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/afc-wimbledon-boss-on-not-being-afraid-to-play-young-guns-and-referee-not-standing-strong-at-charlton-athletic/

“He might be thinking his first one [Sarr] was rash. I thought it was a yellow – he wasn’t completely out of control. It was fast and strong.

Seems that the Wimbledon boss as well as Bowyer thought it was only ever a Yellow...

Says to me we should’ve appealed. Genuinely think it would have been rescinded.
  • Options
    Disappointed we havent even tried an appeal. Thats not a straight red any day of the week ffs! But if CP says it aint worth appealing he knows better than us i guess.
  • Options
    No -Yellow at most
    Sage said:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/afc-wimbledon-boss-on-not-being-afraid-to-play-young-guns-and-referee-not-standing-strong-at-charlton-athletic/

“He might be thinking his first one [Sarr] was rash. I thought it was a yellow – he wasn’t completely out of control. It was fast and strong.

Seems that the Wimbledon boss as well as Bowyer thought it was only ever a Yellow...

I wonder if Downes would have issued a statement in support of Sarr having his red card rescinded had we appealled - You certainly hear of that occasionally happening where the opposition will support the affected club during the process
  • Options
    No -Yellow at most

Sage said:

I wonder if Downes would have issued a statement in support of Sarr having his red card rescinded had we appealled - You certainly hear of that occasionally happening where the opposition will support the affected club during the process
    Wouldn’t surprise me. Downes and Bows seem to respect one another and having Sarr back isn’t going to make a difference to Wimbledon’s season.
  • Options

At worst it's a one match ban. But it is what it is.

It's either 0 games, as not a red or 3, there's no compromise.
  • Options
    Yes - Red Card sadly
    Sage said:

Sage said:

Wouldn’t surprise me. Downes and Bows seem to respect one another and having Sarr back isn’t going to make a difference to Wimbledon’s season.
    The thing is, the incident didn't happen in front of Downes or Bowyer. It is harsh, 3 games is harsh but hopefully Naby will learn from it.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Sage said:

Sage said:

The thing is, the incident didn't happen in front of Downes or Bowyer. It is harsh, 3 games is harsh but hopefully Naby will learn from it.
    What would he learn exactly?
    Not to go for a 50/50 ball with whole hearted intent ‘just in case’ it was fractionally mistimed.....by himself or his opponent?
    How quickly you have forgotten the superb goal saving tackle he made a few days earlier that had it have been a split second badly timed, would have led to his dismissal and a penalty against us.
    So what lesson are you hoping he’s learned that every player of whatever standard who steps onto a football pitch doesn’t already know.....there’s nothing to learn if you think about it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Yes - Red Card sadly
    You have to pick your tackles - it was a needless one given where it was on the pitch. I haven't forgotten that goal saving one and the risk was then justified of course. I would expect him to learn that!
  • Options
    No -Yellow at most
    In that area on the pitch; Naby could probably have just closed him down and put pressure on him to pass it backwards - Part of me wonders though if Naby was concious of his lack of pace against a full-back (the disadvantage of him playing out there) and didnt want to do that because there would have been the potential for him being left for dead
  • Options
    Yes - Red Card sadly
    I suspect he was confident he would make the tackle - but he could have closed him down which is what he should have done.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

You have to pick your tackles - it was a needless one given where it was on the pitch. I haven't forgotten that goal saving one and the risk was then justified of course. I would expect him to learn that!

Muttley......in the heat of battle you don’t have time to judge these things if you are a committed wholehearted player.....no matter where you are on the pitch.
    He was simply unlucky and speaking for myself I hope this incident won’t have changed his thought process otherwise the perfect tackle he made a few days earlier may never again take place.
    No.....carry on lad, have the courage of your convictions and take the rough with the smooth he was very very unfortunate.
    All opinions of course but that’s my take on it.

• Options

Muttley......in the heat of battle you don’t have time to judge these things if you are a committed wholehearted player.....no matter where you are on the pitch.
    He was simply unlucky and Speaking for myself I hope this incident won’t have changed his thought process otherwise the perfect tackle he made a few days earlier would not have taken place.
    No.....carry on lad and take the rough with the smooth he was very very unfortunate.
    All opinions of course but that’s my take on it.

Making correct decisions 'in the heat of battle' is what makes a great player, now clearly, Sarr is s league one back up player, so we can't expect perfection, but clearly he can learn a lot from that red card, you'd hope players learn from every game!
  • Options
    Yes - Red Card sadly
    Sound as, I respect you but I can't believe you can't see this was an error of judgement from Sarr, whether it was a red or not. I like Sarr, I think we are better with him in the team and still do. As a manager, albeit at youth grass routes level, I would speak to the player and explain why you have to pick your tackles. As Stu says, you can always learn from your mistakes.
  • Options

Sound as, I respect you but I can't believe you can't see this was an error of judgement from Sarr, whether it was a red or not. I like Sarr, I think we are better with him in the team and still do. As a manager, albeit at youth grass routes level, I would speak to the player and explain why you have to pick your tackles. As Stu says, you can always learn from your mistakes.

But it wasn’t a mistake.....it was a fair tackle, so exactly what should he have learned .....that officials sometimes get it wrong is about all I should think.
    Appreciate we’re just going round in circles here....so sorry about that.
    We’ll just have to agree to disagree....interesting though none-the-less.
  • Options

But it wasn’t a mistake.....it was a fair tackle, so exactly what should he have learned .....that officials sometimes get it wrong is about all I should think.
    Never in a million years was it a fair tackle, I'm not convinced it was a red, but it was at least a foul!
  • Options
    Yes - Red Card sadly

Fair tackle? It was a foul, plain and simple.
  • Options
    The vote says different Henry.......and by a huge distance.
    Going to have to admit it old chap .............well it is Christmas after all.
    LOL.