Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aren't we just slightly over reacting?

Comments

• Options
    B@llocks to the FA cup
  • Options
    It's 2 things for me.

The 1st he could have made 4 or 5 changes, had 3 or 4 of them on the bench and I don't think most people would have a problem.

The second is the man managment thing I have mentioned before.

Either put a team out to try and win or tell everyone it's Billy Clarke's testimonial before they game so they don't waste their hard earned cash.
  • Options
    Bad management and a club who doesn’t understand its fans. WE WANT A CUP RUN AND PROMOTION. Is that greedy? Who cares. Bowyers selection was a joke. Insulting to the fans who paid. On top of that, it makes the team selection for the Mansfield replay look ridiculous.
  • Options
    One of reasons why I’m boycotting is because the owner doesn’t care if the team doesn’t win. It seems that this has rubbed off on the manager. The aim of any club is to do their best and play their strongest team and go as far as possible in any competition it enters.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Bad management and a club who doesn’t understand its fans. WE WANT A CUP RUN AND PROMOTION. Is that greedy? Who cares. Bowyers selection was a joke. Insulting to the fans who paid. On top of that, it makes the team selection for the Mansfield replay look ridiculous.

I don't want a cup run and I don't think half the fans do.
    They just want to get a big team so they can have thier day out.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    clb74 said:

masicat said:

I want a cup run. Love the cup and hate that we're so awful in it every year.

Would rather get small teams and progress further than a "big" club tie in 3rd or 4th round when we get patronised as plucky Charlton before getting knocked out.

• Options
    I can see both sides of the argument
    But you know if we’d played a strong 11 got an injury and got through
    There would be people saying ok for what bowyer actually doing this time saying yep he was right to field a strong team to try and keep momentum going and any player could get injured training should we also stop that .

Bowyers comments were a bit crass tbh when a bit more diplomacy wouldn’t have fuelled the fire as much
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018

clb74 said:

masicat said:

I want a cup run. Love the cup and hate that we're so awful in it every year.

Would rather get small teams and progress further than a "big" club tie in 3rd or 4th round when we get patronised as plucky Charlton before getting knocked out.

Couldn't agree more with Rodders.

"What if" the above had happened and Charlton don't get promoted, instead of getting knocked out to Doncaster "to concentrate on the league" and Charlton don't get promoted lol
  • Options
    edited December 2018

I can see both sides of the argument
    But you know if we’d played a strong 11 got an injury and got through
    There would be people saying ok for what bowyer actually doing this time saying yep he was right to field a strong team to try and keep momentum going and any player could get injured training should we also stop that .

Bowyers comments were a bit crass tbh when a bit more diplomacy wouldn’t have fuelled the fire as much

I’d have been happy Less annoyed if we’d played a strong 2 or 3....
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Bowyer out!!!

Come on, be honest you want him to replace Bomber when he takes you down :wink: .
    What do you mean "when"
  • Options

There will always be an excuse not to go for it in any season regardless. This year it's promotion, another year staying up, then consolidating.. And on and on...

To answer the op no, I don't think it's an over reaction to be annoyed and express that annoyance on a message board. We aren't storming Bowyers office or demanding his resignation or anything like that are we?

The day I don't get annoyed when we lose a winnable game for whatever reason I think I'll be done.

This.

Every effing year out come the excuses that we can't put out a full strength team because we are involved in a promotion or relegation fight. And yet as the season plays out how many times in recent year's have we actually ended up in a real promotion fight or in a relegation fight we had a serious chance of avoiding?

So when can we take the cup seriously?

LB called it wrong on Saturday. And the sub bench he named, only 5 players including one kid who hadn't played for 15 months, was a piss take.

Right, 'I'm saying no more on the subject!
  • Options

There will always be an excuse not to go for it in any season regardless. This year it's promotion, another year staying up, then consolidating.. And on and on...

To answer the op no, I don't think it's an over reaction to be annoyed and express that annoyance on a message board. We aren't storming Bowyers office or demanding his resignation or anything like that are we?

The day I don't get annoyed when we lose a winnable game for whatever reason I think I'll be done.

