Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Food banks

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

Fiiish said:

Modern day poverty in 2018 can be directly traced back to:

- Labour spending too much
    - Brown selling off the gold
    - PFI
    - Labour bailing out the banks
    - The war in Iraq
    - Blair's open door immigration
    - the huge increase of fake benefit claimaints and bogus asylum seekers during the Blair years
    - the policy of giving a council house to every teenage parent

Prove me wrong.

Now I'm confused A.

Did they deliver you a Daily Mail today instead of a Guardian?
    ...bollocks!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

The mental gymnastics some posters on this thread are going through to shift the blame to Labour or to create some false equivalency between the amount of kids turning up for school hungry this morning, because that's what we are talking about, and 10, 15, 20 years ago is astonishing.

None of this should be a surprise to anyone.

The Tories have stood on a platform of austerity and a narrative of demonising benefits claimants since 2010. If you were happy to vote for it in 2010, then vote for more in 2015 and then a little more last year people could at least have the honesty to accept it or acknowledge the impact their vote has had on the poorest in our society.

See also rising homelessness...

im not shifting the blame to anyone - but the notion that food banks and poverty in this country are a new thing that have just been caused by the tories i believe to be bollocks. lets remember the tories only got in power in 2010!.
    Then you go on to shift the blame.
    Look at the present shit state our country is in, it is down to the Tories and the polices of the Tory government, no one else.
    If as been said before we have had 25 plus years of poverty, Btw we haven't, (there will always be some poorer people) but the present levels of poverty is unprecedented in the modern world, its at Dickensian levels in some areas....the bottom line is that the Tories have had over 8 years to make it better, so what do they do, they make it worse for most people in this country, that cannot be argued, its not been fixed, its been broken and broken, by them almost to the point that it cannot be repaired. As @Bournemouth Addick said above, Tory voters have had plenty of time to understand what they are voting for. I cant change that, if only they would say, 'yep I voted for them, Ive bought into the tory vision of "I'm alright Jack', and I dont really give a toss about people less well off then me, but hey I give a couple of quid to Children In Need, so my conscious is clear' then at least I would have a bit of respect for them, however the constant defence of tory policies and attacking Labour is ridiculous, and I have nothing but contempt for anyones political view who voted for this Conservative government.
    Make no mistake the Tories caused this mess, no non else...no one.
    Could you name some of the areas you mention that are at "Dickensian" levels of poverty.
    I really cant believes that you would ask that, Ostriching at its finest. After all I've written you pick this part to highlight. That sums of the tory voter.
    Heres a microcosm of our society, get yer head round this little stat...this was compiled in 2017....in 2016, 4,751 people are estimated to be sleeping rough on any one night, since 2010 rough sleeping estimates show an increase of 169%.....well done the Tories, but hey you carry on putting your cross down next to them....!
    But you cannot just throw a number of 4,751 out there can you. If that is the basis of your argument then the number needs to be broken down to find out the real reasons they are on the streets.

If you take into account the population in the UK as of today stands at 66,731,870 the number of homeless people is a very small percentage.

"Dickensian" levels of poverty are no electricity, no gas, no running water, no heat and no sewage, I am struggling to think of an area in the UK that meets the above.
    Good grief!
    The last time I looked none of this is available when sleeping rough, but if you want to believe this government have done well you carry on voting for them and be part of the problem.
    Now, now, you are twisting words. Your original quote above was "but the present levels of poverty is unprecedented in the modern world, its at Dickensian levels in some areas" So you were referring to areas where a lot of people are suffering, not individuals in parks and shop doorways.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

It's a disgrace that churches, mosques, synagogues etc. didn't step up to the plate long ago.

Charity is the churches job, not the tax payers.

Churches do try and do their bit. Perhaps not that effectively but they do.

https://cafod.org.uk/ https://www.houseofmercygravesend.com/ One international charity and one local one as examples.
    It's good that they do their bit (if indeed they do, I don't claim to know)... but it's not the remotest bit their actual 'job' in the same way that it is the government's.
    So what is the churches job?
    I don't know, something about a guy with a beard?

