Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackpool v Charlton- Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Truth is we’re a slightly above average league one team. The results and League table confirm it. Can we go up..yes. Will we go up probably no. Unless we get a change of ownership and find someone who want to progress us, all I can see is more of the same for a very long time.

Truth is we've lost too many key players to injury over the course of this season - and haven't the squad resources to replace them effectively.

I doubt Bowyer expected to use Lapslie so much. Or even give Toby Stevenson a game.

It's a long old season. No way can anyone predict right now how it will end.
    Let's see where we are at the end of January ...... after results of the festive period, players returning from injury and transfer activity, etc.

That'll give us a better picture of where we're really at - and whether we'll be able to finish strongly like we did last season.

He even said at the start of the season that Lapslie / Morgan / Maloney had great pre-seasons but didnt want to have to use them
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

People can say what they like but the facts speak for themselves

Blackpool had 9 players who started today starting in the FA Cup

We had 2.

If we played a full strength team last week would we have won today maybe not, would we have won last week again maybe not, but resting players last week did not help today either.

People have been saying all week 4 points from Blackpool and Portsmouth and Bowyers decision would be justified, well thats now impossible

Good luck with being a professional football manager, Paulie.

Bowyer said that he made his decisions on the fact that we had 2 tough away games in 3 days.

He's got 7 players injured plus those carrying niggles that he's worried might not be able to play 2 games in 3 days. If there was no Tuesday game this week, he may well have thought a little differently.

He further said that we're scheduled to play 8 games in 4 weeks and any further injuries will decimate what's left of his small squad.

Bowyer was looking at the big picture of how to manage his squad over the intense festive period.
    He won't be happy that we lost today, but it ain't the end of the world halfway through a 46 game season.

That is rubbish

If there was a midweek game last week it would make sense but there wasnt.

Players can play
    Saturday then Saturday they do it every week, every team have niggles, I am sure Donny do but they still put out a decent squad in both games.

I still want to know the point in putting a proper squad out in replay just to rest them for the 2nd round.

As I said if we played last Tuesday it would have made sense, but pro players can manage Saturday-Saturday-Tuesday if they cant then u need to look at your fitness coach
    Can they play Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday - Tuesday EVERY week for the whole season if not injured? - Can they really?
    But it wasnt was it

It was Saturday-Saturday-Tuesday

There was a 6 day rest in between games, Bowyer could have changed training if he was worried about fitness, given them an extra day offf.

Now we have lost there is nothing anyway can say that would make me think resting players last week was a good decision

Oggy Red said:

People can say what they like but the facts speak for themselves

Blackpool had 9 players who started today starting in the FA Cup

We had 2.

If we played a full strength team last week would we have won today maybe not, would we have won last week again maybe not, but resting players last week did not help today either.

People have been saying all week 4 points from Blackpool and Portsmouth and Bowyers decision would be justified, well thats now impossible

Good luck with being a professional football manager, Paulie.

Bowyer said that he made his decisions on the fact that we had 2 tough away games in 3 days.

He's got 7 players injured plus those carrying niggles that he's worried might not be able to play 2 games in 3 days. If there was no Tuesday game this week, he may well have thought a little differently.

He further said that we're scheduled to play 8 games in 4 weeks and any further injuries will decimate what's left of his small squad.

Bowyer was looking at the big picture of how to manage his squad over the intense festive period.
    He won't be happy that we lost today, but it ain't the end of the world halfway through a 46 game season.

That is rubbish

If there was a midweek game last week it would make sense but there wasnt.

Players can play
    Saturday then Saturday they do it every week, every team have niggles, I am sure Donny do but they still put out a decent squad in both games.

I still want to know the point in putting a proper squad out in replay just to rest them for the 2nd round.

As I said if we played last Tuesday it would have made sense, but pro players can manage Saturday-Saturday-Tuesday if they cant then u need to look at your fitness coach
    Can they play Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday - Tuesday EVERY week for the whole season if not injured? - Can they really?
    But it wasnt was it

It was Saturday-Saturday-Tuesday

There was a 6 day rest in between games, Bowyer could have changed training if he was worried about fitness, given them an extra day offf.

Now we have lost there is nothing anyway can say that would make me think resting players last week was a good decision
    Aaaaaaaagh!

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Truth is we’re a slightly above average league one team. The results and League table confirm it. Can we go up..yes. Will we go up probably no. Unless we get a change of ownership and find someone who want to progress us, all I can see is more of the same for a very long time.

