Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aren't we just slightly over reacting?

123457»

Comments

• Winnable tie...

Nice try.
  • Winnable tie...

But unlikely. Unbeaten at home since September 29th.
  • Ok, if you think about it, when enter Round 1 of the FA Cup, we only have a 1 chance in 4 of reaching Round 3. And the chances then of landing a real inspring tie are about 1 in 7 or 8.
  • Now we would have had an uninspiring Championship side we can all pipe down now about it.

Pipe down, how very dare you. On third round Saturday I intend to stand in the Donny end at Preston, as a full kit wanker and support Charlton, who really should be there that day.

I will forget eventually, but forgive never !
  • edited December 2018
    Simonsen said:

It's not just about getting a plum draw in the 3rd round. It is possible to have an enjoyable FA Cup by winning some less glamorous games and maybe getting the plum draw in later rounds or by simply making progress.

Look at our Quarter Final year 2000;

3rd Round; home to Swindon; - Same division as us (and crap)
    4th Round; home to QPR - Same division as us.
    5th Round; away to Coventry - One division above us but hardly one of the big boys. Still one of the best FA Cup days I've experienced.
    6th Round; away to Bolton; - One division below us.

Whilst it ended in frustration, that was a good cup run and a lot of fun. The "reward" came in the 5th Round at Coventry with one of the best comebacks and we made it to the Quarter Final.

Bolton were in the First Division with us that year, they were in the Play-Offs
  • Simonsen said:

It's not just about getting a plum draw in the 3rd round. It is possible to have an enjoyable FA Cup by winning some less glamorous games and maybe getting the plum draw in later rounds or by simply making progress.

5th Round; away to Coventry - One division above us but hardly one of the big boys. Still one of the best FA Cup days I've experienced.

Whilst it ended in frustration, that was a good cup run and a lot of fun. The "reward" came in the 5th Round at Coventry with one of the best comebacks and we made it to the Quarter Final.

You're right. I even went up there a couple of weeks later for the league game when we got our revenge!
  • Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

You're right. I even went up there a couple of weeks later for the league game when we got our revenge!
    We also got the ultimate revenge by taking Claus Jensen and Mark Fish from them the following season

Just a shame we couldnt quite get Eidur Gudjohnsen too, he'd have been class for us
  • Sponsored links:

• In reality, surely Luzons team selection for Palace away in the league cup was worse, for me that started the downward spiral of that season as until just before that game we were actually doing well
  • Simonsen said:

6th Round; away to Bolton; - Same division as us.

That was sick that one
  • MrLargo said:

Can't believe the stick being dished out to Bowyer. What exactly is the benefit of a cup run this season? We have a paper thin squad and an owner who's not gonna strengthen it in January. He could have fielded a stronger side today, we could have won, we could have drawn Man U at Old Trafford in the next round. That might be a dream draw in normal circumstances - a nice day out for us and a load of cash to potentially reinvest in the playing squad, but that's not going to happen under Roland, any money we make goes in his pocket. There is literally nothing to gain from staying in the cup.

Konsa and Magennis sold in the summer and Kashi's wages off the bill. 2 free transfers in and a few loans to replace last season's loans.

We're in the top six and playing far better than we did under the previous two numpties, who had a great deal more to work with, that is entirely thanks to Bowyer. If you don't like what you saw today then send your complaints to Roland.

Agree with this. The priority has to be the League. No third tier side is going to get anywhere near the FA Cup final. Bowyer recognizes that and is now free the concentrate on promotion.
  • MrLargo said:

Can't believe the stick being dished out to Bowyer. What exactly is the benefit of a cup run this season? We have a paper thin squad and an owner who's not gonna strengthen it in January. He could have fielded a stronger side today, we could have won, we could have drawn Man U at Old Trafford in the next round. That might be a dream draw in normal circumstances - a nice day out for us and a load of cash to potentially reinvest in the playing squad, but that's not going to happen under Roland, any money we make goes in his pocket. There is literally nothing to gain from staying in the cup.

Konsa and Magennis sold in the summer and Kashi's wages off the bill. 2 free transfers in and a few loans to replace last season's loans.

We're in the top six and playing far better than we did under the previous two numpties, who had a great deal more to work with, that is entirely thanks to Bowyer. If you don't like what you saw today then send your complaints to Roland.

Agree with this. The priority has to be the League. No third tier side is going to get anywhere near the FA Cup final. Bowyer recognizes that and is now free the concentrate on promotion.
    There are no excuses now. Apart from what may occur next month of course
  • It's Charlton ffs nobody at the club gives a fuck what the "customers" want so why should Bowyer.

After all it's had no effect whatsoever on crowds and income plummeting over the past few years that's all CARDS fault.
  • In reality, surely Luzons team selection for Palace away in the league cup was worse, for me that started the downward spiral of that season as until just before that game we were actually doing well

A classic case of managers just not getting it. Sometimes you can't just manage on a rational basis - the league form is all that matters, cups are a luxury etc. That's where younger or foreign managers need guiding sometimes, an old head who knows that the fans expect.
  • Bert, do a survey please

Not until my last one is reinstated which was deleted without explanation
  • Oggy Red said:

We've got 8 fixtures in the next few weeks, culminating with Sunderland at home on January 5th.
    Until then, except one week, we play each midweek and weekend.

Amongst those, there are tough away games at Blackpool, Portsmouth, Barnsley plus Coventry, who've already beaten us at The Valley this year.

These are key games.

Bowyer has a small squad that's already carrying long term injuries plus niggles.
    He ain't going to take risks. Curbishley didn't either.

Bowyer has said all along, promotion is the only thing he has set his sights on, one aim and one aim only ..... and no way is he going to split his focus.

Personally, I'd love a Cup run - but I'd rather he give everything to try and get out of this shit division.

Totally agree - and yes, I was there on Saturday.

• “I’m looking at the bigger picture, some people might not like that. But my job is to get promotion – not to win that cup.”
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-manager-bowyer-reveals-why-he-couldnt-take-risks-for-fa-cup-tie-and-how-doncaster-tie-told-him-one-player-isnt-ready-yet/