It's not a point about religion, but we all pay the government plenty of money to support those in poverty in our country, amongst other things. I for one don't give The Church (or any religious institution) a penny, so don't have any demands of them.
  • Options

Greenie said:

The mental gymnastics some posters on this thread are going through to shift the blame to Labour or to create some false equivalency between the amount of kids turning up for school hungry this morning, because that's what we are talking about, and 10, 15, 20 years ago is astonishing.

The Tories have stood on a platform of austerity and a narrative of demonising benefits claimants since 2010. If you were happy to vote for it in 2010, then vote for more in 2015 and then a little more last year people could at least have the honesty to accept it or acknowledge the impact their vote has had on the poorest in our society.

im not shifting the blame to anyone - but the notion that food banks and poverty in this country are a new thing that have just been caused by the tories i believe to be bollocks. lets remember the tories only got in power in 2010!.
    Look at the present shit state our country is in, it is down to the Tories and the polices of the Tory government, no one else.
    If as been said before we have had 25 plus years of poverty, Btw we haven't, (there will always be some poorer people) but the present levels of poverty is unprecedented in the modern world, its at Dickensian levels in some areas....the bottom line is that the Tories have had over 8 years to make it better, so what do they do, they make it worse for most people in this country, that cannot be argued, its not been fixed, its been broken and broken, by them almost to the point that it cannot be repaired. As @Bournemouth Addick said above, Tory voters have had plenty of time to understand what they are voting for. I cant change that, if only they would say, 'yep I voted for them, Ive bought into the tory vision of "I'm alright Jack', and I dont really give a toss about people less well off then me, but hey I give a couple of quid to Children In Need, so my conscious is clear' then at least I would have a bit of respect for them, however the constant defence of tory policies and attacking Labour is ridiculous, and I have nothing but contempt for anyones political view who voted for this Conservative government.
    Does poverty not exist in other developed countries? Have you spent any time travelling in the US for example?

According to recent OECD figures, the UK has similar levels of absolute poverty than its comparable developed world counterparts (defined in terms of earning less than 60% of median income) but does have relatively higher levels of food insecurity (again well below US levels however). This apparent anomaly can be interpreted in various ways partly depending on your starting political viewpoint I suspect.

I appreciate that there is a deep visceral hatred for the Tories dating back for many to well before the Cameron/May era, but describing the situation as 'unprecedented in the modern world' is a bit extreme to say the least.
    Deflection tactics again...
    No one can deny the absolute mess the Tories have made of this country in the last 8 years.
    If you want to go back in time, I also remember 1988 when we had the last financial crash, it cost me a fortune, who was in power then? oh yes the Tories...its what they do, rob the less well off and give it to the greedy.
  • Options
    One of the reasons I voted for Janet Daby in the Lewisham East by-election was because she helped establish and run the Downham food bank.
    It is a strange world where something so tragic is to be admired.
  • Options
    Beaten by the French yet again.

"An estimated 29,000 people are homeless in and around Paris - up to 8,000 are thought to sleep rough on the French capital's streets". (BBC)
  • Options
    Addickted said:

"An estimated 29,000 people are homeless in and around Paris - up to 8,000 are thought to sleep rough on the French capital's streets". (BBC)

See my message above about France, I have seen some of these areas in Paris.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

One of the reasons I voted for Janet Daby in the Lewisham East by-election was because she helped establish and run the Downham food bank.
    It is a strange world where something so tragic is to be admired.

individual labour mps come out with great ideas

the idea of police not being able to knock people off a moped after stealing by quite a senior labour figure does ring alarm bells.
  • Options

Addickted said:

And what has that got to do with our country and the Tories?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't worry - all the banks are moving to Frankfurt :)
  • Options
    Well worth reading this report from last year by the Joseph Rowntree Organisation... https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/uk-poverty-2017

They conclude that poverty, particularly amongst children and pensioners had been falling for 20 years, but has recently risen. It provides three reasons: rising rents, state support falling in real terms, and the continued rise in employment not reducing poverty. At least some of this can be blamed on the government, but greedy employment and landlord practices surely don't help (which maybe the government can help with).

