Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2019

Comments

• Options
    Don't know, he is now a massively popular horse.  Can see him staying around this sort of price actually.  

Personal preference obviously, but couldn't really entertain having a bet in this sort of race sub 10/1
  • Options
    Price mad for Tiger Roll but two completely personal reasons makes me not want to see this horse win..............don’t really want to see Rummy’s record equalled or even beaten and certainly not by an o leary owned horse the man is despicable on every level..........
  • Options
    Away from my personal rant I will be catching with Anthony within the next week or so and maybe owner of Ms Parfois so will inform of any news..............Anthony I know still likes Regal Encores chances too and we’re gutted about last years last minute injury
  • Options
    So @PeanutsMolloy

When is the GN?

What is my best three for a each way bet?

thanks
  • Options
    Tiger Roll... :-)
  • Options
    Pairofbrowneyes is the value for me if he takes his place off a very decent mark. He is well in at 10st 2.
    His jumping was very sound at Naas recently in the Leinster National. Only ever fallen once, in last years Irish National and Mullins has him at his best now. He doesn't have form over this distance...yet, but he was full of running at the finish in Naas last time out over 3 miles carrying 11 stone.
    He has been aimed at the Irish National previously but at 10 he is likely to be given a shot at the big one this year. 
  • Options
    So @PeanutsMolloy

When is the GN?

What is my best three for a each way bet?

thanks
    There's a good thread somewhere on here for that.  ;)
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    7/2! Bloody hell. Almost makes me wish I'd taken 5/1 a week ago.

He'll drift markedly on the day though, surely.
    I’d say the opposite. There are so many people having a bet on this race that won’t have a clue about racing. They will see last year’s winner going off at short odds and think it’s a sure thing. Money will keep coming and it’ll keep shortening.

I can still see it going shorter than the 5.5 currently available on exchanges, although it appears SkyBet have already gone there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is at this time of year that i can blag that i know something about horse racing to anyone bored enough to listen. 

Thanks to Peanuts and others...
  • Options
    Away from my personal rant I will be catching with Anthony within the next week or so and maybe owner of Ms Parfois so will inform of any news..............Anthony I know still likes Regal Encores chances too and we’re gutted about last years last minute injury
    He doesn't seem very confient 
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/videos-postcasts/anthony-honeyball-on-his-aintree-ambitions/371981
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    Anyway, I'm going to revisit one of my standbys from last year, and that is Baie Des Iles (50/1, 1/4 1-5 NRNB with Bet365, cheers Bob!).

With an OR of 142 it's touch and go/quite unlikely she'll make the cut, but when it's NRNB at such a big price I'm happy to invest.

She's now 8 years old (as PolzeathNick said, 3 of the last 4 winners were this age); but still a mare so we need a trend-bust in one regard.

Was tanking along like a good thing at Down Royal before falling 3 out, ahead of some good horses such as Jury Duty, Mala Beach and Don Poli, and the RPR for the winner there was a big 160.

She was tired last GN, of course, which isn't ideal, but suffered a massive hampering at the 23rd and was never on terms thereafter (what could have been if that hadn't occurred!).

Collected a lovely prize at Auteuil over an albeit strange 2m6f, but that was under Townend who was also on board at Down Royal.

These are all scattergun thoughts and probably reflect my tiredness, but if she gets in and if she runs (depends a lot on what Ross Sullivan does), then I'd take a very close interest.

Interesting thoughts @PaddyP17      or should I say "Pads"?  ;)
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Anyway, I'm going to revisit one of my standbys from last year, and that is Baie Des Iles (50/1, 1/4 1-5 NRNB with Bet365, cheers Bob!).

With an OR of 142 it's touch and go/quite unlikely she'll make the cut, but when it's NRNB at such a big price I'm happy to invest.

She's now 8 years old (as PolzeathNick said, 3 of the last 4 winners were this age); but still a mare so we need a trend-bust in one regard.

Was tanking along like a good thing at Down Royal before falling 3 out, ahead of some good horses such as Jury Duty, Mala Beach and Don Poli, and the RPR for the winner there was a big 160.

She was tired last GN, of course, which isn't ideal, but suffered a massive hampering at the 23rd and was never on terms thereafter (what could have been if that hadn't occurred!).

Collected a lovely prize at Auteuil over an albeit strange 2m6f, but that was under Townend who was also on board at Down Royal.

These are all scattergun thoughts and probably reflect my tiredness, but if she gets in and if she runs (depends a lot on what Ross Sullivan does), then I'd take a very close interest.

Interesting thoughts @PaddyP17      or should I say "Pads"?  ;)
    Haha, rumbled! I've attempted to be very careful in not claiming any of this as my own, but a laziness in editing has rather caught up I suspect!