Truth is we've lost too many key players to injury over the course of this season - and haven't the squad resources to replace them effectively.

I doubt Bowyer expected to use Lapslie so much. Or even give Toby Stevenson a game.

It's a long old season. No way can anyone predict right now how it will end.
    Let's see where we are at the end of January ...... after results of the festive period, players returning from injury and transfer activity, etc.

That'll give us a better picture of where we're really at - and whether we'll be able to finish strongly like we did last season.

He even said at the start of the season that Lapslie / Morgan / Maloney had great pre-seasons but didnt want to have to use them
    Exactly.

• Options

Slipped to 7th now, 7 points off automatic and we'll drop to 8th if we lose heavily on Tuesday.

If Pompey beat us we will be SIXTEEN points off top after 21 games!!

And seven off second place, which is what matters - if we lose.
  • Options

We’re going to turn Pompey over.

Keep the faith peeps

It's not like you to be so cheerful, Gaffer.

I'd marked you down as another Golfie.

• Options
    Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Those not liking the “I told you so” posts regarding the cup forfeit.

It is completely relevant to this match, he’s learned the hard way that you keep the momentum going, rather than extended rest.

We beat donny and Taylor and Fosu score their tails are up for the next game, winning breeds winning.

Not changed my opinion bowyer still doing a brilliant job, he’s just had an absolute avoidable mare last 7 days.

It’s not that simple is it? If it was managers would never rest players when on a good run. It was more about reducing the risk of further injuries.

The midfield today we started with today isn’t good enough for a promotion challenge. That was the main reason we lost.

Today’s line up couldn’t be stronger by playing an extra cup game. It could only get weaker had we picked up more injuries.

Cullen, Reeves and Ward all start if fully fit, it was far from our first choice midfield.
    I disagree I think it is that simple, results business n all that.

For the record had we won today I’d of praised bowyers decision.
    So if we had lost the cup game with our strongest available team and Taylor got injured for the rest of the season would that be the right decision?

If it was such an easy decision he’ll never rest players in a cup game again. I bet he does again next season.
    Players get injuries mate, but wins should be a bigger priority. Doncaster proved bowyer wrong, two wins from two, two strong teams played the stats don’t lie.
    Wins in the league are Bowyers priority. He made the choice to avoid the risk of picking up more injuries in a cup game.

We’re not Doncaster, maybe they’ve had less injury problems this season. They’re probably not having to play a midfield with an average age of about 20.
    The voice of reason.

Thank you, Scoham.

• Options
    Tuesday isn’t anything like a “must win game”, we’re nowhere near that point but it does give us a chance to undo the damage of today.

Wasn’t at the match but we now move into a period where we play 6 games in three weeks, our squad will be very important and it would be good to get some of these players back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

It is completely relevant to this match, he’s learned the hard way that you keep the momentum going, rather than extended rest.

We beat donny and Taylor and Fosu score their tails are up for the next game, winning breeds winning.

Not changed my opinion bowyer still doing a brilliant job, he’s just had an absolute avoidable mare last 7 days.

It’s not that simple is it? If it was managers would never rest players when on a good run. It was more about reducing the risk of further injuries.

The midfield today we started with today isn’t good enough for a promotion challenge. That was the main reason we lost.

Today’s line up couldn’t be stronger by playing an extra cup game. It could only get weaker had we picked up more injuries.

Cullen, Reeves and Ward all start if fully fit, it was far from our first choice midfield.

So if we had lost the cup game with our strongest available team and Taylor got injured for the rest of the season would that be the right decision?

If it was such an easy decision he’ll never rest players in a cup game again. I bet he does again next season.
    Players get injuries mate, but wins should be a bigger priority. Doncaster proved bowyer wrong, two wins from two, two strong teams played the stats don’t lie.
    Wins in the league are Bowyers priority. He made the choice to avoid the risk of picking up more injuries in a cup game.

We’re not Doncaster, maybe they’ve had less injury problems this season. They’re probably not having to play a midfield with an average age of about 20.
    Going round in circles.

WE DIDNT WIN.

As I said, if we did, I would take your point, it’s a results business, wins are the thing that decides if something was a good or bad decision. What’s not to understand here.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

The voice of reason.

Thank you, Scoham.

