Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burton v Charlton | Tue 27 Nov | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 27th November 2018 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ross Joyce (Cleveland)

Introduction

If October was our poorest month this season then November has to have been one of the best – Despite having played just three league games this month, the Addicks have a 100% record and are once again looking upwards on their quest to return to the Championship at the third attempt.

Saturday saw Charlton putting in a professional display as they despatched Bristol Rovers 3-1, that win against the Pirates moves us to within six points of the automatic spots. It means that tomorrows trip to Burton Albion could well be a chance for us to take advantage of our rivals, two of whom face each other, it’s an opportunity we must take, there ain’t gonna be many!!

The Opposition
Name: Burton Albion | Manager: Nigel Clough
Ground: Pirelli Stadium

If there is one bonus to playing in the third tier then it’s an opportunity to play some sides that we either rarely face or have never faced at all – So far this season its been a chance to visit Accrington Stanley for the first time, whilst in the FA Cup we saw a first meeting against Mansfield Town since 1978.

Tomorrows clash against Burton Albion is yet another first to an extent as these two sides have never met in the League and have never met at the Pirelli Stadium and so will be another ground for many a fan to tick off, having spent the majority of their history as a Non-League side (the two clubs met at the Valley for an FA Cup clash in 1958); Burton have risen to the giddy heights of the Championship, there they’ve spent the last two years impressively fighting with a minute budget against some of England’s most historic clubs… Relegation after the second season would see a return to League One where they will look to avoid a Yeovil and so endure a double relegation!!

Because before a ball had been kicked, a second relegation looked likely – With a small budget (even at this level), club legend: Nigel Clough has had a struggle on his hands to attract players, that ship appears to have been steadied though and the Brewers now find themselves in the congestion of mid table, with just two defeats since mid October our opponents tomorrow could slowly be clicking into gear.

Charlton Team News
When the squad was announced against Bristol Rovers am sure there were many a fan worrying about the absence of Billy Clarke, after the match; Lee Bowyer would confirm that the midfielder is still some way from match sharpness so you’d expect his absence to remain until next Saturdays clash in the FA Cup… Saturday saw Jamie Ward scoring his first goal in Charlton colours yet as with past midweek clashes you’d expect him to be rested with Tariqe Fosu coming into the side

Steer
Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Solly
Aribo | Bielik | Lapslie
Fosu
Taylor | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Stevenson | Ward | Morgan | Marshall | Ajose

Prediction
Having been a Championship side last year, you’d honestly expect better from a Burton Albion side who under Nigel Clough will be difficult to beat – This has been an impressive month though for Lee Bowyer and his Addicks side and see no reason why another three points cant be recorded against a side who lost heavily at Blackpool on Saturday

Comments

• called 3-1 on saturday, so ill go for a 2-2 draw which ill be happy with
  • Please don't play Bielik and Lapslie together in midfield again. That way drudgery lies
  • Agree with your line up Sage... Would agree with Leuth as well in hoping that we dont play Bielik and Lapslie in midfield tomorrow - I would have gone with Reeves in my line up but bit hesitant with Bowyer's comments about him.

Liam Boyce will be another of theirs to watch out for as well as Quinn (who I hope isnt as good as he used to be)
  • Another new ground to watch Charlton at tomorrow and proper terracing one again. Some decent pubs up there and looking forward to those and something on the pitch from a tough place to get anything at. A point would be a good return.
  • I also think Bowyer has to choose between Solly and Dijksteel and play either Sarr or Stevenson at left-back. We currently can't attack down our left properly
  • edited November 2018
    Tight game, we’ll have just enough to make it a perfect month and see bowyer get manager of the month.

0-1 Bauer
  • Hard fought draw .. and I'll be pleased with that

Burton Albion 1 v CAFC 1
  • 2 - 1 to us, Taylor and Pearce with the goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• It'll be interesting is there's any squad rotation tomorrow (other than Taylor for presumably Ajose). Marshall might come in for Lapslie, if Reeves isn't fit to start
  • Comfortable away 4-0.
  • Albie Morgan was on the bench on Saturday presumably because Reeves isn't fit.

Straight swap between him and Lapslie? Would add creativity.
  • 3pm kick off?
  • JaShea99 said:

3pm kick off?

Cheers.
  • Taylor back to replace Ajose
    Marshall to replace Lapslie.
    2.1 Charlton
  • Morgan and Clarke both start for the under 23s today so will not be included in the squad tomorrow
  • Morgan and Clarke both start for the under 23s today so will not be included in the squad tomorrow

Clarke looked nowhere near ready last Tuesday, Morgan also playing for the U23s suggests that Reeves will be in the squad tomorrow
  • With Hackett-Fairchild not playing today for the U23s, he will almost certainly be in the squad tomorrow night.
  • Sage said:

With Hackett-Fairchild not playing today for the U23s, he will almost certainly be in the squad tomorrow night.

He's looked properly, irredeemably useless every time I've seen him, and I attend Checkatrade games so I've seen quite a bit of him. God knows what they see in him
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

Sage said:

With Hackett-Fairchild not playing today for the U23s, he will almost certainly be in the squad tomorrow night.

He's looked properly, irredeemably useless every time I've seen him, and I attend Checkatrade games so I've seen quite a bit of him. God knows what they see in him
    Henry on his way to see you.
  • Leuth said:

Sage said:

I liked the look of him when he first came on the scene in last season's
    friendlies but he has not improved.
  • Does anyone know if away tickets can be purchased on the night. I have a friend in Shropshire who wants to come and see the mighty Addicks!
  • Leuth said:

Sage said:

About to sign a new deal with us apparently so they must see something. Cant think what though!
  • Wouldn't be surprised if we won - but would definitely take a draw (2-2)?
  • Does anyone know if away tickets can be purchased on the night. I have a friend in Shropshire who wants to come and see the mighty Addicks!

I'd be amazed if they weren't available, the match won't sell out, and it's not exactly a grudge match where no tickets will be available on the night, on police orders!
  • edited November 2018

Does anyone know if away tickets can be purchased on the night. I have a friend in Shropshire who wants to come and see the mighty Addicks!

FANS will be able to pay cash-on-the turnstiles for terrace admission to tomorrow’s home game against Charlton (kick off 7.45pm).

Charlton fans can pay in cash for the away terrace - the Russell Roof Tiles sand.
  • They have about as many injuries as us. Must be confident, 0-2 win to close the gap above
  • ross1 said:

Does anyone know if away tickets can be purchased on the night. I have a friend in Shropshire who wants to come and see the mighty Addicks!

FANS will be able to pay cash-on-the turnstiles for terrace admission to tomorrow’s home game against Charlton (kick off 7.45pm).

Charlton fans can pay in cash for the away terrace - the Russell Roof Tiles sand.
    Dammit I was just thinking I quite fancy this for no real reason , now it’s getting easier, does anyone know how close to the ground we can park?