Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Bristol Rovers - Post Match Thread

Comments

• How did we not draw that 2-2? Absolutely nailed on draw for the entire second half. Maybe this is our season?
  • I particularly liked ‘Wardy did well he looked a bit sharper today’. Couldn’t agree more, MoM for me.
  • LouisMend said:
    Cheers for asking Lee the question for me Louis

Makes sense from Bowyer to do that - More relieved that there wasnt a set back in his recovery
  • Sponsored links:

• Whenever the opposition keeping goes up I'm hoping we break and we score into an empty goal. Finally it happened.

We didn't seem to be at the races today but scored three, created other chances (Lapslie, Ajose) and won.

Missed Taylor obviously but also Cullen. Bielik not at his best but he's not a playmaker.

Ward the irritating so and so he always was against us. The touch to bring down Steer's pass was sublime and the lob wasn't bad either.

We seemed to lose shape and couldn't work out Rovers change in formation.

Had Ward for first goal and 3-1 so no contribution to @bobmunro s pension fund this week.

Bristol Rovers have a distinctive kit, it doesn't clash with ours, why wear yellow? They deserved to lose for that alone but they weren't all that.

2-1 up heading into final 10 minutes I got flashbacks to Oxford last season because of their kit haha
  • PWR

A curate's egg mashed into a dogs dinner of a game. With a fun finish and three juicy points. It was going to be 2-2 or 3-1 at the end, and under Robinson it would probably have remained at 1-1 after a nice Bristol Rovers equaliser.

A funny old game as they say, it is worth repeating that all the teams at this level have enough to hurt ya...if you let them.

I thought that once again the other manager deployed substitutes well, Bowyer had quite limited options, and the introduction of Rodman for Rovers might have just got them an equaliser at the end. Instead we have the grin inducing glory of their keeper going up, right decision, but we got the breakaway and with all of us grinning more widely Karlan (who had an average game otherwise) finished it off.

Some nice specifics in the match, two good saves by Steer, especially an outstanding 'strong hand' save in the first half. Steer also provided an excellent release, and assist, for Ward's goal which he took really well. Steer had one weak punch in the game but otherwise played well, even getting a touch on their goal.

Worth remembering that Solly continues to play out of position, and it is easy to take the great little man for granted, he did well. better than Anfernee, although Djiksteel stuck to it, and when he does make an error it is rarely crucial, but he still pops up when a crucial intervention is needed.
    Bauer and Steer were rock solid mainly and they are our best CB pairing. In about the eighth minute Lapslie missed a chance to put us ahead after a quite dazzling attack, but he didn't put his foot through the ball and it was blocked, however I thought young George played well. Aribo and Ward are neck and neck for MOM. The best Ward has played for us, and a lovely goal, Aribo exudes class at this level and he too scored a decent goal.
    Ajose is no Lyle Taylor leading the line, and no Cullen on set pieces either, but he wasn't particularly moody today, and Karlan is chasing down Taylor as top scorer.

The game overall was patchy, with Bristol Rovers certainly having some good spells of play. However Rovers are low on confidence right now, and we might not have done so well against a better team today because of some of our sustained rather lethargic play in periods of the game.

Nobody can moan though, three points at home is what we demanded and what was delivered, we will play like Brazil some other game.
  • ^^ Bauer and Pearce? I know Steer does like to play the ball but normally has the gloves on.
  • Solid win won from midfield rather than Grant and Ajose. Ajose first half good and second half poor. God was Taylor missed up front and with him Grant looks not so good. Back four and midfield especially Ward and Pearce were solid.Ward injects creativity and zip and attitude and fires things up ever so well. Hope he plays Tuesday. With Taylor back we will be better than today and we will need to be. We made hard work of that but who cares; we are still in the pack and have closed the gap.
  • Far from a classic that one. Rovers could have added 2 more to the scoreline in the first half were it not for Steers strong one handed save and a narrowly missed cross in the box. We seemed to take our foot off the gas after we scored and Rovers equalised with a pile driver from Martin. As usual the last few minutes were butt clenching and Steers tip over the bar kept us in front . With the keeper up for the resulting corner we managed to squirm it into Fosus path ( who I thought controlled the ball with his arm ) and sent it clear for Grant to get the 3rd.
  • 3 points is the objective and that’s what we achieved but the score both flattered and reflected the performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:

Bielik getting a few Pelters today but aside from a couple of glaring errors I thought he was solid. Won plenty in the tackle and in the air and his touch was generally very good. Think people focus on one or two mistakes and label him as having a stinker

I thought he started well and by no means had a stinker but compared to his normal standards it was below par
  • Halix said:

Can’t really comment on the game but I thought the good looking guy who took the crossbar Challenge was excellent...

Did two blokes have a go because the one I saw was fucking useless!.
    How dare you !

;-)
  • Joe Aribo

@J_Aribo19
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    Dug deep to get the win, delighted to get on the scoresheet ⚽️! Massive thanks to the fans for your continued support. We go again 🔴⚪️ #CAFC
  • George Lapslie

@GeorgeLapslie
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    Unreal support again today, buzzing to get the 3 points 🔥 Focus goes on to Tuesday night ⚽️😁
  • Jed Steer

Verified account

@JedSteer
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    3 wins on the spin! Let’s keep it going! Thanks for your support today 👏🏻👍🏻⚽️ @CAFCofficial #cafc

• Karlan

@karlangrant
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    This team🔥