Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aren't we just slightly over reacting?

Comments

• Options

It won’t be that easily forgotten when Doncaster draw Man City Spurs or West Ham away

• Options
    edited December 2018

1905 said:

Why did Bowyer bother with a reasonably strong side in the replay against Mansfield? Knowing that we were playing Doncaster next up and he would probably field a team to lose in that one.

Wasnt Taylor played because he'd have been out of action for three weeks (between the Walsall and Burton games) and so Bowyer didnt want him losing any sharpness?
    What if he had picked up an injury in that game?
    Play your strongest team and what will be, will be, we’re not going to Wembley.
  • Options
    Resting Bauer, Bieliek AND Pearce was well OTT. Baffled if a tough CB like Pearce isn't able to play 3 games in 8 days. And if he had picked up a knock, we still have Sarr, Bielik and Bauer as options for next Saturday

If Fosu had a tight groin, fine rest him but include Ward in the squad instead, he was only a sub on Tuesday. Aribo had 2 weeks off during the international break, have him on the bench if you don't want to start him.

To me the presence of the likes of Bauer, Ward, Aribo and Taylor on the bench would have changed the atmosphere, Doncaster knew that in the last 30 minutes we had NOBODY to bring on and change things, and that's when they took control.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

I'm reminded of the old joke where a man is being interviewed for a job. It's all going swimmingly and the interview decides to wrap things up with one last question. "What do you think is your biggest weakness?" he asks.

The man replies "honesty."

The interviewer is a bit puzzled, "I don't think honesty is a weakness."

The man replies "I don't give a f@ck what you think"

We all know why Bowyer picked the team he did, it's not rocket science. Better management of expectation and a less blunt post match interview would have avoided a lot of this aggro.

Bowyer was honest. He gave an honest reason and answer to what and why he did. SIMPLES!

We may not agree with his reasoning but it was honest. SIMPLES!
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Been interesting to see the complete split in the fanbase on this

Not interesting but very sad how many people appear desparate for a big day out, irrespective of the possible consequences to our paper thin squad.
    I take it you don’t have kids ? I have teenage boys who have never had the chance in their lifetime to see us in a big cup game . Bowyers stinking attitude has robbed them of a possible chance to see their team play one of the big boys . That’s not sad as you delightfully put it.
  • Options

It might well be something along the lines of those who were at White Hart Lane in 1985 or Ewood Park in 1994 and those that weren't.

• Options
    Fink ov da children!!!! :wink:
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Not interesting but very sad how many people appear desparate for a big day out, irrespective of the possible consequences to our paper thin squad.
    I take it you don’t have kids ? I have teenage boys who have never had the chance in their lifetime to see us in a big cup game . Bowyers stinking attitude has robbed them of a possible chance to see their team play one of the big boys . That’s not sad as you delightfully put it.
    I don't think that remark was aimed at your situation Beds but I can understand your reaction. Let's hope your lads have their big day out at Wembley in the play off final and then after we've won 7-6 on penalties we'll be in the third round automatically next year and hopefully draw a big club...……….that couldn't possibly happen could it? :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I don't think that remark was aimed at your situation Beds but I can understand your reaction. Let's hope your lads have their big day out at Wembley in the play off final and then after we've won 7-6 on penalties we'll be in the third round automatically next year and hopefully draw a big club...……….that couldn't possibly happen could it? :wink:
    And if it does happen it'll be down to Bowyer resting the squad against Donnie Rovers and concentrating on the league.

Joking.

Each to their own, I've said before, nobody is right, nobody is wrong, just individual opinion and interpretation.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    1905 said:

Why did Bowyer bother with a reasonably strong side in the replay against Mansfield? Knowing that we were playing Doncaster next up and he would probably field a team to lose in that one.

Pratley played to give him a game, but he is now injured.
    Bauer played to give him a game coming back from injury.
    Taylor played to give him a game, as he missed the previous game suspended.
    Fosu was going to play v Doncaster but had a tight hamstring or something like that.
    Grant was on the bench v Mansfield, but he has played a lot of games without rest (and he also had a niggle).

Charlton Athletic
    1Phillips
    2Dijksteel
    43Stevenson
    15Pratley Marshall 66"
    5Bauer Sarpeng-Wiredu 62"
    23Sarr
    32Lapslie
    10Clarke Morgan 74"
    25Ajose 90"+1"
    9Taylor 11"52"55"85"
    11Fosu-Henry
    Substitutes
    31Maynard-Brewer
    18Grant
    19Morgan
    7Marshall 81"
    37Hackett-Fairchild
    44 Sarponh-Wiredu

Bowyer on why he had to be careful with Bielik, Grant and Fosu for today's game against Doncaster.

Lee Bowyer revealed first team regular Krystian Bielik would have started today’s loss to Doncaster Rovers but for a niggle in training on Friday.

The Charlton manager made nine changes to his starting lineup following an exhausting victory at Burton Albion on Tuesday for today’s FA Cup second round game and explained a tight hamstring for Karlan Grant and a tight groin for Tariqe Fosu also kept them out of the side.

A young Addicks team put up a good battle and were unfortunate to be on the wrong end of a 2-0 result.

Speaking after the game in his press conference, which is available to watch on Valley Pass, Bowyer said: “I’m disappointed because of the result but I’m not overly disappointed because I learnt a lot from my players today.

