Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Learning a musical instrument when you're older.

Comments

• iainment said:

Thanks all. I think I'll give the guitar a go.

I would recommend it. I'm 63, never played a musical instrument until earlier this year started to learn to play acoustic guitar. Slow at the start but gradually coming along. As long as you are patient and try to carve out some time most days for practice you will gradually see improvement. I have been using the JustinGuitar website which has good Youtube lessons and you can buy songbooks that back them up.

• Whatever you do, don’t try the Tambourine, b’stard to learn. All that shaking and banging on yer head,knees,arse and elbow!

True - but this is a tad more difficult. I wouldn't recommend it as a starter that's for sure.

• iainment said:

I would recommend it. I'm 63, never played a musical instrument until earlier this year started to learn to play acoustic guitar. Slow at the start but gradually coming along. As long as you are patient and try to carve out some time most days for practice you will gradually see improvement. I have been using the JustinGuitar website which has good Youtube lessons and you can buy songbooks that back them up.

We're of an age then! So that's encouraging.
  • iainment said:

Before you do have a look at some of the uke tutorials on line.
  • iainment said:

I don't like the ukelele much so it's not for me really.
  • 25May98 said:

Whatever instrument you chose, the best advice I can give you is this.

5-10 minutes practice per day is far more beneficial than one hour once a week.

A bit like wanking then.

5 to 10 minutes per day? Blimey, would end up with repetitive wrist damage at my age!
  • edited December 2018
    Sod all this musical instrument malarkey!

Get a Harley Davidson, throw a naked women over the petrol ⛽️ tank and ride off into the sunset 🌅 to the sound of Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf!
  • iainment said:

I bob between Justinguitar and Andyguitar, both have very good youtube tutorials and books too. I went with an electric guitar first. Unplugged it's less noisy and irritating for the neighbours when I'm practicing loads of boring chord changes over and over.
  • Missed It said:

iainment said:

I bob between Justinguitar and Andyguitar, both have very good youtube tutorials and books too. I went with an electric guitar first. Unplugged it's less noisy and irritating for the neighbours when I'm practicing loads of boring chord changes over and over.
    Yes, I went for acoustic as I didn't think the neighbours would take too kindly to me playing an electric guitar. Having said that one of them plays the bassoon and has his moments when practising the scales on that!
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

That's a shame, because it's so versatile -and what you learn on a uke is very easily transposed onto the guitar, and vice -versa. And it's much easier to get started on than guitar.

I play both uke and guitar .... and I wouldn't be without either.

BTW ..... don't confuse the tiny high pitched 'soprano' ukuleles with the much larger tenor ukes, with their deeper louder, more guitar like sound.

Anyway, whatever you choose, best of luck!

• Sponsored links:

• addick05 said:

25May98 said:

Whatever instrument you chose, the best advice I can give you is this.

5-10 minutes practice per day is far more beneficial than one hour once a week.

A bit like wanking then.

5 to 10 minutes per day? Blimey, would end up with repetitive wrist damage at my age!
    Actually many a true word said in jest. As an older player, I find that it's best not too play too long in one session if I've not played for a while ..... some warm up exercises are always beneficial, and if you feel any strain or twinges in fingers or wrist, then take a break.

It's particularly important for older beginners.

In any case, as mentioned on here already, short regular sessions of say 20 minutes, will progress you far quicker than long sessions, and without risking strain or injury.

• iainment said:

You might want to look at PartyMarty too, he demonstrates some interesting little twists to the chords. Just been learning Copperhead Road and it's dead easy.

• iainment said:

You might want to look at PartyMarty too, he demonstrates some interesting little twists to the chords. Just been learning Copperhead Road and it's dead easy.

For the more advanced, Dweezil Zappa has some good stuff with chords on youtuube.
  • Oggy Red said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

That's a shame, because it's so versatile -and what you learn on a uke is very easily transposed onto the guitar, and vice -versa. And it's much easier to get started on than guitar.

BTW ..... don't confuse the tiny high pitched 'soprano' ukuleles with the much larger tenor ukes, with their deeper louder, more guitar like sound.

