Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Wimbledon | Sat 15 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v AFC Wimbledon
Saturday 15th December 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Trevor Kettle (Rutland)

Introduction

If you can take anything from the first half of the season then it’s the fact that Lee Bowyer’s side do have the quality to match those competing at the right end of the table… Tuesday night saw the Addicks recovering from a 2-1 defeat in Blackpool to record a victory by the same margin over table topping Portsmouth – Injuries though continue to decimate the squad, and as we approach tomorrows clash against AFC Wimbledon will surely be down to the bare bones as we enter the most hectic period of the footballing season!!

The Opposition
Name
: AFC Wimbledon | Manager: Wally Downes
Ground: Kingsmeadow

It’s been an impressive rise through the Football Pyramid for AFC Wimbledon of late yet you have to wonder if they’ve reached their ceiling level, indeed the dizzy heights of the Premier League which the original Wimbledon reached now seem a life time ago, especially as this season will no doubt be the biggest fight in the clubs history as they look to avoid a first relegation in their new history!!

This season though it’s been all the more harder than the two previous spent at League One level; the loss of top scorer Lyle Taylor to Charlton Athletic has been a hole that the Dons have been unable to replace and only sit off the bottom of the table courtesy of goal difference, with one win since the end of September this is a side that will be short of confidence, yet will still be dangerous as the visit South East London for the sole London Derby in League One this year!!

Of course there have been plenty of connections within both sides over recent seasons; Lyle Taylor being one of those, whilst lining up for the Dons will be fellow Striker: Joe Pigott, having made his debut under Chris Powell he would struggle to make the grade, yet after recovering at Maidstone United the former academy youngster has had neat recovery, and with seven goals this term will be just as much of a threat for our opponents.

Charlton Team News
For Lee Bowyer it appears to be a never ending story in terms of injured players… Tuesday night was always going to require a hard battling performance yet it appears four further players may be out of contention for tomorrow.

Of course we always knew that top scorer: Karlan Grant would be out having picked up an early hamstring injury – He could be joined on the side lines by Krystian Bielik and Mark Marshall who themselves picked up slight knocks against Portsmouth – Lyle Taylor completes the list, yet does anyone seriously expect to see the ex-Dons Striker missing a chance to face his old employer?

Steer
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Sarr
Bielik
Aribo | Lapslie
Reeves
Taylor | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Stevenson | Morgan | Fosu | Marshall | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Urgh… South London Derbies!! – For some reason it’s always been an event in the fixture list that Charlton know how NOT to excel at… AFC Wimbledon know how to visit the Valley and get a draw, the one rewarding factor is they no longer have the irritating Lyle Taylor to cause problems for them, yet the sole win for the home side in this fixture shows the result is far from being a foregone conclusion!!

Comments

• Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Scrappy draw 0-0
  • edited December 2018
    Depends entirely on what team we are able to put out and whether those playing with assorted bandages, plasters and unctions are able to perform to their best. Taylor’s fitness will be key. If we can field a half decent fittish 11 I think we’ll win and possibly quite comfortably. If we can’t, we won’t. Simples.
  • Predicting how Wimbledon will go is a difficult one Wally Downes now in charge. Last week they played a 4-4-2 with Wagstaff out on the right, something that they hadn’t done in a while. It seems to me they’ll stick with a 4-4-2 and play two wingers, or they could go a bit more defensive and have a 4-5-1 but with two wingers making it a 4-3-3. They’re going to be up for it but so far they really just don’t score goals, desperately missing Taylor. However, for a team that’s right at the bottom, they don’t concede loads, only 6 more than we have.

I personally really hope that Fosu plays behind the front two of Taylor and Ajose. At home we need someone with pace who can run at defenders as well as we need Ajose to run in behind at every opportunity. Having these three will allow space for other players like Aribo to venture forward as the Wimbledon defence will back off a bit more than if it was Reeves playing and dropping a bit deeper. I do however understand the appeal of having Reeves when Fosu hasn’t been on form this season. I also have got a feeling that Sarr might drop to the bench for this one which will be a real shame, he deserves to keep his place. Taylor will score, not only is it against Wimbledon but he is due a goal. I also hope that we might see Clarke on the bench for the first time in the league this season, it will be 364 days since Blackburn away last season.