In your opinion.. which looks like a bad one.. cos we lost.. wins are more important than avoiding injury...
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scary thought that Doncaster are better equipped than us this season. Not one i would have thought possible a few years ago.
    Really? Roland’s still here, we know there are clubs with more settled and balanced squads that don’t rebuild every summer. We knew we’d pick up injuries and play too many youngsters at times throughout the season.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scary thought that Doncaster are better equipped than us this season. Not one i would have thought possible a few years ago.
    Or maybe they are not so injury hit - and generally have been able to play more or less their first choice 1st XI?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Scoham said:

shirty5 said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Really? Roland’s still here, we know there are clubs with more settled and balanced squads that don’t rebuild every summer. We knew we’d pick up injuries and play too many youngsters at times throughout the season.
    Oggy Red said:

shirty5 said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Or maybe they are not so injury hit - and generally have been able to play more or less their first choice 1st XI?

Everyone down the pub for a pint of old Rosie and wait for this to blow over.
  • Options
    Result I expected. We are fielding an 11 without at least four absolute first choices. A few are returning from injury and not sharp. At least one hasn’t kicked a ball properly this season having been mustard last. We have the spectre of Roland without the expectation of a sale. We’ve been poor and getting away with it for weeks. Apart from that............

We are doing ok despite all of the above. On our day we are very good but in general terms we are no better than top half of the middle in this league. We are where I hoped we would be at this stage all things considered. If we ever get a break (sorry) with injuries then we just need to hang on in there but it’s going to be a season of good runs and bad runs. We’ll get a thumping on Tuesday but we need to regroup next weekend and win our home game. No bed wetting from me. An expected if unfortunate loss.

My one big worry apart from all the excuses is we just cannot keep in conceding late goals. We are very brittle.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

The voice of reason.

Thank you, Scoham.

In your opinion.. which looks like a bad one.. cos we lost.. wins are more important than avoiding injury...
    That’s not what many were saying when Robinson played Fosu in the Checkatrade and he got injured.

League wins are the most important thing.

Both momentum or keeping players fit can increase the chances of that. Bowyer chose the second option, another time he might choose the first.

The best choice could be either depending on the situation at the time.
  • Options

Oh well, we lost.
    Players looked a big leggy at the end.
    Doncaster won.
    Amateurish decision from an amateurish club with a fanbase with little ambition.
    Roll on Tuesday for another leggy performance and no doubt another loss.

Sad times.
    Well done Lee.

"A bit leggy"? Bugger me most if them haven't played since the Armistice was signed!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

The voice of reason.

Thank you, Scoham.

That’s not what many were saying when Robinson played Fosu in the Checkatrade and he got injured.

Both momentum or keeping players fit can increase the chances of that. Bowyer chose the second option, another time he might choose the first.

Checkertrade trophy is different clearly, I would say I was busy if asked to do a job ffs.

You’re spot on league wins most important, which we didn’t do, hence why it’s turned out that bowyer has had a stinker last seven days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We’re going to turn Pompey over.

Keep the faith peeps

And if not at least we can blame Bowyer for picking the wrong team for the FA Cup :smile:
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Oh well, we lost.
    Players looked a big leggy at the end.
    Doncaster won.
    Amateurish decision from an amateurish club with a fanbase with little ambition.
    Roll on Tuesday for another leggy performance and no doubt another loss.

Sad times.
    Well done Lee.

"A bit leggy"? Bugger me most if them haven't played since the Armistice was signed!
    You mean, since 1918 ??

• Options
    Charlton lose in cold, windy, rainy Norf West in Winter.

Tell me something we don’t know. We’ve been doing that my whole life!
  • Options

Scoham said:

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

The voice of reason.

Thank you, Scoham.

Checkertrade trophy is different clearly, I would say I was busy if asked to do a job ffs.

You’re spot on league wins most important, which we didn’t do, hence why it’s turned out that bowyer has had a stinker last seven days.
    Yet we're not going to win every game regardless of it being the League or Cup...
  • Options

Charlton lose in cold, windy, rainy Norf West in Winter.

Tell me something we don’t know. We’ve been doing that my whole life!

I knew we could turn to you for inspiration!

• Options

Scoham said:

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

The voice of reason.

Thank you, Scoham.

Checkatrade could be a great chance to carry on the momentum though...

I think today was down to having to play a young midfield of inconsistent players more than what happened last weekend. Those four wouldn’t win any team promotion from this league. Good individually but Cullen especially makes a huge difference.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

PWR

At the game today, we couldn’t get out of or half in the first half. Second half was much better but we were sepseptable at the back, to lose the way we did when we were so on top in second half was harsh. But overall not good enough, luck run out today, looked very ordinary.

How were the strippers?