It's all very well comparing us to other countries... Fact is, I don't want us to be going backwards and undoing decades of good work
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Does poverty not exist in other developed countries? Have you spent any time travelling in the US for example?

According to recent OECD figures, the UK has similar levels of absolute poverty than its comparable developed world counterparts (defined in terms of earning less than 60% of median income) but does have relatively higher levels of food insecurity (again well below US levels however). This apparent anomaly can be interpreted in various ways partly depending on your starting political viewpoint I suspect.

I appreciate that there is a deep visceral hatred for the Tories dating back for many to well before the Cameron/May era, but describing the situation as 'unprecedented in the modern world' is a bit extreme to say the least.
    No one can deny the absolute mess the Tories have made of this country in the last 8 years.
    If you want to go back in time, I also remember 1988 when we had the last financial crash, it cost me a fortune, who was in power then? oh yes the Tories...its what they do, rob the less well off and give it to the greedy.
    I am 61 (born 1957), my mum & dad never had a pot to piss in. We lived in the upstairs part of my Grans house which was mum, dad, sister and me. I shared a bedroom with my sister until she was 14 which is not legal now. The toilet was outside in the garden. There was not a bathroom in the house, bathing consisted of a tin bath in front of a coal fire in Grans living room or a trip to Woolwich Public Baths which in the late 50's early 60's was not know for its swimming, its where poor people paid a shilling to have a bath. I would share a bath with my dad because he could not afford to pay for two shillings for two separate baths.

Mum or dad never drove or owned a car, we never went on holiday, when we finally got offered a council flat it had single glazed metal windows and you used to wake up to ice on the inside on the glass.

I hardly saw my dad in my early childhood as he had to work six days a week to put food on the table, my mum worked full time as well.

Poverty is nothing new, it has always been in our society.

Interestingly I note above you state you lost a fortune in the financial crash of 1988, fortune is not word most people are able to band about as a comment so you seem to have had it pretty good at some point in your life, maybe even under a Tory Government?
    The level of poverty has grown to unprecedented levels in modern Britain. We should all be ashamed, even you.
    Re me losing a fortune, its all relative, it was fortune to me. I will explain, I bought my house in 88 then the Tories created the financial crash, interest rates went through the roof, I couldn't afford my Mortgage, so I had to get rid of the house and had to find £15k to pay the debt off, this was a fortune to me at the time,so no the tories did nothing for me and millions of others trying to survive. They dont care, its what they do and have always done, prey on the less well off to satisfy their greed.
    Your reluctance to pull your head out of the sand and see what the party that you voted for have done to our country is astonishing. But keep clutching at those straws if it helps you justify your choice.
    As I say anyone who voted Tory is part of the problem and is culpable for the state of our society, from stabbings to food banks to unemployment to poverty, I could go on, because they worship money and greed above anything else. They knew the form when they voted Tory.
    Greenie said:

Addickted said:

And what has that got to do with our country and the Tories?
    You said that the level of of poverty in the UK was unprecedented in the modern world. Its not, there are a lot of countries in the modern world a lot worse off than the UK none of which are governed by our Tory party.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I am 61 (born 1957), my mum & dad never had a pot to piss in. We lived in the upstairs part of my Grans house which was mum, dad, sister and me. I shared a bedroom with my sister until she was 14 which is not legal now. The toilet was outside in the garden. There was not a bathroom in the house, bathing consisted of a tin bath in front of a coal fire in Grans living room or a trip to Woolwich Public Baths which in the late 50's early 60's was not know for its swimming, its where poor people paid a shilling to have a bath. I would share a bath with my dad because he could not afford to pay for two shillings for two separate baths.

Mum or dad never drove or owned a car, we never went on holiday, when we finally got offered a council flat it had single glazed metal windows and you used to wake up to ice on the inside on the glass.

