Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jake Thackeray

Just wondered if there were any fans of the great Jake on here ?

Comments

• Mr Bean lookalike?
  • Yes! I have CD of his with all his songs on and a recorded programme from BBC4 about his life and songs.
  • Clever, if troubled man, very droll observer of life .. died years ago .. I'm not a fan, more an admirer of his work which I have not heard for long time
  • My partner is. I can take or leave him.
  • Clever, if troubled man, very droll observer of life .. died years ago .. I'm not a fan, more an admirer of his work which I have not heard for long time

I'm about the same as you, Lincs - the thread brought back memories of him though.
  • Have always loved him but haven’t listened for a few years. The documentary on him is on YouTube. Absolute genius.
  • Yes - loved him. Sister Josephine and On again, on again particular faves.
  • Watched him live in the 70's, good show
  • iainment said:

My partner is. I can take or leave him.

Who, your partner?
  • iainment said:

Who, your partner?
    The Oscar Wilde of CL strikes again.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
  • Never liked his stuff tbh. Used to be on something like Braden's Week way back when (that's one for the real oldies!).
  • Addickted said:
    Amazing! Never heard of Jake before either.
  • Yes. Came to his stuff late in life but love it. Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leON-71pRns
  • A wonderful lyricist was Jake
  • Saw him in concert several times. Absolutely brilliant. Although best known for his humourous songs he also wrote some very moving and thoughtful serious stuff as well.
  • Davo55 said:

Never liked his stuff tbh. Used to be on something like Braden's Week way back when (that's one for the real oldies!).

Also a regular on 'Thats Life',in the '70's,i also couldn't stand him.
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

Who, your partner?
    The Oscar Wilde of CL strikes again.
    You know me, I can resist everything except temptation
  • Davo55 said:

Never liked his stuff tbh. Used to be on something like Braden's Week way back when (that's one for the real oldies!).

I am one of those real oldies. His job on those shows to cobble a song together about a news item of the week. Given that he had perhaps less than 24/hours to write the thing, some of them border on genius. Sister Josephine was based on a newstory about an escaped prisoner who was found hiding in a convent.

“ Oh Sister Josephine,
    Captain of the convent pontoon team:
    A right funny nun you are. “

• Mametz said:

Davo55 said:

I am one of those real oldies. His job on those shows to cobble a song together about a news item of the week. Given that he had perhaps less than 24/hours to write the thing, some of them border on genius. Sister Josephine was based on a newstory about an escaped prisoner who was found hiding in a convent.

“ Oh Sister Josephine,
    Captain of the convent pontoon team:
    A right funny nun you are. “

‘Admittedly her hands are big and hairy’
    and embellished with a curious tattoo.
    Admittedly her voice is in the deep side
    and she seems to shave more often than the other sisters do’

Absolutely classic. My favourite will always be ‘ Isabel makes love upon national monuments’.