Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bristol Rovers - Post Match Thread

1235»

Comments

• Options

Great game great spirit great result, as a side note can we ditch the rangers shit in north upper

Yes, yes, yes and what? I must have been in the toilet.
    About 30 people few youngters and some fat bloke singing the 50 pence song, and then as others didn’t join in he started what are you lot all fucking Irish, were Charlton not jocks so slow down.
    Weird I sit in J Block about 10-15 rows in front of drummer and never heard it haha.

I did hear the new Christmas song get started
    Hardly gonna make it up am I as you say your in j block I’m in g a few blocks over.
    Never said u made it up did I??? just that it never travelled
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

The game has been adequately summarised by others.

The base of diamond position is a conundrum. Bielik is a fine centre-back but yesterday showed insufficient energy to be effective in midfield (I don't buy that a defensive midfielder just hovers around outside his penalty area). He enjoyed a lot of space early on but when Rovers eventually closed him he struggled. He did win plenty of headers but currently it doesn't look like he's got the natural fitness to get round the park (after all, he's an injury-prone centre-back).

That said, Bielik may well be our best solution in the absence of Cullen and Pratley. He's young and very inexperienced and may well develop with each match. As one of the best players, it's very tempting to get him into the team. A lot of things can change and perhaps the return of Page might see us go to 3-5-2. Or maybe Reeves or Clarke will be played at the base of the diamond. It will be interesting to see if we find a decent solution in the next month or so.

As @Redrobo has said, I’d really like to see Dijksteel at the base of the diamond, we could quite easily head back to a 3-5-2 when Page is back but I would like to see us stick with the diamond and Dijksteel for a few games. It’s his natural position, he has the athleticism and we know he can now protect the full back area too.

Steer
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Dijksteel
    Reeves Aribo
    Ward
    Taylor Grant

On yesterday’s game, I really enjoyed parts of it, specifically the tactical side and of course the goals. Tactically Bristol Rovers sat off us and let us have the ball in defence and build from the keeper, I believe they were very conscious of the ball in behind with Ajose and Grant both players who want to play off the last defender, we then have a good third man run from Ward too. I think that this is what made the game a bit hard to watch and get into and why we had to battle for so long.

I don’t think we played too well overall, but it’s important we got the win. Certain players weren’t quite at the races whereas others were solid like Pearce and Bauer at the back. Ward for me was our best player and by far better than he was the other week against Mansfield.

We missed Taylor, that was obvious. We of course missed Cullen and unfortunately we don’t have much width without Page, and Dijksteel being at right back. I liked the fact that Bowyer went with a flat four at the end with Fosu and Marshall on the wings. It shows that Bows recognises that we might have to do that at times this season, and we do have the options to. With wingers, we are dangerous, especially if we put crosses into the box, look how many times we have scored this season from a cross, either in the air or along the ground from the byline.

Burton will be different test where they will come at us more on Tuesday. They have a tight pitch so we will need to stay compact but also play our football with a quicker tempo to move the ball around them. Our counter attacking may be our best threat on Tuesday, it’ll be interesting. I expect a few changes, Reeves, Fosu and Taylor to come into the side, possibly Marshall but that is maybe less likely.

Steer
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Solly
    Bielik
    Reeves Aribo
    Fosu
    Taylor Grant
  • Options
    I think a few on here are overrating Djiksteel a little bit. His strength is being very difficult to get past and if you do he will still catch up and recover the ball. His weakness is knowing what to do with the ball once he's' got it. Also have you ever seen him head the ball? Bileik is more suited to the base of the diamond atm.
  • Options

Great game great spirit great result, as a side note can we ditch the rangers shit in north upper

About 30 people few youngters and some fat bloke singing the 50 pence song, and then as others didn’t join in he started what are you lot all fucking Irish, were Charlton not jocks so slow down.
    Weird I sit in J Block about 10-15 rows in front of drummer and never heard it haha.

Hardly gonna make it up am I as you say your in j block I’m in g a few blocks over.
    He's offering you out mate. You ain't just going to take it? Get over to Makro. I'll hold your coat.
  • Options
    I always thought Dijksteel was a defensive midfielder?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Croydon said:

Thought you meant the Ole Ole Ole song which, in my opinion, should also be binned.
    Its not Ole its Allez
    Whatever it is, it's shite.
    Like the first line. How does the rest of the song go?
  • Options
    Just worry if we keep winning like this, Roland might put the brakes on and slow down the sale.
  • Options

it was the comment of weird i didn't hear it i wouldn't expect you to hear it as you are over the other side of the stand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just worry if we keep winning like this, Roland might put the brakes on and slow down the sale.

