Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crowdfunding investments

2»

Comments

• Options

Says the Tottenham supporter..

Haha. What I was getting at was its easier to use contactless than go to an ATM to draw out cash.

(I didnt flag you btw - whoever flagged that withdraw it FFS, totally OTT for something said in jest!)
  • Options
    edited November 2018
  • Options

Monzo is a relatively well-established 'start up' which has raised money from both traditional and crowdfunded sources, but on average I would expect that crowdfunding retail investors will be shown an adverse selection of potential investments which have likely exhausted traditional (and generally more sought after) sources for reasons which would likely lead one to want to steer clear.

So that’s a steer clear from Monzo or from other crowdfunding rounds?

Stripe putting a load of cash in makes me more confident in them long term as well.
    MrOneLung said:

Can you really only draw out 200 a month from a cash machine ?

£5000 a month, or £200 a month overseas fee free

• Options
    In fact here’s the limits

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Rothko said:

Monzo is a relatively well-established 'start up' which has raised money from both traditional and crowdfunded sources, but on average I would expect that crowdfunding retail investors will be shown an adverse selection of potential investments which have likely exhausted traditional (and generally more sought after) sources for reasons which would likely lead one to want to steer clear.

So that’s a steer clear from Monzo or from other crowdfunding rounds?

Stripe putting a load of cash in makes me more confident in them long term as well.
    MrOneLung said:

Can you really only draw out 200 a month from a cash machine ?

£5000 a month, or £200 a month overseas fee free

No, would avoid those that can only raise capital from crowdfunding sources (not true at all of Monzo).

They’re not much better quality wise than the rubbish touted on Dragon’s Den.
  • Options
    Got a Monzo card, never used it. Not sure why.

Got a golden ticket as well if anyone wants a card.
  • Options
    Open to all account holders now, and they've already raised £7.5m in 6 minutes
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I'm a bit torn on it, feel like Monzo is quite low-risk but is also low-reward. I would say that I'm leaning towards fancying it - mainly because it's a bit more 'fun' than the usual S&S ISA or whatever, but also because I do back them to be successful long-term & I'm not fussed on any short-term return on it.

Is the general feeling on this thread a 'no' though? I know that football forums aren't the place to go for FSA approved advice, but what's the gut feeling generally from those who are better-informed than me?
  • Options
    about £6m left in the pot.

General feeling was it's a goer, but you'll have to wait for your returns.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

How long?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 or 3 years probably for the IPO.

All sold in 2 hours and 42 minutes, which is a UK Crowdfunding record.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Rothko said:

How long?
    until the company gets listed, and you'll be able to sell your shares, or until some one buys out monzo, whichever comes first.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    JohnBoyUK said:

Haha. What I was getting at was its easier to use contactless than go to an ATM to draw out cash.

(I didnt flag you btw - whoever flagged that withdraw it FFS, totally OTT for something said in jest!)
    Ha ha. Did someone actually get upset by that simple tongue in cheek comment. Thank god you could see through it JBUK.
    You know what, I have been looking/posting on this site for 10/15 years now, and people are beginning to get more and more precious.
    Getting a bit fucked off with it if the truth be known.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

EastStand said:

Rothko said:

Rob7Lee said:

You’ll need to wait for a return.

I expect the big banks to catch up and you have others like Starling.

It took Barclays three years to develop their own card freezing technology.

Starling are interesting, seem more interested in building the stack and then allowing people to white label that technology.
    I actually chatted to one of the product managers over at Barclay's online dept at a work thing a couple a weeks ago - they're shitting bricks over companies like Monzo :joy:
    As they should. The main high street bank monopoly has had it too easy for too long with appalling customer care. I dumped them a long time ago.
    I’ve no idea about monzo or what they do but there is these days what was traditional banking business and customers that the banks probably no longer really want to do or have because it’s either too much aggro, the regulations are a pain, or financial crime laws mean the risks are too high for the rewards. Sometimes rapid growth in customers and business isn’t necessarily a sign of a successful business but if they’ve got a nice app then whoopy do, they must be good
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Ha ha. Did someone actually get upset by that simple tongue in cheek comment. Thank god you could see through it JBUK.
    You know what, I have been looking/posting on this site for 10/15 years now, and people are beginning to get more and more precious.
    @Robbo on the wing mate Most of the flags that get given come from people scrolling on their phone and acccidently hitting on the button. Really wouldn’t read anything into it
  • Options
    Monzo obviously have no history and no high street presence. Without that they will not attract the over age 40 customer base. Concept is good but niche, and what ever they can do so can the more traditional high street players. I can see no reason why this should succeed, as anything other than a short term flash in the pan. Look how many small energy suppliers are going bust. In my view this will not make you rich.
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

Rothko said:

How long?
    until the company gets listed, and you'll be able to sell your shares, or until some one buys out monzo, whichever comes first.
    Thanks, I get that. I just wondered how long that was expected to be.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

Rothko said:

How long?
    Thanks, I get that. I just wondered how long that was expected to be.
    no idea, could be years.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

@Robbo on the wing mate Most of the flags that get given come from people scrolling on their phone and acccidently hitting on the button. Really wouldn’t read anything into it
    AKFA, dont spoil it for me mate, I love a rant after a couple of sherries.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Ha, and as for the flags, left myself wide open.
    Nice work Henry and Co.
    Schoolboy error.