Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Food banks

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2018
    wow its a good job we have the defenders of truth and democracy called The Labour party !!! i mean there was no poverty,no food banks,no homelessness,no illigal wars,no hidden mass migration, in all the years they were in power

in the real World go out and help the poor bastards that are in need,and thats not puting a £ in at Xmas.
  • Options

Photo-opp. philanthropy: Here's a grinning Iain Duncan-Smith, the architect of Universal Credit and massive cuts to welfare spending, 'assisting' those in need.
    Grin on, Tory. The callousness and arrogance defines you.

Yeah they should throw all of his donations in the bin and tell him his help isn’t wanted.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    This charity was set up by a 24 year old Charlton fan, called Samuel Spong. Article in the football league paper.
  • Options

The mental gymnastics some posters on this thread are going through to shift the blame to Labour or to create some false equivalency between the amount of kids turning up for school hungry this morning, because that's what we are talking about, and 10, 15, 20 years ago is astonishing.

None of this should be a surprise to anyone.

The Tories have stood on a platform of austerity and a narrative of demonising benefits claimants since 2010. If you were happy to vote for it in 2010, then vote for more in 2015 and then a little more last year people could at least have the honesty to accept it or acknowledge the impact their vote has had on the poorest in our society.

See also rising homelessness...

im not shifting the blame to anyone - but the notion that food banks and poverty in this country are a new thing that have just been caused by the tories i believe to be bollocks. lets remember the tories only got in power in 2010!.
    And rough sleeping has doubled since 2010 - I wonder who’s to blame for that?
  • Options

Isn't homelessness a local council issue rather than a central government one, and if so doesn't most homelessness exists in cities where councils are generally Labour-run? (I understand the argument that central government 'austerity' has had an impact on councils).

Your stat on rough sleeping is correct but broader homelessness (including B&Bs and other temporary accommodation) peaked under the Labour govt in 2003 and has since fallen by approx. 50%.

Homelessness legislation is set by the government, unlike housing register policies which have some central government legislative elements but can also be shaped by local authorities. Homelessness and rough sleeping went down from the peak of 2003, but have gone up considerably since 2010.
  • Options
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5beb0dc892983/charlton-athletic-and-fans-for-foodbanks-join-forces-to-give-local-residents-a-helping-hand-over-christmas
    I just wanted to give this a bump to remind people of the Foodbank collections at the next two home games. Vital for many people at this time of year. From the Greenwich Foodbank website:
    URGENTLY NEEDED FOOD ITEMS:
    TINNED FRUIT
    TINNED PEAS
    TINNED CARROTS
    LONGLIFE FRUIT JUICE
    TINNED RICE/CUSTARD
    Does anyone know where they will be specifically collecting?
  • Options

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5beb0dc892983/charlton-athletic-and-fans-for-foodbanks-join-forces-to-give-local-residents-a-helping-hand-over-christmas
    I just wanted to give this a bump to remind people of the Foodbank collections at the next two home games. Vital for many people at this time of year. From the Greenwich Foodbank website:
    TINNED FRUIT
    TINNED PEAS
    TINNED CARROTS
    LONGLIFE FRUIT JUICE
    TINNED RICE/CUSTARD

I think you just chuck it on the pitch at the beginning of the match...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    addix said:

TINNED FRUIT
    TINNED PEAS
    TINNED CARROTS
    LONGLIFE FRUIT JUICE
    TINNED RICE/CUSTARD

I think you just chuck it on the pitch at the beginning of the match...

That's what worries me! I don't want to be trying to get tinned fruit and veg in the ground as I have missed the collection points! LOL.
  • Options
    West Stand Car Park
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

West Stand Car Park

It's usually Macro's car park if you're calling on a fight on Charlton Life mate.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

West Stand Car Park

Big branded Foodbank Van!
  • Options
    Reported on Look East news program that the first foodbank in a school in the U.K. has opened at a primary school in Great Yarmouth.
    The head said that many children were coming to school hungry.
    A chap representing many thousands of head teachers around he U.K. said when contacted the head teachers said a shortage of staff was not their biggest problem but children coming to school hungry.
    Scandalous.
  • Options

Reported on Look East news program that the first foodbank in a school in the U.K. has opened at a primary school in Great Yarmouth.
    A chap representing many thousands of head teachers around he U.K. said when contacted the head teachers said a shortage of staff was not their biggest problem but children coming to school hungry.
    Scandalous.

