Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Strange ways you have heard about the result/score

Quite a few mentions in the post-match thread about our 3-0 cup win at Pompey in '76. I didn't go, but back then 1) the cup really mattered and 2) media coverage of Charlton was non-existent, especially midweek. So, not for the first time, the only way i could think of getting a score update was to phone the ground. The phone number would have been in the Rothman's Football Year Book, and so at some point in the second half (I think) I called in. Got an answer pretty promptly as I recall, and a somewhat fed-up lady informed me that it was "two-nil to Charlton".

Comments

• I watched a Millwall away game in '89 on teletext in an Amsterdam coffee shop.

We were 2 0 up with a couple of minutes to go so began celebrating and getting (even more) wankered.

Naturally, we fucked it up, let in 2 very late goals and it ended up 2 2. I didn't find out until about half an hour after the game had ended though.
  • I used to see most weekday football scores at the end of the 9 o'clock news on BBC1 back in the seventies and early eighties; if they didn't show the results (and sometimes they didn't...) then I had to wait until the end of the ITV News at Ten to get the scores. One Tuesday I was very surprised to see on BBC that Charlton had won 2-0 at Blackburn and I hadn't even known that they were playing.
  • edited December 2018
    When we beat Southampton 5-0 in 1998, I was on Holiday in Zante. I walked in to a bar with my Charlton shirt on at about 10pm. A Sunderland supporter was in there and the conversation went like this.... (bear in mind we had beaten them in the playoff final 2 games before).

Him - “you boys did well today”
    Me - “I don’t know the score, what was it?
    Him - “you won 5-0, Mendonca got another hat trick)
    Me - “Good one mate, no need to take the piss”

I thought nothing more of it, particularly as I’d had a skinful.

Next morning, I got hold of an English newspaper, fully expecting to read about a 0-1 defeat....
  • Isn't it amazing how things have changed.

Last night I watched live on IFollow (eventually, what a performance trying to get that on) with the Valley Pass commentary synched in and with Charlton Life on my phone!

A far cry from the early 1970s when Radio London had the revolutionary idea to have live updates from a game and Peter Burrowes would come on a few times during the game with the latest score! Before that, it was wait for the results to come through on the teleprinter on a Saturday afternoon or as Pedro says above, wait for the scores on the news in midweek.

Must all seem a lifetime away for the young 'uns on here!
  • I can remember tuning into radio Luxembourg on a weekday evening. After the 10 o'clock news. Found out we lost 5-1 at Man utd in a midweek league cup game.
  • I can remember tuning into radio Luxembourg on a weekday evening. After the 10 o'clock news. Found out we lost 5-1 at Man utd in a midweek league cup game.

Always better doing it with both hands.
  • My brother is many years younger than me and I can remember my late mother complaining to me (ironically on the phone as I'd long left home) about the astronomic phone bill he'd run up because he kept calling 'Charlton Club Call' when it was an 0898 number and dear old Peter Burrowes would say his piece.
  • I watched us beat Coventry in the FA Cup 3-2 (i think).
    Managed to find the game on in the back of some wooden shack cafe type place in Malaysia.
    Complete middle of nowhere.
    If my memory serves me well, we were two down.
    The locals were well impressed.
    Had all the kids playing football the next day.
    The bigger lads were Charlton, whilst the smaller were Millwall.
    Took them all for Ice Cream afterwards.
    Families were very grateful and held a type of party that evening for us.
    Great memories.
    Around 1991 I guess?
    Managed to find the game on in the back of some wooden shack cafe type place in Malaysia.
    Great memories.
    Around 1991 I guess?

2000 I think that game was? Robinson, Newton and Hunt scored.
    Great memories.
    Around 1991 I guess?

1 of my first (and still one on my favourite) away games.
    We were 2-0 down and came back to win 3-2 but it was 2000, not 1991.
  • Sponsored links:

Great memories.
    Around 1991 I guess?

Was at the game. Locals were giving it large when they were 2-0 up... not so loud at the end though! If my memory serves me, Coventry were relegated at the end of the season after having been in the top flight for a number of years?

• addick05 said:

I watched us beat Coventry in the FA Cup 3-2 (i think).
    Great memories.
    Around 1991 I guess?

Was at the game. Locals were giving it large when they were 2-0 up... not so loud at the end though! If my memory serves me, Coventry were relegated at the end of the season after having been in the top flight for a number of years?

Coventry were relegated the following season.
    It was the 5th round of the cup and I remember the beam back for the next round (1/4 final @ Bolton?)
  • I was at that beam back.
  • My dozy brother on a bus, he left Wembly when we were 4 - 3 down and watched last couple of penalties in a boozer.
  • My brother went to Newcastle away a good few years ago, which is why I was surprised when he phoned me to ask for the result. It seems he'd left his phone on his train seat, jumped back on to get it, the doors shut, next stop Edinburgh!
  • From the horse's mouth.
    Years ago at Butlins on a boys jolly. Think we were away to Norwich and losing 1-0 with a couple of minutes to go. Walked out of the chalet pissed off and headed the bar.
    Later that evening I see Tony Barness, who'd played in the game, having a serious sesh with his pals.
    Walked over to say hello and give him a bit of a stinging when he duly tells me we won 2-1 with 2 in the last minute.
    Bought the fella a drink and joined in for a bit. Good lad is Tony
    Great memories.
    Around 1991 I guess?

That's it.
    Met my wife and mentioned I wanted a final month blow out abroad before she moved in and my travelling ended. Daughter 17 now, so it ties in well.
    Trust me, the locals all remembered Charlton after that game.
    Clubs would do well to remember stories like this when opting to put out their second string.
  • addick05 said:

I watched us beat Coventry in the FA Cup 3-2 (i think).
    Great memories.
    Around 1991 I guess?

Coventry were relegated the following season.
    It was the 5th round of the cup and I remember the beam back for the next round (1/4 final @ Bolton?)
    Cheers for that. I also went to the Bolton game. We didn't play well and lost 1-0 but I remember Johnny Robinson had a good chance to level late on. The following week we played them again in the league and beat them.