Either way though, as people quite rightly say, this is some of the more superb stuff written on the GN and surely it should be shared!
  • Options

Racing Post reports:

"Nigel Twiston-Davies is keen on a crack at the Randox Health Grand National with top-weight Bristol De Mai - but has stressed a final decision rests with owners Simon Munir and Isaac Souede.

The grey outran his 18-1 odds to finish a fine third in the Magners Gold Cup at Cheltenham behind Al Boum Photo.

It was only his third run of the season, having won the Betfair Chase at Haydock for a second time on his return and fallen in the King George VI Chase at Kempton on Boxing Day.

Twiston-Davies - who has never lost faith in his eight-year-old - said: "No decision has been made yet. I'd have thought if he goes anywhere it would be the Grand National, well I hope it would, but I've not spoken to the owners. If we feel he is well enough we will probably go for the National." "

• Options
    Baie Des Iles swerving the GN. Ah well. That was like lending a mate a tenner and not getting it back, but knowing he'll be good for it in a week and a half...
  • Options
    *weights rising klaxon*

BDM to run in the Bowl and not the GN!
  • Options
    waited for nrnb before having my runners and riders mine are currently;

anibale fly ew
    abilitionist ew
    lakeview lad ew
    ramses de teille ( ta peanuts :wink: ) ew
    mall dini ew 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bristol coming out sticks another 4lbs on to the back of Tiger Roll.  Not being the biggest horse and the fact he only won by a narrow margin last year would make this a concern.

Actually had my first dabble in this market in the last few days, and not on a horse I anticipated backing but UP FOR REVIEW does have an alluring profile, scarily similar to that of last years runner-up Pleasant Company.

Now the stats say you need to have had at least 10 runs over fences to win this race, but the recent changes to fences means the shape of this race has changed, and ultimately this is still a "handicap" so we've seen the lighter raced "progressive" horses prevail.

UP FOR REVIEW is a 10yo, but has had his issues and as a result has only had 7 chase starts in his life but is set to race off a mark of just 146 that I think is plenty workable.  This was a horse that was touted as a future Gold Cup horse in his younger days (indeed his mother was a sister to Gold Cup third Turpin Green), and given he still remains somewhat unexposed over fences I think winning off a mark of 146 is achievable.

On the face of his form, stamina might be a question mark but he won over 3m in his novice hurdle days, and has only been stepped up to 3m1f on his two starts this season.  In those he has excelled, coming from off the pace to finish 3rd in the Thyestes on his season debut, and then travelling like the winner in the Ultima at Cheltenham before making a shuddering mistake at the third last.  The way he travelled that day points to 146 being a mark well within his comfort zone, indeed I've made him capable of at least a stone better.

He's only been stepped up in trip this season, but his pedigree is riddled with stamina with the aforementioned maternal relationship to a horse placed in a Gold Cup, and his family also sees horses that have featured in the Eider.  Those into their dosage profiles will also see a horse that should come into his own at marathon trips (again it's very similar to Pleasant Company, both being by Presenting....they both ran in the Thyestes too!)

So, we have a lightly raced horse with plenty of stamina in his pedigree who looks on an attractive mark trained by Willie Mullins, that handles big fields fine (3rd in Thyestes).  He rightly went off 8/1 favourite for the Ultima, so I was somewhat taken aback to see prices of 70+ on Betfair so have taken all of that, accepting the non-runner liability.  He's just had two starts this season, but Mullins has been light on some of his given lack of rain in Ireland, and if anything he looks set to be coming to the boil just at the right time.  Hopefully he give Graham Wylie a big winner, who really is one of the good guys and lost two horses at Cheltenham.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    *weights rising klaxon*

BDM to run in the Bowl and not the GN!
    I don't think they ever intended to run him
  • Options
    Blaklion scratched. Waste of money.
  • Options
    Anthony’s comments on his two are as follows
    Ms Parfois is the perfect horse for the National but his worries are the ground and how much the Midlands National has taken out of her
    Regal Encore everything has gone perfectly to plan and is spot on for the race the worry is,is it a year too late? Had really high hopes for Regal last year but got injured the day before the race
  • Options
    didn't know if this is the place as its still part of the grand national meeting

but altior and santini will not feature confirmed by henderson - shame as was hoping to see altior be stepped up in trip
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Blaklion scratched. Waste of money.
    Indeed - £300K plus VAT for a 10 year old gelding that has not won for 18 months and picked up zero prize money in the last year. Bet its former owners probably can't believe their luck!
  • Options
    Abolitionist out - injured. A great shame.
  • Options
    I (google) can't find that. Do you have a link Peanuts ?
  • Options
    Are you sure that's not last year's news, @PeanutsMolloy ?