This.

Every effing year out come the excuses that we can't put out a full strength team because we are involved in a promotion or relegation fight. And yet as the season plays out how many times in recent year's have we actually ended up in a real promotion fight or in a relegation fight we had a serious chance of avoiding?

LB called it wrong on Saturday. And the sub bench he named, only 5 players including one kid who hadn't played for 15 months, was a piss take.

Last year mate
  • Options
    its not a given we would of beaten doncaster with a full strength side but think we would of had a v good chance a winnable 2nd round tie at home - and we fielded a weak side, go on to get something from blackpool and pompey - master stroke - get f all then will make it look a v silly decision - also given our owner is a wanker would he be best pleased at us potentially get a lucrative premier league tie
  • Options

Rizzo said:

I have no complaints about Saturday's team selection, although I do understand the anger of those who wasted their time and money. I actually don't understand the desire for a cup run at this point. We have zero chance of actually winning the FA Cup. We either get a crappy lower league tie in the next round, or we get drawn against one of the big boys and take an absolute kicking. Any revenue a cup run would bring will be immediately trousered by our arsehole owner so it won't benefit the club. Fuck the cup!

Really,really dont get it.
    Last season Wimbledon got to play Spurs at Wembley , Spurs played their first team, it was 0-0 at half time, and ended 3-0. Why all the negativity?
    Oh no, we dont want to go to Wembley,Old Trafford,Anfield in case we get beaten - what a load of bollox.
    It would have been a great day out for the fans, and a day to remember , like Old Trafford,Fulham etc even with the results - a day that we deserve after all the shit we have had, yet supporters dont want to go to Wembley, ohhh no, they'd rather have their match at Burton on a cold Tuesday in front of 3k people.
    For me, it sorta sums up the mentality of our fanbase.Negative,downtrodden and no real ambition.

Sigh.
    Stu,

The trouble is that you seem to have convinced yourself that we would have beaten Doncaster had we fielded a stronger team. You also seem to assume that having disposed of Doncaster, presumably without the need for a replay, we would have drawn either top or local Premier League opposition, who would play their first team against us and we would then give them a run for their money. In reality, of course, we were just as likely to get someone like Oldham or Grimsby away in front of those 3000 people. I know you love this club but I can’t see you jetting in from Luxembourg for that, even presuming that you could get a flight from Lux to an airport within a hundred miles of Grimsby.

We might have have got a Premier League team like Huddersfield (Leeds/Bradford airport) but away to Huddersfield reserves doesn’t set my pulses racing.
  • Options

This.

Last year mate
    Last year when we capitulated to Wimbledon when we had a shot at Tottenham at wembley? Or when we capitulated (twice) against shrewsbury?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been interesting to see the complete split in the fanbase on this
  • Options

Yeh but how many of them going to Blackpool?
  • Options

This.

Last year mate
    Last year when we capitulated to Wimbledon when we had a shot at Tottenham at wembley? Or when we capitulated (twice) against shrewsbury?
    At least we reached the play-offs. Wimbledon didn’t.
  • Options

I don’t think it is interesting.
  • Options
    My beef ain't necessarily with Bowyer, but more with the game itself, when a fair chunk of fans think its acceptable to enter a game, not bothered with the outcome. That ain't a dig at those fans either, just probably a reflection on where the game, or maybe just Charlton is at the moment. It's the FA Cup ffs

It could be a generation thing and I'd be interested to know the demographic of people who think not winning games is acceptable, in order to do better elsewhere (not specifically relating to the Donny on Saturday, but in general). Maybe look into doing a poll
  • Options

I think in favour of those not amused.

• Options
    Bradford got to the final of the League Cup in the season they got promoted from L2.

The way Bowyer talked about tiredness makes it sound as if we're unique, that we've had a uniquely tough week. Everyone played midweek, it was a regular Tuesday set of fixtures, and it was wet everywhere. Doncaster for example had a local derby against Barnsley followed by a tough midweek home fixture against Blackpool.
  • Options
    i thought Terry Smith summed it up well on the Charlton live podcast