Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Naby Sarr - Was it a red card?

Comments

• No -Yellow at most

It's 2018 not 1978.

You can't go in recklessly, smashing a player up in the air and risking breaking his ankle or leg and complain at getting a red card.

We'd be foolish to appeal and if we do I'm confident we will lose, which tells you all you need to know.

PS should we have another poll, asking opinions if that foul was on a Charlton player ? :smile:

Well the nearest thing to Sarr's challenge was the Pompey card in midweek, I felt a red card was harsh then too. Was Sarr's red any worse than the Pompey red in midweek?
    Maybe not but at Pompey both players were going for the ball. Not the case yesterday.
    Come on @leuth I know you love Sarr even more than you love collecting flags but no need to flag people for that : - )
    In that case I'll have a like then @Leuth , us Nabster groupies have got to stick together :wink:
  • No -Yellow at most
    I mean put it this way. Thinking that was a red card is defensible and many of you feel that way. Fair enough. But thinking Sarr wasn't going for the ball, and was trying to hurt his opponent? You don't understand football, you don't understand Sarr, and you barely support Charlton
  • Yes - Red Card sadly
    Leuth said:

Your commitment to bullshit is unaccountable. Please seek help

Mental health "joke". Stay classy.
  • No -Yellow at most
    Watching it without a replay on my first instinct, i would say yellow at best.
  • Yes - Red Card sadly
    Leuth said:

I mean put it this way. Thinking that was a red card is defensible and many of you feel that way. Fair enough. But thinking Sarr wasn't going for the ball, and was trying to hurt his opponent? You don't understand football, you don't understand Sarr, and you barely support Charlton

Intent is really immaterial. The challenge looked to me reckless and 99 times out of 100 would have resulted in a red card. I don’t think for a second Sarr had intent to hurt his opponent.
  • No -Yellow at most

Leuth said:

Intent is really immaterial. The challenge looked to me reckless and 99 times out of 100 would have resulted in a red card. I don’t think for a second Sarr had intent to hurt his opponent.
    Yeah, but Henry was saying that Sarr wasn't going for the ball at all, which is not only obviously untrue but also calumny of a fairly high order on a player nobody at Charlton has a bad word to say about
  • Yes - Red Card sadly
    Red card for me sadly, it was kind of borderline though.
  • Yes - Red Card sadly
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Yeah, but Henry was saying that Sarr wasn't going for the ball at all, which is not only obviously untrue but also calumny of a fairly high order on a player nobody at Charlton has a bad word to say about
    Oh for fucks sake, I said "both players".

Clearly the Wimbledon player wasn't going for the ball, unlike at Pompey.

• Yes - Red Card sadly
    Leuth said:

You having a laugh.
    How many of us have said sarr wasn't going for the ball.
    Did you really flag Henry for that comment.
    Barely support Charlton, you honestly think I'd go Burton on the coach for a laugh.
  • No -Yellow at most
    clb74 said:

Leuth said:

You having a laugh.
    Barely support Charlton, you honestly think I'd go Burton on the coach for a laugh.
    I think you need a medal mate especially as you told me the journey to Bradford by train was horrendous as well :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

• No -Yellow at most
    clb74 said:

Leuth said:

You having a laugh.
    I removed the flag as it had been given in anger. Neither of us were going for the ball there either
  • edited December 2018
    Yes - Red Card sadly
    clb74 said:

Leuth said:

You having a laugh.
    He doesn't read then verbally lashes out at a perceived slight against his hero.

Like the time he claimed anyone booing Sarr was racist.

Of course Sarr was going for the ball. No one, including me, said different.

The comparison with the Pompey red card was made and I stated that in that instance that "both players were going for the ball".

Clearly, only one player was going for the ball yesterday, Sarr, as the Wimbledon player had already played it when he was caught.

The mental health jibe and other nonsense was OTT too. Anyone who saw it as a red doesn't understand football and isn't a real Charlton fan? WTF?
  • edited December 2018
    Yes - Red Card sadly
    He caught him shin high with his studs up, non argument with the letter of the law.