I hardly saw my dad in my early childhood as he had to work six days a week to put food on the table, my mum worked full time as well.

Poverty is nothing new, it has always been in our society.

Interestingly I note above you state you lost a fortune in the financial crash of 1988, fortune is not word most people are able to band about as a comment so you seem to have had it pretty good at some point in your life, maybe even under a Tory Government?
    The level of poverty has grown to unprecedented levels in modern Britain.
    Be nice if you could back this up with some pretty graphs or actual facts...

• Options

when we was at primary school 1996 - 2001

we used to have a harvest where we brought in canned foods etc, where did that go to food banks?.

i believe it was the labour party in power 1997 - 2010.

not saying things haven't got worse but i don't think its as easy as to just blame the tories the whole way the country is run is a bit of a joke through justice systems, wars we didn't need to get involved in, benefit cheats, housing cheats, health tourists.

Pretty sure that used to go abroad / Africa.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Could you name some of the areas you mention that are at "Dickensian" levels of poverty.
    I really cant believes that you would ask that, Ostriching at its finest. After all I've written you pick this part to highlight. That sums of the tory voter.
    Heres a microcosm of our society, get yer head round this little stat...this was compiled in 2017....in 2016, 4,751 people are estimated to be sleeping rough on any one night, since 2010 rough sleeping estimates show an increase of 169%.....well done the Tories, but hey you carry on putting your cross down next to them....!
    So, to be clear, you can't name any actual areas that are at Dickensian levels of poverty
  • Options

when we was at primary school 1996 - 2001

we used to have a harvest where we brought in canned foods etc, where did that go to food banks?.

i believe it was the labour party in power 1997 - 2010.

not saying things haven't got worse but i don't think its as easy as to just blame the tories the whole way the country is run is a bit of a joke through justice systems, wars we didn't need to get involved in, benefit cheats, housing cheats, health tourists.

Pretty sure that used to go abroad / Africa.
    think it was distrubuted to charities, i dont donate to food banks but at xmas in recent years i have paid 2 places at crisis not a lot but gives some one needy a bit of xmas cheer.

link for any others that want to donate https://www.crisis.org.uk/get-involved/reserve-a-place-at-crisis-at-christmas?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4b2HwYn33gIVrr_tCh2m1wBzEAAYASAAEgKgm_D_BwE
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Fiiish said:

Modern day poverty in 2018 can be directly traced back to:

- Labour spending too much
    - Brown selling off the gold
    - PFI
    - Labour bailing out the banks
    - The war in Iraq
    - Blair's open door immigration
    - the huge increase of fake benefit claimaints and bogus asylum seekers during the Blair years
    - the policy of giving a council house to every teenage parent

Prove me wrong.

The people liking that post, magic!

I think poverty has actually dropped under the Tories, using their new definition of poverty and not common sense...
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Greenie said:

Croydon said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

So, to be clear, you can't name any actual areas that are at Dickensian levels of poverty
    Theres nothing more to say on this, is there, you all know where I'm coming from, but as usual the Tory boys will deflect from what is in front of them with small minded attacks on a throwaway line, instead of the big problem of poverty and food banks etc, in an attempt to try and justify who/what they voted for, and as such contributed to the shit cart that their masters have created.
    No one is deflecting or saying that food banks are the cause of anyone other than the Tories. All people are saying is that are not new, they did not appear in the last 10 years and they are not our masters a Tory creation. You're the one making bold claims and then not backing it up. So I thought I'd give you a hand...

https://fullfact.org/economy/poverty-uk-guide-facts-and-figures/
  • Options
    Saveloy
  • Options

cafcpolo said:

Greenie said:

Croydon said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Theres nothing more to say on this, is there, you all know where I'm coming from, but as usual the Tory boys will deflect from what is in front of them with small minded attacks on a throwaway line, instead of the big problem of poverty and food banks etc, in an attempt to try and justify who/what they voted for, and as such contributed to the shit cart that their masters have created.
    No one is deflecting or saying that food banks are the cause of anyone other than the Tories. All people are saying is that are not new, they did not appear in the last 10 years and they are not our masters a Tory creation. You're the one making bold claims and then not backing it up. So I thought I'd give you a hand...

