Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Reserves v Doncaster - Post Match Views

167891012»

Comments

• edited December 2018

Disgusted. Not getting to see us lose 7-0 to Tottenham Hotspur U23s has ruined my season.

Whereas beating Wycombe Wanderers et al has made it?
    Because beating Wycombe could be an important factor in gaining promotion, Tottenham in the FA cup wont be....
  • edited December 2018

CAFCTrev said:

Disgusted. Not getting to see us lose 7-0 to Tottenham Hotspur U23s has ruined my season.

Because beating Wycombe could be an important factor in gaining promotion, Tottenham in the FA cup wont be....
    As has been discussed ad nauseam, it’s a massive leap at this stage to suggest one game makes any difference to whether the team gets promoted, but my point is that League One football is not very exciting - as our collapsed attendances reflect.
    So go balls-out in the FA cup in the hope that we may draw a big team to add some fleeting excitement to a dull league one season? With a paper-thin injury prone squad when we are clinging to the top 6?

The crowds were already down in the championship and its the ownership that has caused that as much as the quality of the football.
  • CAFCTrev said:

As has been discussed ad nauseam, it’s a massive leap at this stage to suggest one game makes any difference to whether the team gets promoted, but my point is that League One football is not very exciting - as our collapsed attendances reflect.
    Attendances didn't collapse last time we were in L1.
  • Away to Preston - I don’t think LB is too fussed about missing that one.
  • CAFCTrev said:

We lost about 40 per cent of season-ticket holders, so that’s not true.
  • CAFCTrev said:

We lost about 40 per cent of season-ticket holders, so that’s not true.
    Care to expand on that. I'm not disputing the drop in season ticket sales but our average home attendance appears to have been circa 17,400 in 2011/2012 dropping to 11,800 last season which is where @andynelson may have been coming from and we know that the actual bodies through the turnstiles was a lot lower than the last figure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Our average over the 3 years in L1 was 16,000+ last time. Now we're lucky to get 10,000.
  • Our average over the 3 years in L1 was 16,000+ last time. Now we're lucky to get 10,000.

Is that actual figures or the figures the club put out :wink:
  • edited December 2018
    ross1 said:

Our average over the 3 years in L1 was 16,000+ last time. Now we're lucky to get 10,000.

Is that actual figures or the figures the club put out :wink:
    Very good, have a look on this site @ross1 https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-league-one-2011-2012/1/
  • The Prem years are now a lot further away, might have something to do with it. Back in 2011 we might have thought a sharpish return to the Prem was on the cards.
  • edited December 2018

Our average over the 3 years in L1 was 16,000+ last time. Now we're lucky to get 10,000.

We don’t have more than 7,500 home fans in the ground now for most games (including comps), and that has declined year on year in League One, but on both occasions when we were relegated we lost about 4,000 season ticket holders.
  • CAFCTrev said:

CAFCTrev said:

So go balls-out in the FA cup in the hope that we may draw a big team to add some fleeting excitement to a dull league one season? With a paper-thin injury prone squad when we are in the top 6?

The crowds were already down in the championship and its the ownership that has caused that as much as the quality of the football.
    I don’t think anyone has argued that the FA Cup should be prioritised over the league and that Bowyer should have played the strongest possible team - rather that the selection was too weak and too cautious, to the extent it amounted to not really trying to win the match.
    The bench basically told everyone that he didn't care about the result. Only 5 players with NONE of the rested outfield players available.

Imagine if it had been 0-0 with 15 minutes to go, with Doncaster down to 10 men and desperately trying to hang on, we had nobody available to capitalise
  • Christ, I wish I'd kept my trap shut.
  • Didn't do a match summary for this one. I'm resting myself for the league.