Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackpool v Charlton- Post Match Views

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2018

Liverpool used to win the League and or a cup most years (often the European Cup) using only 14/15 players. There is no point in resting anyone from our squad as the replacements aren't up to it. Mid table finish if we are lucky.
    Another season of Roland next time around and it will be League 2 beckoning.

You're right that the replacements aren't up to it.
    That is why Bowyer protected the remaining first team members from getting even more injuries by not playing them.

(8 Injured/still not match fit for Doncaster were - Forster-Caskey, Cullen, Clarke, Page, Reeves, Vetokele, Ward and Pratley).
  • Options

Liverpool used to win the League and or a cup most years (often the European Cup) using only 14/15 players. There is no point in resting anyone from our squad as the replacements aren't up to it. Mid table finish if we are lucky.

That is why Bowyer protected the remaining first team members from getting even more injuries by not playing them.

(8 Injured/still not match fit for Doncaster were - Forster-Caskey, Cullen, Clarke, Page, Reeves, Vetokele, Ward and Pratley).
    All posts like this do is, again, highlight that there must be something wrong in the way
    our club trains and does conditioning, or in the medical team

Bar the odd season long injury (JFC) and the dislocated shoulders, why do you have so many niggles and why do they all keep people out for so long?
  • Options
    I think it proves we "sign" a fair few injury prone players because we're only after "frees".
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Also Bowyer in a recent interview said he likes his players to give their all in training because that's how he used to train and that it's difficult holding back and then trying to up your commitment on a match day..............hmmm.
  • Options
    And feedback on the home "fans" from those that travelled up ?
  • Options

So in your view actually playing two players who were not match fit was a good idea too?
  • Options

Just the 1 or 2 midfielders then
  • Options

And feedback on the home "fans" from those that travelled up ?

Quiet, as you'd expect. Few of us were very impressed with the level of boycott you're doing.
  • Options

Croydon said:

Just waiting at Blackpool North for the one train an hour that takes us to Preston.

That first half is up there with the worst performances I've seen from a Charlton side. There couldn't have been any arguments if we'd gone into the break 3-0 down. Second half we improved, and looked threatening for the 15 mins or so after Aribo's equaliser, but we didn't take our chances and we continued to look weak at the back throughout.

Not sure what Bielik was doing for their winner, but overall the team today wasn't good enough and it makes a total mockery of Bowyer's team selection last week.

I'll be at Pompey on Tuesday but I fear what'll happen if we turn up as half arsed as we did for the first half hour today.

Good atmosphere from our fans today, and a few of us were commenting on how impressive Blackpool's boycott is. Nice people up here so I hope Oyston fucks off soon so they can back to watching their club.

Wasn't it Pearce that the attacker ran past to score ?? Very poor defending imo. Didn't look over his shoulder & spot the run & then didnt stop the ball going past him. Sunday league players are better than that.

Reeves, who hadn't been on 15 minutes, didn't track him and in fact slowed right down as their goalscorer sprinted forward.

Reeves has been a massive massive disappointment.
    Reeves was out injured for a while and not yet match fit.

Bowyer said just that after the Donny cup match .... he said he'd learned from that match Reeves wasn't ready to start.

He also said that "Reeves was the clever one in the middle of the park".

Evidently he's highly thought of by Bowyer, but quite possibly wouldn't have been thrown on against Blackpool but for the long injury list.

Unless Lapslie was subbed because of a niggle, he'd no doubt have played the full 90 minutes except that he's going to be needed to start again on Tuesday night v Pompey.

Yet I'm pretty sure Bowyer hadn't expected to have to rely on Lapslie so often this season.
    It must be a bit of mare for Bowyer trying to put out an effective team, when apart from the long injury list, he's having to use some players who are not match fit or risk being overplayed.

• Options
    He could have put Djiksteel on instead of Reeves @Oggy Red which would have been my preference to see the game out, if Lapslie had to come off. Perhaps Bowyer thought Reeves would help get us the three points, personally I'd have settled for the one point we had and never looked like getting after the first half showing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    addick05 said:

Oggy Red said:

addick05 said:

Oh well, we lost.
    Players looked a big leggy at the end.
    Doncaster won.
    Amateurish decision from an amateurish club with a fanbase with little ambition.
    Roll on Tuesday for another leggy performance and no doubt another loss.

Sad times.
    Well done Lee.

"A bit leggy"? Bugger me most if them haven't played since the Armistice was signed!
    You mean, since 1918 ??

Probably a bit of an exaggeration - was thinking more or less since the 100th commemoration.

That's not what you said though ...... (quote) "Bugger me most if them haven't played since the Armistice was signed!" :smile:

PS: Sorry, I sound like Henry!

• Options
    RedChaser said:

He could have put Djiksteel on instead of Reeves @Oggy Red which would have been my preference to see the game out, if Lapslie had to come off. Perhaps Bowyer thought Reeves would help get us the three points, personally I'd have settled for the one point we had and never looked like getting after the first half showing.

I agree with you a fully fit Dijksteel coming on "to see the game out", Mr Chaser.
    If you are going to settle for a point, that's probably the right thing to do.

But Charlton were in the ascendancy at the time of Lapslie being subbed.

No doubt in my mind that Bowyer was chasing the 3 points by putting Reeves on - thinking that Reeves being a creative player was capable of unlocking their defence, much like that Blackpool brilliant killer ball that wrongfooted Pearce for their late winner.