https://fullfact.org/economy/poverty-uk-guide-facts-and-figures/
    You can keep your facts and reasoning to yourself. We don't like your sort around here.
    Says the bloke that spends half his life up chimneys, I thought that was abolished years ago, bloody Tories :smiley:
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Croydon said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that over the last 10 years, for 95%+ of people, they are financially worse off. But there is a myriad of reasons why that is and why say 5% of people aren't (and it's not simply the big earners) and it isn't simply due to The Tories being in power for a while, although without doubt they haven't exactly helped the situation at times.

The whole system needs a clean slate and starting again, a lot of the problems today stem back many many years. I remember saying at the time when child tax credits/working tax credits came out that all this would do is artificially fix things in the short term and cause more issues in the longer term, you've simply passed the burden of salary to the state. The issue is as a society we all want cheap, just look at retail in this country, if retailers, big and small, suddenly had to pay something more like £12.50 an hour like it should be they'd mostly be out of business, those that have survived so far anyway.

Many people in the 70's (and no doubt other times) went without food and other things on a fairly regular basis, of course back then there wasn't even foodbanks to fall back on, you either relied on a friendly/supportive neighbour/family member or you simply went hungry and I'm not aware there are any stats on that to compare to modern day which is a shame.

I wish we didn't need food banks, but I'd rather they were there than we went back 50 years and simply let people go hungry. Not to say we shouldn't try to eradicate the need for them but I haven't seen any government or party come up with a coherent argument as to how they will so far.

The only reasonable answer I can come up with is sadly akin to what RD suggests! That is remove almost all benefits, tax credits, state pension etc and simply pay a basic living wage from Government to every single Adult from 18 to death. Thereafter any work you do/money you earn is all taxed.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Rob7Lee said:

Greenie said:

Croydon said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that over the last 10 years, for 95%+ of people, they are financially worse off. But there is a myriad of reasons why that is and why say 5% of people aren't (and it's not simply the big earners) and it isn't simply due to The Tories being in power for a while, although without doubt they haven't exactly helped the situation at times.

The whole system needs a clean slate and starting again, a lot of the problems today stem back many many years. I remember saying at the time when child tax credits/working tax credits came out that all this would do is artificially fix things in the short term and cause more issues in the longer term, you've simply passed the burden of salary to the state. The issue is as a society we all want cheap, just look at retail in this country, if retailers, big and small, suddenly had to pay something more like £12.50 an hour like it should be they'd mostly be out of business, those that have survived so far anyway.

Many people in the 70's (and no doubt other times) went without food and other things on a fairly regular basis, of course back then there wasn't even foodbanks to fall back on, you either relied on a friendly/supportive neighbour/family member or you simply went hungry and I'm not aware there are any stats on that to compare to modern day which is a shame.

I wish we didn't need food banks, but I'd rather they were there than we went back 50 years and simply let people go hungry. Not to say we shouldn't try to eradicate the need for them but I haven't seen any government or party come up with a coherent argument as to how they will so far.

The only reasonable answer I can come up with is sadly akin to what RD suggests! That is remove almost all benefits, tax credits, state pension etc and simply pay a basic living wage from Government to every single Adult from 18 to death. Thereafter any work you do/money you earn is all taxed.
    How can 95% of people be 'worse off' when house prices are up approx. 40% over that period, the FTSE is up 70% (good for pension funds), real interest rates are negative, employment is high etc.?

Some may 'feel' worse off in part because the wealth of say the very visible top 0.01% has exploded over the same period, but that's a relative concept and importantly a global phenomenon too.
  • Options

Using my mk one eyeball as opposed to stats, i'm confident rough sleeping has risen considerably in at least the last five years. Anyone that works on the edges of the city (Aldgate, Farringdon, Shoreditch areas) must agree with this.

Worked in that area for a few months last year. Was utterly shocked by the volume of homeless people.