Steer
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Solly
    Bielik
    Lapslie Aribo
    Fosu
    Taylor Ajose

Phillips, Sarr, Stevenson, Reeves, Clarke, Marshall, Hackett-Fairchild

Charlton Athletic 3-0 AFC Wimbledon
    Taylor x2
    Bauer
  • Blackpool 72 0 pints clb74 1 pint
  • Comfortable away win.

Charlton 1 - 9 AFC
  • irrespective of injuries and consequent team selection, this should and really MUST be a home win, albeit against a side we find hard to beat ..
    last season I saw us play the Wombles at the Valley when Ricky Holmes scored with a beauty of a free kick from the left, just outside the area .. I don't care if this time round it's 1-0 or 6-0 and I don't care how the goal comes, I just want to see us keep winning and maintain a promotion push.. come on youse Addicksssaaahhh ((:>)

CAFC 1 v Afc Wimbledon 0
  • If Taylor plays 3.1 Charlton
    If he doesn't 2.1 Charlton.
    And a pint for clb74.
  • Not making excuses here but Tuesday was a very tough physical game. The result of which means we have lost Karlan at least and Taylor is a doubt - even if selected he may not be 100 per cent.
    Couple that with the 'new manager' syndrome and the Wombles are going to battle all the way. Hoping we can nick it 1 - 0 but wouldn't be surprised if it ends all square.
  • edited December 2018
    I reckon they will proper piss on our chips the dirty Womble bastards!

0-1
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not expecting to see Grant, Beilik or Marshall. Hopefully Lyle will make it and not crock himself further. This could (finally) be the chance to push Dijksteel into DM if the Pole doesn't make it; it's his best position so play him there rather than square peg Solly. Reeves has to start, but is still not 100% so expect Fosu to get time around the hour mark.

Steer
    Solly
    Sarr
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Dijksteel
    Aribo
    Lapslie
    Reeves
    Taylor
    Ajose

Subs: Phillipps, Stevenson, Sarpong-Wiredu, Morgan, Clarke, Fosu, Hackett-Fairchild.
  • Gonna go for a scrappy 1 - 0 to us , with Taylor scoring against his old club.
  • 2-1 Charlton - Taylor Penalty early doors, Ajose early in the 2nd half and they score with 10 minutes to go so we can lose our fingernails and arseholes :)
  • Dull game 2-1 Charlton
  • The omens are not good: Kettle as referee, our weak injury prone squad and Charlton habit of losing to weak teams just after beating the top teams.

If Lyle cannot play - I suspect we will see some combination Clarke/Fosu as a 10.

A hint to Ajose if he doesn't want to be the scapegoat - look interested and run around like a blue arsed fly.
  • Waggy and the Pig playing are also ominous.
  • I think you’ll see afc be the definition of “came for a point” tomorrow.

0-0 or 3-0 if we score first half hour.
  • 2-1 Charlton - Taylor Penalty early doors, Ajose early in the 2nd half and they score with 10 minutes to go so we can lose our fingernails and arseholes :)

You don't think our netherbits might have sufficient expertise to handle this?
  • I hope we can somehow scrape a win but with the injuries I'm not sure where the goals to win will come from.

We never seem to do well at home against AFC Wimbledon either. A draw if we're lucky I think. More likely a defeat as the likes of The Pig and Waggy stick two fingers up.
  • sm said:

2-1 Charlton - Taylor Penalty early doors, Ajose early in the 2nd half and they score with 10 minutes to go so we can lose our fingernails and arseholes :)

You don't think our netherbits might have sufficient expertise to handle this?
    I'd like to state categorically that I WON'T be handling anyone's netherbits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hopeful of a clean sheet for a change and if Taylor playing 2-0
  • 4 - 2 to Charlton.

On the day we'll be over the place (tired/Injuries/inconsistent) but they are worse.
  • Heartache and despair as Wagstaff and Piggott score late on against the run of play to secure 3 points for the commoners...

• 2-0 win . Pierce and Fosu.
  • Funnily enough (or not funny depending how you look at it), I fancied us more against Pompey than I do against The Wombles.
    Don’t think we’ll lose, but its got a draw written all over it.
    Be highly delighted to be proved wrong of course.
    UP THE ADDICKS!
  • Judging by who the ref is , I predict this might "boil over"!
  • CH4RLTON said:

Judging by who the ref is , I predict this might "boil over"!

One thing is for sure he is whistle happy and loves a red card :wink:
  • Dull game 2-1 Charlton

Yep 2-1 to Charlton.....injuries though are gonna kill us.
  • 2-0 to Charlton.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!