Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

French games postponed

I noticed
Monaco v Nice
Or
Henry v Vieira

Was postponed due to safety concerns last night, so I just assumed weather was bad in France or something then I noticed more games off today

PSG v Montpellier
Angers V Bordeaux
Nimes v Nantes
Toulouse v Lyon

Then on Sunday
St Etienne v Marseille also off

So only 4 games are still on in the top French League

So I looked into it and it appears there are fears of further violent "yellow vest" protests in France over rising living costs.

Comments

• Options
    Any people on here live in France, what is it like over there ATM.

Dont watch the news ever so had no idea about these protests, but they must be bad to have stopped 6 top flight games
  • Options
    Could be interesting today.

90,000 Police supposedly 'on duty' to control/tear gas/water cannon the 'gilets jaunes', so none available to carry out their normal domestic duties - hence the postponements.

Lots of rumours floating around that at least some of the Police Nationale will remove their helmets in solidarity with the protestors - though don't expect the same from the Gendarmarie or the CRS.
  • Options
    Paris based friend has basically been told to stay inside. Even their gym is staying closed for the weekend
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Could be interesting today.

90,000 Police supposedly 'on duty' to control/tear gas/water cannon the 'gilets jaunes', so none available to carry out their normal domestic duties - hence the postponements.

Lots of rumours floating around that at least some of the Police Nationale will remove their helmets in solidarity with the protestors - though don't expect the same from the Gendarmarie or the CRS.

The French do like a protest.
  • Options
    Fond of a manifestation, the French
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Any people on here live in France, what is it like over there ATM.

The same as over here I'd imagine but she'd use French KY before and French toothpaste afterwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All my French colleagues advised me not to venture into France this weekend - all to a man left the office early yesterday and intend to just stay at home. I live closer to the Belgian border in Strassen so there will be no effect on me. Weather this morning is pretty horrific rain and wind so would expect this would keep the number of protestors down.
    An interesting situation potentially building up but my French mates believe the protests have been hijacked.
  • Options

Unlike the French to give up without a fight....

Unlike the French to give up their 2 hour lunch break.

• Options

Marseille v Rennes match called off after 300 fans attack training centre

Marseille's match at home to Rennes in France's Ligue 1 was postponed after violent scenes at their training ground on Saturday.

Local police say that 300 Marseille supporters "violently attacked" officers at the training centre. There were 25 arrests.

Seven police officers were injured.

There have been a number of protests in recent weeks by Marseille fans about the way the club is being run, on and off the pitch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55873588

• Options
    "Marseille manager Manager Andre Villas-Boas led the club to second in Ligue 1 last season but said on Friday he was unlikely to get a contract extension beyond June and was set to leave at the end of the present campaign ....

"The place needs a clear-out including myself, unless I get 10 straight wins maybe not. But I'm responsible for the results and right now they're awful."

There's honesty for you. Trouble at t'mill at L'OM, by the sound of it.