Bowyer always says that he goes for the 3 points. He gambles that we'll get the win, that a win is worth 3 draws and that occasionally it'll backfire.

• Options
    To go on a run you have to win games well - you will get the odd lucky result of course, but you will also comfortably win a lot of games through the run. If you look at our previous two games before Blackpool, you could see a run was not going to continue too far. We were fortunate to win those games and fortune works both ways. Yes we could have drawn or even won on Saturday, but luck falls both ways and we are a bit too reliant on luck to have any chance of an automatic slot.
  • Options

To go on a run you have to win games well - you will get the odd lucky result of course, but you will also comfortably win a lot of games through the run. If you look at our previous two games before Blackpool, you could see a run was not going to continue too far. We were fortunate to win those games and fortune works both ways. Yes we could have drawn or even won on Saturday, but luck falls both ways and we are a bit too reliant on luck to have any chance of an automatic slot.

I don't believe that Bowyer is reliant on luck to win games.
    Even with an injury hit side, he's still setting his stall out to win.

With the lengthy injury list he's played a young inexperienced midfield 4 during the last few games, because he feels that's all he's got at the moment. That midfield is going through periods of not dominating games but Bowyer will think all the while Taylor and Grant carry a threat, he's got a chance of nicking a goal and 3 points.

Blackpool nicked a late winner, with a great run off the ball to be on the end of a killer pass.
    That's how it's done. To my mind, that's exactly Bowyer's way of thinking .... if we can't dominate a game, we'll mug them off and get the 3 points in any way we can.

Against Burton, he gambled and won.
    The Blackpool game, he gambled and lost.

He'll be as disappointed as you are - but compared to the non-guarantee of playing for a point,
    he'll perhaps think that he's got 3 points in the bag, compared to picking up just 2 points in 2 away games by settling for draws.
  • Options
    Every team relies on luck - it is about the degree of luck you need. At the moment, we require too much of it to even have a sniff of the automatics. It isn't about Bowyer relying on it or not, it is just what it is.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

So in your view actually playing two players who were not match fit was a good idea too?
    Clarke and Reeves played to try and improve their lack of match fitness, which I agree with.
    Give them a run out in the cup.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

We’re going to turn Pompey over.

Keep the faith peeps

It's not like you to be so cheerful, Gaffer.

I'd marked you down as another Golfie.

Thanks for the abuse flag, Golfie.

Just like I get my leg pulled on Charlton Life for my 'rose tinted-specs' outlook,
    you're legendary on here for your pessimistic outlook.

Didn't realise you were such a sensitive soul.
    I'd best apologise then.

• Options
    Kevin Nolan's verdict on the match
    If the point of the wholesale changes was to prioritise league over cup, it’s fairly obvious that the point was missed. For nearly a disastrous half hour, supposedly refreshed Charlton were dismal.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/kevin-nolans-big-match-verdict-as-charltons-decision-to-rest-players-for-fa-cup-does-not-have-instant-result/
  • Options
    "In wild and woolly conditions whistling over uninvited from “that dear land across the Irish Sea” but considered clement by locals in this weatherbeaten stretch of England’s North East coast, Charlton’s promotion credentials were severely tested and found wanting by fellow contenders Blackpool."

North East coast, Kevin? It wasn't only Charlton who got lost on Saturday, then? :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

"In wild and woolly conditions whistling over uninvited from “that dear land across the Irish Sea” but considered clement by locals in this weatherbeaten stretch of England’s North East coast, Charlton’s promotion credentials were severely tested and found wanting by fellow contenders Blackpool."

North East coast, Kevin? It wasn't only Charlton who got lost on Saturday, then? :smile:

You can say that one again...

...Ad moreover we have to do it again at Fleetwood again on Saturday nd Februar 2019. :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Oggy Red said:

two weeks ago he was in Staffordshire and thought he was in Nottinghamshire .. location location location .. he might be poor at geography but writes a good sports report .. I've noticed on here that when Nolan writes an article praising CAFC there is a lot of praise for him, when the report is more critical, there is a deafening silence ((:>)

And I agree totally with his analysis of the decision to 'rest' players v Donny in the cup. He is dead on the money re our slow starts .. maybe a bit more exercise and game time for our first stringers to get the blood flowing quicker could be the answer
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

two weeks ago he was in Staffordshire and thought he was in Nottinghamshire .. location location location .. he might be poor at geography but writes a good sports report .. I've noticed on here that when Nolan writes an article praising CAFC there is a lot of praise for him, when the report is more critical, there is a deafening silence ((:>)
    Always a good read from Kevin Nolan.

I remember his Charlton articles and reports that he wrote years ago in the Mercury.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

And Bristol Rovers playing at Eastville? Not for decades, Kev. But he nails the League v Cup debate perfectly.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I heard he got a lift from Iain Dowie to the game :wink:
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

We’re going to turn Pompey over.

Keep the faith peeps

It's not like you to be so cheerful, Gaffer.

I'd marked you down as another Golfie.

Thanks for the abuse flag, Golfie.

Just like I get my leg pulled on Charlton Life for my 'rose tinted-specs' outlook,
    you're legendary on here for your pessimistic outlook.

Didn't realise you were such a sensitive soul.
    I'd best apologise then.

I’m the one who should have been offended! Lol