Ok I'll look up some tenor ukes on youtube and listen. I suppose I shouldn't close my mind. Espevially if it's an easier way in.

Thank you everyone for your input, it's really helpful.
  • iainment said:

Oggy Red said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

Ok I'll look up some tenor ukes on youtube and listen. I suppose I shouldn't close my mind. Espevially if it's an easier way in.

Thank you everyone for your input, it's really helpful.
    What could be really useful, Iainment ....... is to get yourself to a proper music shop, wherever you can still find one.

They will have a variety of different instruments that you can actually try out, and get a feel for.
    And very important - you'll then know what sounds good for you, more comfortable to play, etc.

Music shop staff are knowledgeable and invariably musicians themselves.
    They'll let you play or demonstrate the instrument.

And if you've a friend who plays an instrument, take them along with you to the music shop.

• edited January 2019
    Ok so I'm biting the built and switching from guitar (played badly for 17 years) to bass. I would've made the switch sooner but didn't realise short scale basses were a thing (tiny hands you see). Found out a few years ago and ever since then have wanted to pick myself up one but never got round to it.

Just got a cheapo one ordered today - any bassists on here? Got any tips, any good go-to sites or books? I'm not made of money so can't afford any classes :grin:
  • Moheni Dey on YouTube.
    Right up your street i should think.
  • Moheni Dey on YouTube.

Thanks Baldy! 21, she looks 12!
  • EastStand said:

Moheni Dey on YouTube.

Thanks Baldy! 21, she looks 12!
    Good though. The whole family play.
  • EastStand said:

Ok so I'm biting the built and switching from guitar (played badly for 17 years) to bass. I would've made the switch sooner but didn't realise short scale basses were a thing (tiny hands you see). Found out a few years ago and ever since then have wanted to pick myself up one but never got round to it.

Just got a cheapo one ordered today - any bassists on here? Got any tips, any good go-to sites or books? I'm not made of money so can't afford any classes :grin:

I started bass with songs by The Police. Fairly simple to play but still lots of good tunes like Walking on the Moon or Driven to Tears. Plenty of 'how to' videos on youtube
  • Sponsored links:

• for all you older geetar learners, here's some tips from a very old geetar hero .. 
    https://youtu.be/D7gMwE7phoM
    https://youtu.be/kM9rpQO7JBQ
  • How are you getting on @eaststandmike and @iainment - when do we get to see your first YouTube videos? 
  • I've got a Stylophone somewhere. 
  • iainment said:
    Electric guitar. no more to be said!
    I'm not sure about that. I was thinking mandolin or accoustic/spanish guitar.
    Mandolin is lovely if you have the fingers to fit - I used to play but find it just too cramped now.

Spanish guitar (do you mean classical?) also requires a very high level of dexterity and flexibility in the fingers, wrists and shoulders or you could be in for some extreme discomfort.  You might want to consider mandocello or octave mandolin rather than mando and ragtime or fingerstyle parlour guitar (steel strung and good for picking) rather than Spanish.
  • edited July 2019
    ...also 5 string banjo needn't be redneck..

https://youtu.be/IRpdfz_MLdo

• For sure, having fun and wanting to pick up the instrument again is the main aim.
    Strangely though, I would like to suggest the one thing most of us are running away from, and that is music theory.
    Not only it is fascinating, it also provide you with tools to generalize your knowledge (i.e transpose keys, recognise progressions, options for harmonic substitutions etc')

Very soon you will find that you're studying 'music', rather than an instrument, and you will find yourself listening differently.

Try it with a flesh and blood teacher.

But whatever works for you...

• edited July 2019
    I’m teaching the mrs to trombone she a natural at it, think she’s been practicing behind my back.....
  • iainment said:
    Electric guitar. no more to be said!
    I'm not sure about that. I was thinking mandolin or accoustic/spanish guitar.

Cabron

Red hot chilli peppers

I play that (not very well as Spanish music is very different)

But start off with that one. Great song 
  • My ukulele is on its way and should arrive before my birthday on Sunday. I don’t think my neighbours are as excited as me.