Blimey, any slower and well be going backwards to when he'll be buying the club again
  • Options
    A patchy game. We weren't great at all. I think Rovers defence was good - they had Karlan in their pocket much of the game. The reason they're in trouble is that their forwards are not great, but I'm sure I'm not the only one to have spotted their goalie being poor. He could have done better with all three of our goals. Not sure what the needle was between him and Pearce that led to his booking, but safe to say the third goal was down to Bonham playing rush goalie without paying enough attention. Good work by Fosu and Grant for that one and glad Karlan kept his nerve.
    I thought there were several un-Charlton things today, which despite our poor performance, gives me some hope for this season (not too much though). Firstly, Steer cleared quickly, Ward got the ball and scored. When does that ever happen to us? Secondly, Ward. I can't remember when we last had a player who could do a bit of "game management" well.
    Lastly, in the 94th minute, with all the action happening in our area, we break and finish the game off.
    Next thing you know we'll be winning cup ties...
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    1st time I've seen us win this season and I thought it was a really enjoyable game. Mainly due to the fact that both sides were quite open in midfield. Two fantastic goals from ward and their lad were worth the entrance fee alone, as they say! Was convinced rovers would equalise late on, so was such a relief when Grant sealed the game. Buzzing at the final whistle, it been a while since I saw us win like that. COYA!
  • Options

Croydon said:

Croydon said:

Thought you meant the Ole Ole Ole song which, in my opinion, should also be binned.
    Its not Ole its Allez
    Like the first line. How does the rest of the song go?
    I think it's -

On Saturdays we follow,
    South London's Red and White.
    And now we've got Lee Bowyer,
    We're Fucking dynamite.

Sam Bartram, Jimmy Seed,
    They won the FA Cup.
    And I know you won't believe us,
    but the reds are going up.

Allez Allez Allez.

Personally, I think it's some of the worst lyrics ever put together and it is far too Palacey for my liking.
  • Options

it was the comment of weird i didn't hear it i wouldn't expect you to hear it as you are over the other side of the stand.
    I read your initial post which said 30 people abd a fat bloke, then i saw baldys comment which said the fat bloke by the drummer,so I assumed u was talking about the same fat bloke which is why I said I sit about 10-15 rows infront of the drummer, cos most songs like the christmas one start it that area, you and baldy were obviously talking about different fat blokes haha
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Taylor was really good on the commentary on Saturday. Seems very well grounded and unusually articulate for a footballer. Management potential, I’d say, but if not he’d make a good pundit too because I think that was his first time co commentating and he was a natural.

Is there anything this boy can’t do?
  • Options

ross1 said:
    Taylor was really good on the commentary on Saturday. Seems very well grounded and unusually articulate for a footballer. Management potential, I’d say, but if not he’d make a good pundit too because I think that was his first time co commentating and he was a natural.

Is there anything this boy can’t do?
    Did you see my comment on page 4?

• Options
    Kevin Nolan's match report.
    Treading gingerly at times, Charlton managed to avoid the banana skin optimistically placed in their path by Bristol Rovers and made scruffy work of beating their relegation-haunted visitors.

It wasn’t exactly “winning ugly” as Lee Bowyer described it but it was no work of art either. The issue remained awkwardly unresolved until Karlan Grant made the points safe in the last of four added minutes.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-dont-produce-work-of-art-against-the-gas-but-still-deserve-praise-for-grinding-their-way-to-three-points/
  • Options

The first time I saw him play for the U23 that was his position, But Bowyer must have doubts about him playing there for the 1st team. A strong tackler but Lee see him on the training pitch and so far has other players ahead of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

Croydon said:

Its not Ole its Allez
    But is it Spanish shite or French shite?

Related to that, the Toyota MR2 is called the MR in France.
  • Options

Yes, that's his preferred postion.
  • Options
    In which I do not remember him playing for the first team.
  • Options

In which I do not remember him playing for the first team.

He hasn't.