Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Pete Shelley

Comments

• Options
    That Thames Poly gig. Weren't they supported that night by Penetration and the Slits? Was so good went and saw them the following Friday at the Lyceum.
  • Options
    Not a very nice man but wrote great pop songs. RIP Shelley!
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options

Along with Weller one of my idols growing up. Loved that band and saw them loads of times after seeing them at Thames poly in 78 or 79. RIP Peter.

I saw them at Thames Poly also - absolutely brilliant band.

Another gone far too soon.

RIP Peter.
  • Options
    Rip
  • Options
    RIP. I'm too young to have seen them in their heyday, but some cracking pop songs.
  • Options
    Really sad news - great songwriter of some timeless songs.
  • Options
    Loved the buzzcocks..what a shame RIP....

A few years ago when we were doing our annual trip to Blackpool, we visited Fleetwood market, my sister was chatting to a stall holder who happened to be his mother. She said if she came back the following day she would have something of his for her to have as memorabilia.

True to her word, when we went back the next day she gave my sister something. Top family too.
  • Options
    Oh no.
    Crap news.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP....some great songs by the Buzzcocks.
  • Options
    RIP One of my favourite songs - Orgasm Addicks
  • Options
    We've lost a stellar songwriter. RIP.
  • Options
    Saturday 4th March 1978

The Buzzcocks, Penetration & The Slits

Thames Polytechnic, Woolwich, London

https://www.boredteenagers.co.uk/PUNK GIGS.htm
  • Options
    What a shame. He had a way of making the simple beautiful.
  • Options
    Was lucky enough to meet Pete once, He was a Gent and so good live.
  • Options

Along with Weller one of my idols growing up. Loved that band and saw them loads of times after seeing them at Thames poly in 78 or 79. RIP Peter.

I also saw them for the first time at Thames Poly around 78/79. RIP Pete.
  • Options

Saturday 4th March 1978

I did not recall seeing the Slits at that gig ... and they were memorable :smiley:

Have to assume I arrived late ... although I may have been in the bar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Saturday 4th March 1978

Wow cheers for that. Saw my first punk gig according to that at the Roundhouse on 25 November 1977 - The Damned, Dead Boys and the Drones. Remember sending off for tickets and getting back tickets numbers 1&2!
  • Options
    R I P
  • Options

Saturday 4th March 1978

Yep, was there for that too. What a line-up.

So sad about Pete. Loved Buzzcocks and saw them many times.
  • Options
    God bless you Pete - you spurned my natural emotions.
  • Options

Seems there were more Charlton fans in the Poly that night than at the Valley for some of our recent cup games.

I was a student at the Poly at that time so can clearly remember it (although through an almost permanent drunken haze).
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Seems there were more Charlton fans in the Poly that night than at the Valley for some of our recent cup games.

I was a student at the Poly at that time so can clearly remember it (although through an almost permanent drunken haze).
    So unlike a particular current student I know then : - )
  • Options

That Thames Poly gig. Weren't they supported that night by Penetration and the Slits? Was so good went and saw them the following Friday at the Lyceum.

They were indeed Bollox, my fist punk gig and a pretty good one to start with. Whatever happened to New Wave Bob?

I always thought the Slits were rubbish, but Penetration were a great band. Buzzcocks? Punk royalty, if that's not a contradiction in terms. I think a guy called Patrik Fitzgerald did a short set at the start, just him and his guitar. All that for about £1.50 I'd guess.

RIP Pete.
  • Options
    Someone I went to Woolwich Poly gig with tells me I went backstage at the Marquee and watched Buzzcocks from there in 1977 but I have no memory of this.
  • Options
    I think it was the only gig I went to at the Poly. I have a vague recollection of a grubby basic downstairs bar off what looked like a dinner hall ? Am I right ?