“It’s good for me to see them playing against a Doncaster starting XI that are in our league because I can see if I can trust them going there when we have to play them, I might need them. So I’ve learnt valuable stuff today. I’ve learnt Mark Marshall is getting to where he should be. His end product is improving all the time.

“Krystian Bielik was meant to start today but he and Karlan (Grant) walked in from training yesterday with tight hamstrings, both of them. They said th can’t have you getting injured’.

“I made a lot of changes but I’d be stupid if I didn’t. If I’d have lost Krystian and say Karlan, I’d have to go to Portsmouth and Blackpool the next two games without those two involved in my squad, I’d have been stupid to risk them out there today, stupid.

“I have to look at the bigger picture. The most important thing is promotion. We’re not going to win the FA Cup. Would it be nice to have a run? Yes it would but if it’s going to sacrifice me losing two, or one, or three, or four important players, why am I going to do that? I’m not going to do that. It’s too valuable, there is too much at stake.

“Lyle Taylor asked, he wanted to play today, and Krystian. They wanted to play. I’ve got players that wanted to play. They’re not saying to me ‘Can you rest me?’ I’m the one saying ‘You need rest’. We just went Saturday/Tuesday, two tough games. Bristol we won and Burton was a very tough game. They put in a hell of a shift, they (the players) were all stiff as anything on Thursday and Friday two of them walk in from training because of tight hamstrings. Tariqe’s out with a tight groin. Three players from Tuesday’s game! I can’t risk a few more. I’d be an idiot. I’d be stupid to do that. It wasn’t a difficult decision for me to be honest because I have to look at the bigger picture, that’s my job. My job is to do the best for the club.

“They are fatigue injuries that they’ve got. Yeah, they might be alright to train Monday but there is every chance that if I play them today, after an hour they pull a hamstring or groin and then they are out for three-four weeks. Then I haven’t got them for Blackpool, I haven’t got them for Portsmouth and people will be like ‘Why did you risk them?’."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I have a 14 year old son, who had just started to properly consider himself as a Charlton fan when we won the League One title under SCP. Since this Belgian twat has owned us we have barely attended a game (none in the last couple of years) and that will continue all the time he remains as owner and that includes any "glory" games that may or may not arise.
    Some things are more important.
  • Options
    I was there. I expected a weakened side, but not one that was that weak and with such a weak bench. I don't think Bowyer should go because of it but he's slipped in my estimation and it's an unsurprising pity that there was no one in the club's hierarchy to point out that it might piss off us mugs who paid to go and see the game to be so honest about not caring for the Cup.
  • Options
    Eff me, cant even have a jokey thread about Doncasters future Cup opponents without some twat flagging me - the Charlton Life Stasi out in force.
    Its no longer a forum - its a friggin Cult - if you dont toe the line you get trod on.
  • Options
    ^^ nearly flagged you for that @The_President lol
  • Options
    Some are going on as if it's the last ever FA Cup we will compete in. It ain't. Hopefully next year we will be in better shape. Besides which I felt the dialema this year.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Massively overreacting. We've always been shit in the cups and anybody that was expecting different today was deluding themselves. With a paper-thin squad, already suffering from injuries, it was the right thing to do.
    I don't understand the need for a big day out in the 3rd round.

This is certainly true of Charlton in my lifetime. I don't see it as either a valid excuse or an expectation that we should always be the same though. There's magic in a good cup run, if you can't dream and hope, you might as well not bother with football. And if a professional team can't put out a side worthy of the competition then perhaps they shouldn't be in business.
    Our owner shouldn't be in the business....
  • Options
    'Joyless club' with the execption of the odd succesful away day at Northampton, Pompey or Burton in the last year this completely and sadly sums us up for me.
  • Options

Some are going on as if it's the last ever FA Cup we will compete in. It ain't. Hopefully next year we will be in better shape. Besides which I felt the dialema this year.

We are shit every year and bottle it or don't turn up. Bit like derbies.

Joyless club with evidently many unambitious fans happy to plod along not upsetting the football world in any way whatsoever.

Should be trying to win ever single game we play and if the manager can't be arsed and it's deemed no big deal amongst many fans then I don't see the point of it.
    Ref bottled the last Millwall game for us. But yeah we seem to go to peices when we play them.
  • Options

We are shit every year and bottle it or don't turn up. Bit like derbies.

Joyless club with evidently many unambitious fans happy to plod along not upsetting the football world in any way whatsoever.

Should be trying to win ever single game we play and if the manager can't be arsed and it's deemed no big deal amongst many fans then I don't see the point of it.
    Ref bottled the last Millwall game for us. But yeah we seem to go to peices when we play them.
    I still haven’t got over that tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ha Ha Ha Preston away, would've been a localish game for me but how many would we have taken 500?
  • Options

Whatever the draw Lee was correct, but he's now fully vindicated in my eyes.
    Preston v Doncaster.
    I reckon we've had taken at least 5,000.

Where’s your ambition? We could have taken 10,000 if fans like you weren’t happy being lidl old Charlton.
  • Options

Preston v Doncaster.

Sigh.
    Some real wanky posters on here.
  • Options

Preston v Doncaster.

Sigh.
    Some real wanky posters on here.
    Have a night off then :wink: .
  • Options

You lost me on "compete"...;(
  • Options

You lost me on "compete"...;(
    "Enter" the FA Cup
  • Options
    Now we would have had an uninspiring Championship side we can all pipe down now about it.