Happens in London as well, but don't get me on that one again! (Think it's earlier in this thread).
  • Options

Addickted said:

Blame the tories blah blah blah we’ve heard it all before.

I will guarantee you, there are a section of people who are recipients of food banks because they would rather spend their money on tvs, smart phones, internet shopping etc that will happen whoever’s in government.

And I guarantee that the massive majority of them are using them because they and their families do not have the financial capacity to pay shop prices for sufficient food for them.
    My kids go to a school where a large number of families live in deprivation and I'm certain plenty of them rely on food banks. My daughter tells me that 80% of the school meals (which are usually cooked from scratch and are excellent) are untouched unless it's Friday fish and chips which everyone wolf's down. I'm genuinely not trying to score any points here but it's clear that a lot of kids who are 'starving' are ridiculously picky about the food that they'll eat.
    Kids are fussy eaters - full stop.

There was some interesting research lately that showed that for a lot of younger kids, the taste of vegetables etc was slightly metallic - which explains some kids resistance to them.

Back on point, for a country with the 5th largest economy in the world to have over 1 million food bank users is abhorent and utterly shameful.

But then you only have to look at the likes of Rees Mogg, BoJo and the loathsome IDS, to realise that these reptilian Tories (with the odd exception) have no compassion or feeling for the 'Underclass' that has been created by both austerity and giving big business the allowance to use tools such as Zero Hour contracts to drive people to the brink.
  • Options
    Hey Cardinal, I see they have got your cornflakes in the photo.
    Good effort mate with donating your time today.
  • Options

Scandalous.

If a family cannot prioritise their spending enough to give their children breakfast they need more help than just food banks. A nutritious bowl of porridge costs about 20p.
    I would say a lot of these hungry kids just can't be arsed to get up in time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018

Scandalous.

If a family cannot prioritise their spending enough to give their children breakfast they need more help than just food banks. A nutritious bowl of porridge costs about 20p.
    Indeed yet cuts to social services mean the chances of getting such help are diminished and there are children that will go hungry as a result so food banks provide a meagre safety net to mitigate this.

It is easy to say just 20p but some people don't have 20p and that is the reality of modern day Britain.

• Options

Scandalous.

Indeed yet cuts to social services mean the chances of getting such help are diminished and there are children that will go hungry as a result so food banks provide a meagre safety net to mitigate this.

It is easy to say just 20p but some people don't have 20p and that is the reality of modern day Britain.

But we don't hear of families being found starved to death. Through whichever means people get food. My idea is that they prioritise that food into giving the kids a breakfast.
  • Options

Scandalous.

But we don't hear of families being found starved to death. Through whichever means people get food. My idea is that they prioritise that food into giving the kids a breakfast.
    That is hardly a barometer for a decent society.
  • Options

Scandalous.

I know but a kid with something inside them can concentrate on school and try and get on in life.
  • Options

Scandalous.

I know but a kid with something inside them can concentrate on school and try and get on in life.
    Avoiding starvation and being well fed are hardly the same thing.
  • Options

Scandalous.

Avoiding starvation and being well fed are hardly the same thing.
    Of course not but once the child gets to school they will qualify for a free lunch. Breakfast is the important meal for parents to organise.
  • Options
    A lot of schools have these breakfast clubs, do the kids have to pay for the meal?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

A lot of schools have these breakfast clubs, do the kids have to pay for the meal?

Not if they are on free school meals, I think.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

I'm pretty sure they're free. My kids usually go to breakfast club and I don't think we pay for it.