Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ski Resorts advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    @SWEnglandAddick

have a look at Cairngormmountain.co.uk
    for some great live video.
  • Options
    ask on here: SnowHeads
  • Options
    My boy just got back from Crans Montana, Switzerland.

Had a great time.
  • Options
    Off to Jackson Hole in the morning. Got a friend who works on the mountain, and he says it’s been really good.
  • Options
    Not going this season.

Gutted
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Just seen the news out in Crans Montana, Switzerland of an avalanche. Many missing and fatalities.

My son was there two weeks ago!

• Options
    Just booked a ski trip for next Feb - kids never been before and could do with something to look forward to, booked Borovets in Bulgaria.

Anyone ever been ??
  • Options
    Just booked a ski trip for next Feb - kids never been before and could do with something to look forward to, booked Borovets in Bulgaria.

Anyone ever been ??
    Sorry, no. What are prices like generally for next year? Concerned there will be a lot of pent up demand and prices will increase hugely
  • Options
    my missus did plenty of research and the hotel we've booked seemed to be a great deal, £6k for 6 of us, all in - flights, half board, ski hire / school / lift passes etc - everything we'll need?

Sounds alot but we were being quoted alot more for other places.

my kids will love it and given they've basically spent a year at home, thought they deserved something to look forward to
  • Options
    my missus did plenty of research and the hotel we've booked seemed to be a great deal, £6k for 6 of us, all in - flights, half board, ski hire / school / lift passes etc - everything we'll need?

Sounds alot but we were being quoted alot more for other places.

my kids will love it and given they've basically spent a year at home, thought they deserved something to look forward to
    Have a look at the website ‘we love to ski’ - very good info on there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jints said:

Anyone ever been ??
    Sorry, no. What are prices like generally for next year? Concerned there will be a lot of pent up demand and prices will increase hugely
    Booked myself away next year to Val Thorens fairly reasonable just shy of £1,500 for the week half board, passes, flights transfers etc.

I think once were allowed to travel it'll rocket 
  • Options

Anyone ever been ??
    Yes. But it was many years ago (Charlton played Walsall away and we won 4-1?) I quite like it and the skiing wasn’t over challenging although I ended up in hospital due to avoiding a snowboarder that was about to crash into me. Luckily it was the last day but I missed a tour of Sofia booked before my flight back. It was very cheap and food was passable. 
  • Options
    Jints said:

Anyone ever been ??
    Booked myself away next year to Val Thorens fairly reasonable just shy of £1,500 for the week half board, passes, flights transfers etc.

I think once were allowed to travel it'll rocket 
    That's very decent for VT. Thanks, will start thinking about that for 2022.
  • Options
    £1500 for Val Thorens should be good, I had a chalet there with Skiworld last season for £1200 all in, local lift pass
  • Options

Anyone ever been ??
    Yes went with a group of 20 of us last year, mixed abilities and ages. We paid less than £700 a head, half board including ski passes, equipment hire, transfers etc. Great value and very cheap to eat and drink out compared to typical ski resorts. I am not a great skier but found just enough pistes to keep me amused for a week, great nightlife too. It is kind of the Benidorm of skiing but price was important for me as was paying for 4 people.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Anyone ever been ??
    Yep, we have been going there every February for the past 5 years. We are an intermediate, mid-50’s married couple who enjoy social skiing. Borovets has something for everybody. Can be very lively at night, though that’s not our thing. It is amazing value all round. Less than £750 each for a week that includes absolutely everything, including free hotel pools and spa, half board, lessons and passes. Loads of ok hotels, most very close to or a nice walk from the slopes and nightlife. We were due to be in Lion hotel again right now. It’s a buzzing but relaxed atmosphere with as much action as you want. Probably won’t appeal to the St Moritz crowd though. 

I only learnt to ski 8 years ago, at Vogel, Slovenia. Stayed in Lake Bled with 1 hour ski bus transfer to the slopes. If you want good value, beginner to intermediate slopes, beautiful, serene & historical location, I highly recommend it. Much prettier country than Bulgaria. We switched to Bulgaria because they hiked up the tuition costs which prompted us to look elsewhere.

We travel with Crystalski or Balkan Holidays. Balkan switched our 2021 booking to 2022 at the same cost without any hassle.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Any tips on what's best value for a small-ish group (6-8) when it comes to self-catering, half board, catered etc.?

I've had a look at a few on Crystalski but there's a lot to choose from! Currently leaning towards a couple of Italian resorts in the Dolomites for the scenery there
  • Options
    Any tips on what's best value for a small-ish group (6-8) when it comes to self-catering, half board, catered etc.?

I've had a look at a few on Crystalski but there's a lot to choose from! Currently leaning towards a couple of Italian resorts in the Dolomites for the scenery there
    If going self-catering, check these out - https://www.pierreetvacances.com/gb-en/ski-holidays-france_om

Have stayed with them a few times in the French Alps, load of options. I normally drive there as we have a ton of crap we bring, snowboards etc.

I quite like the drive, but we also make a stop off along the way and stay overnight. That way we can get the tunnel after work on a Friday, drive 3-4 hours, have a chilled meal and get up bright and early with a leasuirly drive up the mountains.

Flaine gets looked down on as being "ugly" but it's good skiing, snowsure and great for families. Also closest distance wise!

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Find reading this thread quite depressing.
    Sadly my skiing days are long over........without doubt the best holidays I have ever had.
    Some times I close my eyes and imagine I am back up there in The Dolomites on a beautiful sunny day doing battle with a black run or two..........in my day, at my best, I could handle them.
    Then reality quickly kicks back in, it ain’t gonna happen fella....it ain’t gonna happen.
    Chokes me up I can tell ya.😕😢😕
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    meldrew66 said:

Anyone ever been ??
    Yep, we have been going there every February for the past 5 years. We are an intermediate, mid-50’s married couple who enjoy social skiing. Borovets has something for everybody. Can be very lively at night, though that’s not our thing. It is amazing value all round. Less than £750 each for a week that includes absolutely everything, including free hotel pools and spa, half board, lessons and passes. Loads of ok hotels, most very close to or a nice walk from the slopes and nightlife. We were due to be in Lion hotel again right now. It’s a buzzing but relaxed atmosphere with as much action as you want. Probably won’t appeal to the St Moritz crowd though. 

I only learnt to ski 8 years ago, at Vogel, Slovenia. Stayed in Lake Bled with 1 hour ski bus transfer to the slopes. If you want good value, beginner to intermediate slopes, beautiful, serene & historical location, I highly recommend it. Much prettier country than Bulgaria. We switched to Bulgaria because they hiked up the tuition costs which prompted us to look elsewhere.

We travel with Crystalski or Balkan Holidays. Balkan switched our 2021 booking to 2022 at the same cost without any hassle.
    https://www.rilaborovets.com/en

we've booked here
  • Options
    I go to Borovets every year with a few pals and absolutely love it, it offers incredible value for money and you've picked the best hotel in the Rila.  It's bang at the bottom of the slopes, has a spa, pool etc, good restaurants and a lovely upstairs outside roof terrace.

Great choice.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Anyone ever been ??

we've booked here
    Perfect. You won’t be disappointed.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Just booked a ski trip for next Feb - kids never been before and could do
    with something to look forward to, booked Borovets in Bulgaria.

Anyone ever been ??

we've booked here
    Oooh, get you flash!

Took the family to Borovets in Jan2020, so kids learned to ski there. We loved it, and found the food in restaurants to be pretty good.
    My mate made a video which is on YouTube which might help a bit.
    https://youtu.be/81KZHjeu7Qk

• Options
    Brilliant cheers @onthe99