Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Portsmouth v Charlton | Tue 11 December 2018

Here we go then & apologies to the Gaffer :-)

Lee Bowyer has made three changes to his starting XI for Charlton’s clash at league-leaders Portsmouth.

The Addicks have won four of their last five league games while Pompey have tasted victory in their last eight matches in all competitions and Bowyer has restored Naby Sarr, Anfernee Dijksteel and Ben Reeves to his starting XI.

The team news in full sees Jed Steer start in goal and he will be protected by reinstated full-backs Sarr and Dijksteel and centre-halves Patrick Bauer and Jason Pearce.

Krystian Bielik, Joe Aribo, George Lapslie and Reeves make up a midfield quartet and, up front, Lyle Taylor and Karlan Grant lead the line.

Charlton supporters unable to attend Tuesday night’s game can listen to live audio commentary on Valley Pass. To sign up for Valley Pass, please click here.

Comments

• Options

Solly rested from the League game , saving him for the Cup

Well its time to see if he's been justifying his place in the team
  • Options
    Are you able to be online, Ross1 ?

Are you able to put up the Twitter updates at all?

• Options
    Hopefully Reeves is playing further forward than the rest of the Midfield in that Ward / Fosu type role, have been wanting to see that for a while this season
  • Options
    Bowyer influenced by the anti Solly brigade on CL to drop him :disappointed:
  • Options
    He said on pre-match thread no, computer issues.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Bielik as holding midfielder.

Remember when Powell dropped Solly to deal with a long ball team at Stevenage? That went well!

Stick by my Curbseque 0-0 prediction but happy if we nick it with a late Reeco winner

Up the Addicks
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I am not sure if I can borrow this laptop much longer, and do not want to start and then cut off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

Oggy Red said:

I am not sure if I can borrow this laptop much longer, and do not want to start and then cut off
    Fair enough, Ross1.

Anyone else able to step forward and do the Twitter & BBC site updates, pls?

• Options

3-1 Charlton 45/1

Sell ya wife, pawn your gold, this is returns of Two Sheds proportions

Oi, where've you been, Gaffer?

We've had to get the show on the road without you. :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Bowyer said pre-match that Pompey are big side.

He's named 4 big defenders across the backline.

Iron Willy, Bielik, Bauer, Pearce, Sarr, Aribo, Taylor. No shortage of size or physicality in our team either, to be fair.
  • Options
    Although I've backed us 4+ goals
    Nil points tonight with that team
  • Options
    no Solly is a big surprise .. we will see .. as @Oggy Red types, Bowyer's gone for big defenders plus Bielik .. a pragmatic line up, not too attacking .. as I typed earlier, I think we all will be reasonably happy (as will Bowyer) with a point and NOT to concede in the last few minutes .. come on You Addicksaahh
  • Options
    Diamond formation again. Will be interesting to see how Reeves does more advanced- supposedly his natural position but he’s rarely played there. Certainly Fosu has not looked comfy there so a logical change.

Or is Bowyer getting a touch of the Robinson’s and getting pigeon holed in terms of his preferred formation. Are there shapes that better fit the available players?
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Diamond formation again. Will be interesting to see how Reeves does more advanced- supposedly his natural position but he’s rarely played there. Certainly Fosu has not looked comfy there so a logical change.

Or is Bowyer getting a touch of the Robinson’s and getting pigeon holed in terms of his preferred formation. Are there shapes that better fit the available players?

Marshall can't be far away from a recall however don't see Bowyer switching to a 4-4-2 to accommodate him which is a shame because had he done that on Saturday we might not have got done so easily for their winner.
  • Options

Bowyer likes to play a diamond because he feels it gives us an 'extra' player sitting in the hole as a fulcrum behind the front two.

But as we've all seen, it does leave our fullbacks often exposed.

One of Pompey's strengths is their wing play and putting a steady stream of crosses into the box.
    I'm not sure how he would expect to counter that, playing a diamond formation. Unless it's a flat 4-4-2 .... but then surely he'd start Fosu wide?

• Options
    For those wanting to listen to commentary on the wireless tonight:

Not at Fratton Park tonight? Valley Pass's live audio commentary will be going live any minute now 👇
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets[stream-amg][content_id]=0_1v7o2ajg … #cafc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone got coverage on IFollow yet?
  • Options
    Am in on ifollow.

Reset browser if not working

Google it if you don’t know how. Couple of clicks will do it
  • Options

KICK-OFF | 1' We are off and underway at Fratton Park...

• Options

2' The Addicks win the first corner of the evening...
  • Options
    2' Taylor flicks on at the near post, but the keeper makes the catch.
  • Options
    Aribo needs to wake up... already been caught on the ball twice
  • Options

BBC seem to have forgotten that there's a game on tonight - no match page, teams, stats or updates.
  • Options
    7' Good work from Grant to tee up Reeves, but he fires well over from just outside the box.
  • Options
    Tick tock
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!