He was out of control in the tackle to add an extra case.

Needless tackle in a needless area at a needles point of the match.

Unlucky Nabby as you have been playing much improved.
  • No -Yellow at most
    Never a red, yellow at best - ref realised he dropped a bollock and couldn’t wait to even it up
  • Yes - Red Card sadly

It's 2018 not 1978.

You can't go in recklessly, smashing a player up in the air and risking breaking his ankle or leg and complain at getting a red card.

We'd be foolish to appeal and if we do I'm confident we will lose, which tells you all you need to know.

PS should we have another poll, asking opinions if that foul was on a Charlton player ? :smile:

Well the nearest thing to Sarr's challenge was the Pompey card in midweek, I felt a red card was harsh then too. Was Sarr's red any worse than the Pompey red in midweek?
    Personally, I feel Sarr's was definitely worse and deserved a red card.

I thought Thompson of Portsmouth was a 50/50 challenge and not deserving of a red.

Like I say, let's see if we appeal and if we do let's see the result.

I reckon we have a 10% chance of appealing & winning.
  • Yes - Red Card sadly

It's 2018 not 1978.

I thought Thompson of Portsmouth was a 50/50 challenge and not deserving of a red.

I would imagine it’s less than that.
  • No -Yellow at most
    One footed, in control, not very late, but slightly high. I can see why a cnut like Kettle gave it but I don't think it was a red. Pillock's sliding double footer that just missed was worse, and that only got a yellow
  • Yes - Red Card sadly

It's 2018 not 1978.

Here we go another plastic.
  • Yes - Red Card sadly

It's 2018 not 1978.

I would imagine it’s less than that.
    So do I tbh, I was gonna say 5%.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes - Red Card sadly
    Looked studs up...
  • No -Yellow at most
    Had another look at Thompson Tuesday, agree that it's a different situation, and a red was harsh.

Still believe most refs would have gone for the yellow, and that Kettle would have done if it had been a physically smaller player such as Solly. And that a VAR running 4th official would have told Kettle its a yellow.

The worst aspect is the 3 match ban that results.
  • No -Yellow at most
    Looked at it a number of times and in slo mo and i’m not even sure Sarr doesn’t win the ball. Booking at best.
  • No -Yellow at most

Had another look at Thompson Tuesday, agree that it's a different situation, and a red was harsh.

Still believe most refs would have gone for the yellow, and that Kettle would have done if it had been a physically smaller player such as Solly. And that a VAR running 4th official would have told Kettle its a yellow.

The worst aspect is the 3 match ban that results.

Effectively a 4 match ban given he missed all but one minute yesterday!
  • edited December 2018
    Yes - Red Card sadly
    I don't think there was any intent and Sarr misjudged the speed off the slippery surface. But it was a challenge he didn't have to make, I know that isn't relevant, but having had a good view of it, I feared the worse at the time.
  • No -Yellow at most
    Yellow for me. He lunged in but doesn’t appear to have his studs up in the replays that I’ve seen. Not reckless enough to warrant a straight red but I’d have definitely had him on very thin ice if I was the ref.
  • No -Yellow at most
    Unless it was very dangerous play I would say this was harsh. Less than a minute gone. Atrocious conditions. Kettle should have taken that into consideration in my opinion.
  • Have replayed a gazillion times. Nothing has changed my immediate reaction. No way was it a Red Card. Kettle is a complete knob. Always has been, always will be.
  • No -Yellow at most
    Yellow imo although doesn’t matter as we got all 3 points.
  • edited December 2018
    No -Yellow at most
    I seem to recall Naby making an almost identical tackle on a Burton forward bearing down on goal last month which was hailed as 'a last ditch worldly'. Some people have short memories, on this occasion his timing was slightly off. No malice in it as Bowyer said he's an honest lad. Just saying like :open_mouth:

Edit; oh and can someone explain to me how, when going to ground to make a tackle your studs are not showing / up ?